Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How Cingular does things. (Comparison shop with other providers)

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by justmeagain
    The last person at cingular I spoke to told me that not only am I charged 10cents everytime I send and receive a text message ( which I knew) that I am ALSO charged 10cent everytime I just REREAD an already saved text message on my phone.
    Actually this question follows a theme of the earlier threads, namely:

"Cingular charges you for using their towers"

In your instance you get charged the $.10 while that text message gets delivered to that phone. (Because it uses the towers)

Once it's on the phone you can read it as often as you want without any charge at all (Because it doesn't use the towers)

I'm not sure how she was so misinformed, once the Text Messages are saved to the phone you aren't charged any additional fee.

Same thing for email, once it's downloaded, and you pay the GPRS data charge, that's it. But accessing the email that's stored online WOULD require you to download the same page over and over again (unless it's cached). Of course you didn't ask about that, but I just thought I'd throw that in.
    -kilo <<I used to work as a Customer Service Representative and then as a Tier II Technical Support Representative for Cingular Wireless LLC most of my info you can associate with TX OK AR KS MO>>

Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Thank you so much kilo, for your reply. I really argued with her about how ridiculous it sounded and she kept saying "yes mam I understand , they do it to my phone too". I am going to call later today and get someone else and tell them what I was told AND her name so they can stop her from spreading her ignorance on this subject. I appreciate your response.
    Have a great day! LS

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson T616
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    So would it be safe to say that the shareable features are those that don't require a monthly payment?
    Not quite. When the billing system provisions the group level rate plan. It adds what is included in that rate plan to all phones in the group. Since there are no additional costs associated with any of these, they work just as if they had been added on each line seperately EXCEPT that if I wanted to add a 2.99 text plan, for example, onto one of the subscribers in the group. I'd have to remove the group level Pay per Use (which effectively removes the text feature from each phone line), then add the 2.99 text to the one subscriber which requested it.. and then go back and reprovision the Pay per Use text feature on each of the other subscribers. (trying to re-provision the group level or leaving it on instead of removing it in the first place causes errors for "duplicate features")

What about the International Long Distance packages where they give you a lower international rate for a monthly fee? Can that be shared? If not, I guess there isn't really any feature that requires a monthly payment and can be shared because what would be the point on adding M2M if the rate plans already include it?
    Nothing other than Mobile to Mobile (that I'm aware of) can be added as a shared feature. Everything else is subscriber-level. Remember that FamilyTalk is not synonomous with Mobile to Mobile. Lots of Family plans do not include the mobile to mobile feature, which is why it's so good to have the option of adding shared M2M as an additional.

By the way, what about International Roaming and International Dialing? Can those be added once and shared across the family plan? These don't require a monthly payment.
    No. The International Roaming provision strips the international calling restrictions that are located in the switch.. it also provides current billing information (such as the current rates and how to handle long distance while roaming internationally). This is kept subscriber specific. I can think of several reasons why it would be done this way instead of being shared.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can someone clarify what Night and Weekend mintutes are? I tried looking in the common questions on Cingular site, but when I click on the questions, a blank answer comes up. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Something I've never understood about night minutes is when do they start (and end). I know it's 9 PM, but if I am traveling is it 9 PM in the time zone that I am at or 9 PM for my home time zone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by CarolynC
    Something I've never understood about night minutes is when do they start (and end). I know it's 9 PM, but if I am traveling is it 9 PM in the time zone that I am at or 9 PM for my home time zone.
    I'm 99% sure it's 9 PM in the time zone that you are currently located in. So if your home area is in EST, but you are in PST, you will be charged based on when it's 9 PM PST.

Feedback Score
    I do believe it ends at 7 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score

Cingular Nights and Weekends

If your plan doesn't mention you have Night and Weekend minutes, then don't assume you do.

If your plan mentions that you have Night and Weekend minutes here is how they are currently timed (per 10/4/2004)

Any phone call you initiate between 7:00AM-9PM Monday-Friday will count as Anytime minutes for the duration of the call.

So if you do happen to initiate a phone call at 8:59 AM it will not automatically switch to Night and Weekend minutes after it becomes 9PM. Same thing with any call initiated before 7AM, it will continue to bill as Night and Weekend minutes even after 7AM

Many plans allow you to start your Night and Weekend minutes at 7PM for an additional price every month, usually twice that if you have a "Family Talk" plan. (Currently it's $7/month, $14 on a family talk)

Device(s)
    SE T637
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Also, a small quirk with N&W Minutes. Call Time Is dependant not only on when the call started, but where.

Example:
    Home Market is in CST, and you're traveling to EST.

In this situation you will have 2 different times for NW Minutes.

When placing calls outbound, the system tracks the call time as when you placed the initial call in the local time of your current area, so say, 9:05 EST = NW.

When a call is placed to you inbound, however, it routes through the home area and Time Stamps there. So 9:05 EST is still 8:05 CST = DT when someone calls you, because the call will route to your home location first.

Cingular Call Center Rep For South Central From August '03 - April '05. Left Due To Relocation For School.

Device(s)
    Motorola MPx220
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    What if I get a $39.99 2 year plan, and then decide I need to (due to use) add on a MEdia Net plan... Does that extend my entire contract back out to 2 years, or is the MEdia Net plan added on as a MtM plan?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by alde
    What if I get a $39.99 2 year plan, and then decide I need to (due to use) add on a MEdia Net plan... Does that extend my entire contract back out to 2 years, or is the MEdia Net plan added on as a MtM plan?
    MEdia Net Basic/Works are features, not plans

additionally, they are not considered "promotional elements that would require a contract extension", so adding that feature would not extend your contract.

Occasionally promotional elements of a feature like "unlimited text messaging for a month when adding a $2.99 text messaging plan"

well there I go now, calling it a plan. I guess Cingular must sometimes call them features plans eh?
    Last edited by kilo; 04-15-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Device(s)
    nokia 3600
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does the Media Net Unlimited package include text messaging?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by MewtwoSama
    Does the Media Net Unlimited package include text messaging?
    no, the MEdia Basic and MEdia Works plans include some "MEdia Net" and TXT Messaging, but the $24.99 MEdia Net Unlimited is internet only (right now)

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Do Prorations apply to Media Packages as well?

I understand about prorating for anytime minutes if you change calling plans. If you would change Media Net packages, is this similar? In my case I have the MediaNet Basic with 512kb. It has now been upgraded to 1MB and I would like to switch to that. If I do it mid-month, do I only get a 256K allotment for the first half? Thanks, Kilo...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by khouck1979
    I understand about prorating for anytime minutes if you change calling plans. If you would change Media Net packages, is this similar? ... If I do it mid-month, do I only get a 256K allotment for the first half? Thanks, Kilo...
    I can say for certain that it will prorate a TXT messaging package, I would bet the same is true for kilobytes of data.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast