Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Activating phones intended for another carrier on Verizon?

Phones
    LG VX6000
    V60i
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Newer Better Phones!

Ok we all know that compared to other networks, verizon has well...a crap selection. Ive been told this is possible but i dont know....

1. Can you take a phone from a diff service (specifically im lookin at sprints Sanyo vm4500) and hack it or something and get it to work on verizon?

2. Has anyone done this with a phone?

3. If so, how has it worked in reguards to service, programs, and features on the phone. (Im guessing using Get it now would be out of the question?)

If this will work, i think we all could be saved the exasperation of choosing between verizons less than great selection of phones.
    "If you dont live for something, you'll die for nothing."

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can do this, but there are problems.

#1, you need the MSL from the original carrier. Can be a huge pain in the rear.

#2 most features will not work. You end up with esentially a voice only phone which defeats the purpose.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With recent changes to the activation system (happened this week), anyone trying to activate non Verizon phones will probably not be able to do it.

They made a change this week to our activation system that when it doesn't recognize what kind of phone it is, it will not allow it to be activated. They have a huge database of ESN #'s it checks them against. I wonder how long it will before the VZServe ESN changer does the same (if not already).

I have 3 loaner phones so far it has kicked out that are now worthless to me due to them not being in the system even though they are phones that Verizon has offered before.

KC

Phones
    Nokia 5610
    Nokia N95 8GB NAM-4
    Carrier
    AT&T/Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    holy crap are you serious about that _KC_? I spent a good load on my phones...

Feedback Score
    no hes right, at radioshack we got the memo yesterday concerning the fact that EROES, the system we use to activate phones will not allow non-gps 911 phones to be activated on verizon. it went on further to say that verizon has created a database a la sprint pcs of useable ESN's and that if we encounter a problem there is a number for us to call that will allow us to send the phone back to our wharehouse for proper credit

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by _KC_
    With recent changes to the activation system (happened this week), anyone trying to activate non Verizon phones will probably not be able to do it.
    I was not able to use the on-line activation, but VZW's tech support was able to activate the phone after I convinced them it was really a CDMA phone.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Ryan in East ID
    #1, you need the MSL from the original carrier. Can be a huge pain in the rear.

#2 most features will not work. You end up with essentially a voice only phone which defeats the purpose.
    Yep, you need the MSL. The MSL is a 6-digit password the phone requires you to enter before allowing you (or anyone) into the carrier configuration menus. A phone where the MSL is not know, is sometimes referred to as "locked". A phone where the MSL is set to a trivial value, like "000000", is sometimes referred to as "unlocked".

Yep, I can only do voice and "message waiting indicator" from Verizon. One problem is that until recently Sprint and Verizon did TXT messaging differently.

However, phone features still work like bluetooth, and direct file/sound/picture transfer.

Phones
    Nokia 6585
    Nokia 3589i
    Motorola V60c
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

They made a change this week to our activation system that when it doesn't recognize what kind of phone it is, it will not allow it to be activated. They have a huge database of ESN #'s it checks them against. I wonder how long it will before the VZServe ESN changer does the same (if not already).
    Any more details on this? I have two ESN #'s for Nokia 6585 phones that I am unable to activate through VZServe. I know that in the recent past, others have been able to activate this phone online.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Oh crap! I can't activate my Nokia 3585i (the Alltel Simple Freedom phone from WalMart) anymore. Just to be sure the activation system wasn't down completely, I tried switching to my old V60i. It went through fine. I tried activating the Nokia again, and once again, it didn't work. I switched back from my V60i to the V60s, and it worked fine.

I can no longer activate my 3585!!! This is pretty sucky. I used the 3585i only a few weekends ago on a trip to my friend's lake cabin.

Test results pending for a very old Qualcomm QCP2035a. . .

Update: And the Qualcomm QCP2035a, an older Verizon phone, which I don't think has any e911 features, still activates and works fine.

So, Verizon has eighty-sixed my non-Verizon Nokia from their system. Why!?!
    Last edited by thegonagle; 08-06-2004 at 04:52 PM.

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Moto L2 & L6, Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I was unable to activate my V710 online via VZServe/My Account earlier this week...I called CS and the first-level CS rep couldn't either(!), but tech support activated it with no problem. That, of course, is probably because VZW itself didn't have the V710 fully populated in their systems yet. (I noticed that right after I activated it My Account showed it as an unknown phone, but started showing it a a V710 yesterday.)

If the system is screening based on GPS capability, this means I have only three phones that can now be activated with VZW (short of calling tech support): my Audiovox 9500, my v60s, and my V710.

-SC
    red: / yellow: / pink: / orange: / Little Rock blue: / Metro: uh, no.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

Phones
    Motorola V710
    Audiovox 9500
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by blazinride
    no hes right, at radioshack we got the memo yesterday concerning the fact that EROES, the system we use to activate phones will not allow non-gps 911 phones to be activated on verizon. it went on further to say that verizon has created a database a la sprint pcs of useable ESN's and that if we encounter a problem there is a number for us to call that will allow us to send the phone back to our wharehouse for proper credit
    I got the memo too. It's funny I got it from the fedex guy RIGHT after activating a kyocera 2135 on the prepaid system.... on the 4th.

The phone works fine.

(the 2135 was cuxtomer supplied BTW.)

Amadon

EDIT: BTW.. I'm sure it's not that the new policy isn't really going on.. it's just that they didn't have that ESN in the DB as blocked yet.

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score
    It's funny in a way. The only thing that has kept me on Verizon is the fact that I can use a Nokia 6585 (nice small Nokia candybar).

If I had to use one of the phone's Verizon offers, I would rather just cancel and go with another carrier.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Phones
    Nokia 6585
    Nokia 3589i
    Motorola V60c
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just called Verizon CS to try to get my Nokia 6585 activated. Both the CS rep and the Technical Support guy told me that the phone was not recognized on their network and therefore can't be activated. I asked them to try to activate it anyway, and they insisted that their system was not letting them do that.

The tech support guy didn't know if there had been any recent changes to their activation system.

Phones
    Samsung A930
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just tried to activate my 3585i and I can't. Did they deactivate all the non verizon phones or will they just prevent you from activating it? Anyone get verizon to reactivate their 3585i?

If you have previously used your phone on the verizon network how can they tell you its not compatible?

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure they're not going to spontaneously deactivate people without warning. A good way to lose customers.

My 6585 is working just fine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast