Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How Cingular does things. (Comparison shop with other providers)

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Simply Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Cingular fees vs T-mo fees

WOW! I had no idea Cingular had so many fees!

I would just like to compare them to what t-mo charges:

Act fee: $35 per line
    Restore fee (if account is restored from suspend for non-pay) $10 per line
    If the account is ever cancelled for non-pay (assuming it was not been written off and gone to collections) It can be restored without another credit check when the balance is paid with only the $10 restore fee.--That blows me away that cingular may require another deposit for an existing customer's line!

ETF: $200 per line (not prorated)
    charge to change phone number: none!
    Also, if your rate plan (or features like sms) is ever prorated, the minutes will never be prorated (you will get the full minues), only the charges are prorated!

If you cancel your account with T-Mo, the final bill will be prorated for the number of days of active service..They will not charge you for the full month!

T-mo does not charge you per KB for downloading ringtones, either. You can download polyphonic for $1.49 and MP3 (HiFi) for $1.99 total cost (well plus tax i guess)! But you can access the limited tzones deck all day and it will not charge you for access or data transfer.
    Also, T-Mo does not bill you in advance.

Anyways just FYI.....
    Last edited by crazyk4952; 06-18-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyk4952
    WOW! I had no idea Cingular had so many fees!<<<>>>
    Act fee: $35 per line
    Restore fee (if account is restored from suspend for non-pay) $10 per line<<<>>>
    Activation Fee for Cingular: $36 for one line, unless Family talk, then $18 per line
    Restoral Fee for Cingular $36 per account (even if the account has 5 lines it's just one $36 charge total)
    -kilo <<I used to work as a Customer Service Representative and then as a Tier II Technical Support Representative for Cingular Wireless LLC most of my info you can associate with TX OK AR KS MO>>

Device(s)
    Motorola MPx220
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    So, now that cingular has revamped their media works plans, I'll rephrase my question...

So, you have MEdia Net unlimited for $19.99, which provides unlimited MB of wireless internet... Does this mean WAP only? Can I get real HTML access to the internet with this plan?

Following on, there's the $44.99 unlimited data connect... But I'm getting an MPx220... I don't think I can get this plan with that phone...

And then comes text messaging... Since none of that is covered by the MEdia Net Unlimited plan, does that mean I'd need to get the MEdia Net Works Basic plan to have any included text/mms included?

It seems rather far sighted to not include text/sms/mms messages in the MEdia Net Unlimited plan...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alde
    So, now that cingular has revamped their media works plans, I'll rephrase my question...

So, you have MEdia Net unlimited for $19.99, which provides unlimited MB of wireless internet... Does this mean WAP only? Can I get real HTML access to the internet with this plan?

Following on, there's the $44.99 unlimited data connect... But I'm getting an MPx220... I don't think I can get this plan with that phone...

And then comes text messaging... Since none of that is covered by the MEdia Net Unlimited plan, does that mean I'd need to get the MEdia Net Works Basic plan to have any included text/mms included?

It seems rather far sighted to not include text/sms/mms messages in the MEdia Net Unlimited plan...
    no restriction for WAP only pages, if your phone cannot support real HTML pages though, those won't show up on your phone.

MEdia Basic, and MEdia Works are packages of TXT/MMS/WAP all rolled together

When I say WAP, I mean the ability to connect to the internet wirelessly from your phone by using Cingulars towers, and these days they have been calling WAP "MEdia Net".

The MEdia Net Unlimited, is just that, unlimited internet. It's aimed at those people who aren't into Text Messaging at all, or the Basic or Works packages don't work for at all because they have to few or to many text messages.

And if you have MEdia Net Unlimited, I think you can just setup your phone to just email pictures instead of using MMS, and if you did that, you wouldn't need any MMS anyhow.

Device(s)
    Treo 700p
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Kilo,

Is there any indication that Cingular will allow users with shared plans to start sharing Data features?

Do you know of any providers that do?

Thanks . . .

