Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: How Cingular does things. (Comparison shop with other providers)

Device(s)
    Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

So many choices, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by misha24
    I like getting new phones and I think with cing/att I might have more freedom to choose more phones.

Any input would be great so I can try to make up my mine. I was looking at the new vzw phone the MaXX ve which is a nice phone so if I stay with vzw I might get that but if not then I have no idea what to get or try with cing/att.
    thanks
    Mike
    Mike, First ask yourself; Why do I really want to switch carriers? Variety of phones? Rate plan value? Feature value?
    Since you mentioned you have a rate plan that's consistant with your usage but, you have to guard against over usage requiring have to monitor your time, then Cingular has value with rollover. If you use ony 375 minutes your first month, then you'll have 525 going into your next billing cycle. If you fall short of plan the next month by just 25 minutes then you will have 550 available the next. That's Value.

Variety of phones. Most carriers have varied versions of the Motorola V3 Razr. What is it you want the Razr or your new phone to do? Voice call only? There's no intrinsic value. Downloads or wireless internet, Cingular and VZW are on par. Cingular's new 3G technology phones have great features, high resolution screens, MP3, Video etc. Utilizing those features add price except MP3, unless you download over the phone. (Current Cing/ATT promo, If you purchase a Samsung Sync or Blackjack, you get a year of Napster. If you like music and want a $180 value towards Napster, that has value, (note: requires $19.99 media max plan on top of your voice) From exerience, its a great service since I'm a news junkie.)

Currently, if you travel overseas, VZW phones are useless, If you aren't then no biggie there.

$100 of a purchase of a cell phone if you extend with VZW. What's the true value of the $100 if the retail price of the phone is $275? plus another two year commitment.

Since cell phone models with various features are attainable on places like ebay, why even do a 2 year contract? (Cingular's minimum contract period 1 year) Contracts primary function is for the carrier to recoup the cost of discount they gave for the phone. I recommend a 1 year agreement, you may pay a little extra for the phone and once you've crossed that 30 day grace period, you're bound to the agreement, I can live with 11 months unless it's really, really bad service.

Based on your letter, you essentially could flip a coin, heads - Cingular, tails - VZW. To make it interesting, which ever flips up, two out of three wins your business.

Carrier's want you to start using features over and above voice usage. In other words spend more each month. If you are not into bells and whistles for feature value, and want a cool phone, follow your first instinct and open up your wallet.

Good luck
    The Wireless Concierge

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pdirish1953
    Mike, First ask yourself; Why do I really want to switch carriers? Variety of phones? Rate plan value? Feature value?
    Since you mentioned you have a rate plan that's consistant with your usage but, you have to guard against over usage requiring have to monitor your time, then Cingular has value with rollover. If you use ony 375 minutes your first month, then you'll have 525 going into your next billing cycle. If you fall short of plan the next month by just 25 minutes then you will have 550 available the next. That's Value.

Variety of phones. Most carriers have varied versions of the Motorola V3 Razr. What is it you want the Razr or your new phone to do? Voice call only? There's no intrinsic value. Downloads or wireless internet, Cingular and VZW are on par. Cingular's new 3G technology phones have great features, high resolution screens, MP3, Video etc. Utilizing those features add price except MP3, unless you download over the phone. (Current Cing/ATT promo, If you purchase a Samsung Sync or Blackjack, you get a year of Napster. If you like music and want a $180 value towards Napster, that has value, (note: requires $19.99 media max plan on top of your voice) From exerience, its a great service since I'm a news junkie.)

Currently, if you travel overseas, VZW phones are useless, If you aren't then no biggie there.

$100 of a purchase of a cell phone if you extend with VZW. What's the true value of the $100 if the retail price of the phone is $275? plus another two year commitment.

Since cell phone models with various features are attainable on places like ebay, why even do a 2 year contract? (Cingular's minimum contract period 1 year) Contracts primary function is for the carrier to recoup the cost of discount they gave for the phone. I recommend a 1 year agreement, you may pay a little extra for the phone and once you've crossed that 30 day grace period, you're bound to the agreement, I can live with 11 months unless it's really, really bad service.

Based on your letter, you essentially could flip a coin, heads - Cingular, tails - VZW. To make it interesting, which ever flips up, two out of three wins your business.

Carrier's want you to start using features over and above voice usage. In other words spend more each month. If you are not into bells and whistles for feature value, and want a cool phone, follow your first instinct and open up your wallet.

Good luck
    Well first thanks for the really long reply I appreciate the time you took to reply!!

Well I have had several phones in the last few years and I do like that ATT has more choices of phones since gsm has more choices and an unlocked phone is all I need to go and use with my sim card. With VZW I have had the following phones in the last 2 years . E815, v3c, vx8100, vx8300, Q, A930, Xv6700 and that was all in 2 year span. I liked some but really didn't care for others. I really don't like the VZW UI and I just went back to the best phone I had so far the E815 with the Motorola UI which I think was the last phone to have that UI.

