Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good news from Moto on Bluetooth Sync / Car connections?

Device(s)
    Present: iPhone 2.5G
    Carrier(s)
    Present: AT&T (iPhone I)
    Feedback Score

Question Good news from Moto on Bluetooth Sync / Car connections?

From a thread on PhoneScoop, I ran across this post on SvenRox.com:
    Motorola Confirms Bluetooth Problem

I just got off the phone with Motorola Support and they confirmed that the V710 does not have OBEX and can not do data transmissions. Hence, no Mobile Phone Tools and no PDA connectivity. Motorola was aware of this problem and asked all vendors not to ship the product until the new firmware was released; however, Radio Shack seemed to have jumped the gun. This is why Verizon stores do not carry the V710.

What does this mean to Radio Shack bleeding edge users? You just can't use your Bluetooth for data connectivity until the firmware is released in "...about three weeks." Once released, we can either take our phone to an authorized Motorola repair shop or to a Verizon store and they will flash the phone to the new firmware with OBEX support. Motorola support did not confirm or deny if this will be a free upgrade; however, Verizon may have many irate customers on their hands and I would think give the update for free regardless where the phone was purchased.

In order to use Mobile Phone Tools at this time, you'll need to hardwire it via the USB cable available on Motorola's site or elsewhere on the web. This would be a wise purchase at this time so you can back-up your phone prior to the flash update which erases all settings you may have added up to this point. The MPT restore will put back all your settings and Phone Book back to there original state after the flash. Once the flash is completed, you can then effectively change the Communications setting to Bluetooth.

One final note, since there is no OBEX support, this will also prevent communication of, really, any type from your PDA. While I have had some success sending phone numbers for dialing (but then disconnecting the phone) and connecting to the phone for the Internet (then authentication fails), it is really not usable at this point. The firmware upgrade should fix this, too, according to Motorola support.
    While that provides a brief glimmer of hope for those of us who were looking forward to wirelessly syncing our Macs/PCs with a V710, this post on Phonescoop reaffirms some of that info, but casts some doubt on whether or not VZW will provide OBEX support in a mid-August firmware update:

I talked to Motorola software support this morning. Sorry if this is duplicate information...

The v710 currently does not support data transfer. There is no OPP - Object Push Profile - available on the handset. Motorola is releasing a software update for the v710 on 8/16, which will fix bugs related to BT headset and Acura/BMW car kit functionality. The rep told me that they are currently deciding whether to include OPP in the 8/16 software update. He told me to call back on 8/13, because at that point they'll know what the software update will include.

So, until then...no data transferring is possible between the v710, PC, and/or BT enabled Palm, or other PIM device...and even then it may never happen. I asked him what his gut feeling was, and he said that in the past they've come out with a new phone rather than make such a drastic change in functionality to current model.

He enthusiastically added that the v600 has BT and OPP - and I enthusiastically added that I'm locked into Verizon for the next 18 months. The conversation pretty much ended there.
    Any thoughts/confirmations?

I should probably add, for the benefit of any wandering VZW Reps who happen upon this thread, that bluetooth syncing is the number one feature I'm looking for in a phone -- I don't need photos, or videos, MP3 ringtones, or even games -- all I want is to manage contacts between my PowerBook, my PowerMac at work, my PowerMac at home, my Sony Clie NZ90 and my phone without any cables.

I even went so far as to hack an SE T608 to work on Verizon's network (and it would still be my phone, except in that it was a piece of junk and died within 72 hours) -- that's how much I want bluetooth data connectivity.
    Last edited by mustang_dvs; 08-02-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola V635
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the thread. I was disappointed when I read file transfer wouldnt be possible. If the update does include that ability, I'll be all over it.

Device(s)
    Moto W385 (until a VZW iPhone......)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

v710: Moto Says There Is a Bluetooth Problem!

Looks like the "bleeding edge" RS buyers got hosed on this one, at least temporarily...........

Guess there was a reason VZ didn't release this unit right away. Will it be resolved by the 11th? Who knows!

From Phonescoop Boards:

Here is the official word from the Mobile Phone Tools support people at Motorola;

This phone was not supposed to be released because the BT data transfer portion of the phone's operating system is malfunctioning. Motorola KNOWS there is an issue with BT and data and is currently working on a "patch" and will have it by the end of the month. At that time the customer can take their phone to Verizon or a Motorola repair center to have the patch installed.

In the meantime, those who are dissatisfied can return their phone to Radio Shack and the Mobile Phone Tools software for a refund. If you purchased and downloaded the software online, call 866-426-3264.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted on http://svenrox.com.