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent_vance
    Is there any indication that Cingular will allow users with shared plans to start sharing Data features?
    Do you know of any providers that do?
    I know new plans are coming out in September, but I'm not sure if it offers a feature like that. I've been out of the game to long

I don't know if any other providers offer that, I'd encourage users in other provider forums to make a similar post like this in their FAQ.

Device(s)
    Treo 700p
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response Kilo.

Regarding Cingular's "Roll-Over", is there a limit to it? For example, can you only accumulate (rollover) minutes during a one year time period, or is there say a 10,000 minute cap, or maybe there is no limit?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Cingular has...

Rollover
    Nationwide GSM Service (and NO roaming fees)
    Great network and awsome phones!

I don't think many other carriers have roaming with every carrier in the USA (that uses that technology - GSM and doesn't charge for it)

And no carrier has rollover

Device(s)
    motorola v3 razr
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Orange
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent_vance
    Thanks for the response Kilo.

Regarding Cingular's "Roll-Over", is there a limit to it? For example, can you only accumulate (rollover) minutes during a one year time period, or is there say a 10,000 minute cap, or maybe there is no limit?

Thanks.
    There is no limit, rollover minutes expire after 12 months.

Device(s)
    V3 Black
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    When you call the 800 directory...

1 800 555 1212

It automaticly routes you to Cingular 411 and you get charged.

Biggest crock of $#R%@[email protected]#.

You can dial the 800 directory from a pay phone no problem...but not from your mobile.

James

Device(s)
    Nokia 2260
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhumien
    There is no limit, rollover minutes expire after 12 months.
    Does this refresh with each "addition" to your rollover? What if you continuously rollover a small amount each month? Do you use your rollover minutes first each month or do you use your standard plan minutes first?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard442
    Does this refresh with each "addition" to your rollover? What if you continuously rollover a small amount each month? Do you use your rollover minutes first each month or do you use your standard plan minutes first?
    You use your stanadard plan minutes first, then once you go over them, that is when you start using your rolled over minutes from the first month.

i.e. you have a Nation 450 w/RO that first month you only used 400 of those so 50 gets rolled over into the next month. You use 400 of the 450 again so now you have 50 from the first month and 50 from the second month rolled into your third month.

Now say for this third month you use all of your 450, then you will start using minutes from the first rolled over month which would be 50. Say you only end up using 25 of that fifty, then those 25 goes into your fourth month along with the 50 from the second month. Since you used all of your third months minutes, there is no minutes to rollover except the ones from the first and second months.

Now say in this fourth month you use all of your 450, then you will start using those 25 minutes from the first month and should you go over those, you dip into the second months 50 rolled over minutes. If you end up using all of those 50, then you start to get charged overage minutes.

Now say if you never go over your rate plans minutes and continuously rollover a small amount, then after the first year, the first months rolled over minutes would be lost and in the above case(skip the red) would be the 25 rolled over minutes. If you skip both the blue and red then the 50 rolled over minutes would be lost.
    Last edited by Mango808; 09-17-2005 at 01:32 AM.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    HP IPAQ 6315, Motorola v3 Razr, Motorola E398, Motorola V300
    Carrier(s)
    tried using SE T610 (lame), NOKIA 6220 with sprint pcs (LAMER!)
    Feedback Score

tmobile vs. cingular

hey kilo!

was thinking of changing from tmobile to cingular. would this be a wise or smart move?

concerns before moving:

will i be able to recieve and send text messages from the states and abroad? i am assuming the answer would be yes as you have already mentioned CINGULAR being a GSM network.

i travel a lot internationally, would i be able to have my cingular phone unlocked for use in other countries like say, the Philippines?

how is the service? this is in terms of connectivity. will i worry of any diminished signals? will i experience dropped calls?

how is the coverage? will i be able to make calls practically anywhere? (yes, including when im in the restroom )

i am really contemplating on moving as i am thinking we will be saving with the plan they have and that CINGULAR has the ROLLOVER program.