I understand the issue with 1 year plan vs. the 2 year plan but I guess I was the sucker to get the $100 so the phones usually came out free or maybe $100. I didn't like the data plan since vze charges $25 for 10mb and $45 for unlimited which is a bit above what I need. I never used the phone for mp3 so don't care about that I like to take pics so camera is good for me. I like bells and whistles and maybe browse the web but I have tried that and its minimal for me. I have been jeoulous of the the many cool phones that came out on Gsm like the sony ericson or the nokia or even some of the motorola's and samsung's that if they do come to vzw that have the stupid standard ui with the same features as the next phone. I like as mentioned the rollover which is a benefit that is great so you don't have to think am I over or not. The price plan is the same for 450minutes and my discount from work is the same for the $39.99 plan. The one thing that I am facing is if I get a cingular plan and leave vzw on july 10th then if I come back I will have to buy the phone at the discount price and loose the $100. I do get mad discounts via my b2b online but I can't do that until I port the number in july. I was going to try and get an account for Cing/att now but even if I like it I have to cancel since I need my old number since its crucial to my business since everybody knows it.

I would say in the last 10 years I have not had a 1 year account because vzw gets you with this $100 off that makes it appealing but keeps you in longer. I have 3 numbers under my name that are used by my wife and my mom so if I like cing I will port those over whenever they are up in august and december. I just want to test it out before the VZW contract is over so I don't get stuck and have to go back and loose .

Well since I have this topic what phones would you recommend in the next few moths or now. Pluses for camera and signal unless all the phones on cing/att have good signal since I know LG and MOT have different issues at VZW and even my house.

thanks again

Mike

Device(s)
    Razr V3 Pink
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I don't even know if I can get this to come out making sense, but here goes. A friend has Verizon. She is able to punch in *244 or some similar number, and it will register her phone KRAZR to the nearest cell towers or do some kind of update to enhance their cell connection. Does anyone know if such a thing exists for Cingular/ATT?? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

How Carrier's update their network

Quote Originally Posted by cameragnome
    I don't even know if I can get this to come out making sense, but here goes. A friend has Verizon. She is able to punch in *244 or some similar number, and it will register her phone KRAZR to the nearest cell towers or do some kind of update to enhance their cell connection. Does anyone know if such a thing exists for Cingular/ATT?? Thanks.

You are close, the * sequence for Verizon is *228. This is used to program the phone over the air. In addition it's used to update their network with any changes that can enhance the phones usage. For example, new tower additions. This must be a CDMA network feature since the same can be done with Sprint also. NOTE: This does nothing to registar the phone on the nearest tower.

Cingular(The New AT&T) randomly updates their GSM network over the air to phones. That's why, you should turn your phone off and on at least once in a 24 hour period. This will lock in any up dates Cingular has made to the network.

The most common updates are going to be to the networks IRDB (International Roaming Data Base) This will be all the towers assigned to the phone including roaming partnters networks.

If you want to check to see if your phone has recieved the current updates, you can call Cingular Customer Care and have them check your account. If you require an update, they will force one over the air to your phone at that time.

Good luck
    The Wireless Concierge
    http://thewirelessconcierge.blogspot.com/

Device(s)
    Razr V3 Pink
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, pdirish1953, this is most helpful. I have to admit, we don't turn our phones off as much as we should. The Slvr has a feature that allows you the check for updates, so we will use that and I will just reboot the Razr.

Device(s)
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SMSLina
    Danlong-- No, you cannot have two lines with different area codes (or markets, as we call them) on the same family plan. They can be on the account together, but not on the same plan. If you want to share minutes with your wife, one of you is going to have to change your number to match the market of the other. It's easy, takes 5 minutes. Dial 611 and ask for relocations.
    I realize that this message is about 6 months old -- but I have to mention that I have a FamilyTalk plan. My phone is primary, and is one area code; the other phones on that FamilyTalk plan are in another area code. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the area code boundary is nearby, and the store that I purchased my phones & the plan from frequently issues numbers in both area codes.

Device(s)
    Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geekdrew
    I realize that this message is about 6 months old -- but I have to mention that I have a FamilyTalk plan. My phone is primary, and is one area code; the other phones on that FamilyTalk plan are in another area code. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the area code boundary is nearby, and the store that I purchased my phones & the plan from frequently issues numbers in both area codes.
    If you live in a major metro market and you have multiple area codes, your carrier will assign what ever area code you desire. It will not make a difference.

What was confusing about the first question seemed to be if you lived in different markets. For example you had your main account in New York and you wanted to add a line with a, let's say Tampa Bay area code. That, you can not have, yet any way.

Just for your information, the old AT&T Wireless (Before Cingular aquired them) Did allow for multiple markets on one account. My understanding that business accounts under the new AT&T have it. Perhaps in the months ahead consumers will have the same.
    Hope this helps.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Do picture/video messages use 1 minute of airtime to send/recieve? I have Verizon, and picture/video messages use at least 1 minute of airtime if you don't have the Vpak(unlimited airtime for data on non-pda phones) and I'm thinking of switching, but this will not be a deciding factor, just curious.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9