I just got off the phone with Motorola Support and they confirmed that the V710 does not have OBEX and can not do data transmissions. Hence, no Mobile Phone Tools and no PDA connectivity. Motorola was aware of this problem and asked all vendors not to ship the product until the new firmware was released; however, Radio Shack seemed to have jumped the gun. This is why Verizon stores do not carry the V710.

What does this mean to Radio Shack bleeding edge users? You just can't use your Bluetooth for data connectivity until the firmware is released in "...about three weeks." Once released, we can either take our phone to an authorized Motorola repair shop or to a Verizon store and they will flash the phone to the new firmware with OBEX support. Motorola support did not confirm or deny if this will be a free upgrade; however, Verizon may have many irate customers on their hands and I would think give the update for free regardless where the phone was purchased.

In order to use Mobile Phone Tools at this time, you'll need to hardwire it via the USB cable available on Motorola's site or elsewhere on the web. This would be a wise purchase at this time so you can back-up your phone prior to the flash update which erases all settings you may have added up to this point. The MPT restore will put back all your settings and Phone Book back to there original state after the flash. Once the flash is completed, you can then effectively change the Communications setting to Bluetooth.

One final note, since there is no OBEX support, this will also prevent communication of, really, any type from your PDA. While I have had some success sending phone numbers for dialing (but then disconnecting the phone) and connecting to the phone for the Internet (then authentication fails), it is really not usable at this point. The firmware upgrade should fix this, too, according to Motorola support.

Device(s)
    Treo 750
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Does this include using the V710 as modem for a laptop via BT?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I think all of us knew it was crippled from the get go. I believe it's going to be news to us that Motorola and Verizon is working on a firmware update to enable OBEX transfers.

We can only hope ...
    Space for Rent

Device(s)
    V710 (september 30)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    OBEX??? I just cant see that happening, I wish though

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    no PDA connectivity??? that's strange, because I setup my wife's iPaq to dialup using NA using her new V710 (from RS) and she's been using it all day to check email... so, working fine here.

Device(s)
    Some Type of Blackberry
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by kylekim
    Well, I think all of us knew it was crippled from the get go. I believe it's going to be news to us that Motorola and Verizon is working on a firmware update to enable OBEX transfers.

We can only hope ...
    True... but when you think about it, whats the big deal about disabling OBEX Transfers from VZW's point of view?

I can't send a picture to another V710 directly via BT.. OK, but how often will that situation happen? Hardly a GIN threat IMO.

If VZW wanted to protect GIN content, there wouldn't be a TF Card!

The i600 is existing proof that VZW isnt that overly concerned about protecting its value added content... If I remember right, it doesnt even have GIN!!

My 2 Cents... thats all.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Not to be a wet blanket, but this topic has already been covered, in greater detail by an earlier thread -- let's try to keep the duplicate threads to a minimum...

Good news from Moto on Bluetooth Sync / Car Connections?

Device(s)
    Moto V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Could this issue be the reason why I can not sync my calendar via mPT with my phone? I am hard wired via USB and have only gotten my contacts over from my PC (using Lotus Notes as my PIM).

Anyone out there have any experience getting Notes to sync both calendar and contacts with the phone via cable?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Actually, it's the post on Phonescoop that calls it a 'problem' -- the original Motorola statement doesn't refer to the Bluetooth capabilities of the v710 as 'problematic' or 'erroneous,' nor are there any such implications.

You've taken the hyperbole that pervades the internet as fact.

Read the original messages from Moto here.

Device(s)
    HTC VX6800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Lotus Bloats...er Notes has a problem with reoccuring appointments and syncing. My coworker users MPT with her V600 and it always croaks on the calender and reoccuring appointment patterns.

I use the Domino Connector with Oulook and have no problem though.

J

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This must be why, while I have no problems with my V710 and HS810 headset, I cannot get the thing to work with either my PowerBook or iPaq for data.

Looks like I'll be returning this one and buying it when it actually works right.

It's a shame, too, because it's such a nice phone. I like it more than the V600, which I had for a little bit.

Feedback Score

Help for the newbies

What the hell is OBEX?

Device(s)
    Treo 750
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dartworth
    Does this include using the V710 as modem for a laptop via BT?

All I know is that I connect my V710 to my Dell Inspiron 8600 via BT and use it for a modem.

Here is a screen shot of the connection

http://www.v710.org/images/screen.JPG
    Last edited by dartworth; 08-02-2004 at 10:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast