Thread: what does HTTP Error 503 mean?

Phone
    DROID X
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score

what does HTTP Error 503 mean?

I am trying out a Readylink phone and the first day was fine, but now when I try and access the web or PCS mail I am getting the following reading:

HTTP Error 503: The requested service is not available. The service you requested is temporarily unavailable. The service may be unavailable because the server has reached the limitof the number of requests it is willing to serve in parallel. This number depends on the type of request you were submitting. If the document you requested was a dynamic document it may be that the application generating these documents is currently not running.

I removed the battery and no change. My buddy's phone is working fine, no outages or issues. Called cs and they have no idea. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.
    "Why so SERIOUS?"

Phones
    Palm(One) Treo 650
    Palm(One) Treo Wireless Headset
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    503 - Service unavailable

Introduction

Your Web server is currently unable to handle the HTTP request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. The implication is that this is a temporary condition which will be alleviated after some delay. Some servers in this state may also simply refuse the socket connection, in which case a different error may be generated because the socket creation timed out.

503 errors in the HTTP cycle

Any client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) goes through the following cycle when it communicates with your Web server:

Obtain an IP address from the IP name of your site (your site URL without the leading 'http://'). This lookup (conversion of IP name to IP address) is provided by domain name servers (DNSs).
    Open an IP socket connection to that IP address.
    Write an HTTP data stream through that socket.
    Receive an HTTP data stream back from your Web server in response. This data stream contains status codes whose values are determined by the HTTP protocol. Parse this data stream for status codes and other useful information.
    This error occurs in the final step above when the client receives an HTTP status code that it recognises as '503'.

Resolving 503 errors

Your Web server is effectively 'closed for repair'. It is still functioning minimally because it can at least respond with a 503 status code, but full service is impossible i.e. your Web site is simply unavailable. There are a myriad possible reasons for this, but generally it is because of some human intervention by the operators of your Web server machine. You can usually expect that someone is working on the problem, and normal service will resume as soon as possible.

Please contact the system operators of your Web site (e.g. your ISP) to determine why the service is down. They will be in a much better position to help you than we are for this type of error.

Phone
    DROID X
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    letsgoflyers81- thanks very much for your reply, I appreciate it.

Phones
    Palm(One) Treo 650
    Palm(One) Treo Wireless Headset
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    No problem.