thanks in advance kilo..
    CINGULAR 8525
    ======================
    ROM:Black-IV-Shadow
    ROM DATE: 5/10/07
    RADIO VER:1.43.00.00
    PROTOCOL VER:32.76.7020.19H

HP IPAQ 6315 UNLOCKED
    ======================
    Product Revision Level 1.0
    ROM Date: 07/10/04
    ROM Revision: 1.00.01 ENG
    OS Version: 4.20.0.3

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bapski
    was thinking of changing from tmobile to cingular. would this be a wise or smart move?
    Well of course I'm going to be biased since I work for Cingular, plus I don't know the ins and outs of any provider other than Cingular. Aside from Cingular (or Southwestern Bell Wireless as it used to be known when I first started) I've only paid for service with TracFone PrePaid Wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski
    will i be able to recieve and send text messages from the states and abroad? would i be able to have my cingular phone unlocked for use in other countries?
    how is the service?
    I do know that there was an issue with ported in numbers being able to receive TXT messages that originated in other countries. That may be fixed already, but you could know for sure during your trial period.
    You can have your phone unlocked by Cingular after 3 months of on-time payments. But if you are already with T-Mobile, ask them to unlock your current T-Mobile phone, and that way you can use it internationally as well.

You do need to have a phone that has the GSM bands of 900 and 1800 if you plan on doing this. I suggest these helpful resources:
    http://www.gsmworld.com/
    http://www.phonescoop.com/

About the service: 30 day trial.

Walk into your friendly neighborhood Cingular store, ask to see the "mapping tool" to see if we even offer service in your zip code, if we do, select a phone and plan with more minutes than you think you need. It'll seem expensive at first, but the extra minutes is to test the network.

Then travel to the areas you work / live / play. Test it till it breaks. Go into the deepest corner of the basement and try to make/receive a call, then come halfway out of your basement and try, then on the first floor, second floor, etc, don't just watch the bars, actually try calling someone.

That is really the ONLY way to know if the service will work for you.

Device(s)
    HP IPAQ 6315, Motorola v3 Razr, Motorola E398, Motorola V300
    Carrier(s)
    tried using SE T610 (lame), NOKIA 6220 with sprint pcs (LAMER!)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo
    Well of course I'm going to be biased since I work for Cingular, plus I don't know the ins and outs of any provider other than Cingular. Aside from Cingular (or Southwestern Bell Wireless as it used to be known when I first started) I've only paid for service with TracFone PrePaid Wireless.

I do know that there was an issue with ported in numbers being able to receive TXT messages that originated in other countries. That may be fixed already, but you could know for sure during your trial period.
    You can have your phone unlocked by Cingular after 3 months of on-time payments. But if you are already with T-Mobile, ask them to unlock your current T-Mobile phone, and that way you can use it internationally as well.

You do need to have a phone that has the GSM bands of 900 and 1800 if you plan on doing this. I suggest these helpful resources:
    http://www.gsmworld.com/
    http://www.phonescoop.com/

About the service: 30 day trial.

Walk into your friendly neighborhood Cingular store, ask to see the "mapping tool" to see if we even offer service in your zip code, if we do, select a phone and plan with more minutes than you think you need. It'll seem expensive at first, but the extra minutes is to test the network.

Then travel to the areas you work / live / play. Test it till it breaks. Go into the deepest corner of the basement and try to make/receive a call, then come halfway out of your basement and try, then on the first floor, second floor, etc, don't just watch the bars, actually try calling someone.

That is really the ONLY way to know if the service will work for you.
    thank you for your prompt reply.

actually my tmobile phone is already unlocked.

im happy to know that, like tmobile, they will be unlocking my cingular phone after 3 months. THIS IS SOMETHING VERY DEFINITE. right?

if i do change my phone subscriber, i plan to do it online as i see a better deal. is their any advantage/disadvantage to this vs. having my subscription done at cingular's onsite store?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast