Thread: Dropped phone in soda

Feedback Score

Dropped phone in soda

Yeah my Samsung SGH p107 got dropped into a cup of coke i think i was told it was taken out within a few seconds but now it won't turn on. I was just wondering if there was any way to salvage this phone because i will probably get in a whole lot of trouble if i have to get the phone replaced. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.
    THanks
    Last edited by sthestazn; 08-23-2004 at 04:30 PM.

Carriers
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    There is a thread about phones dropped in liquid.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=321492
    Electronic motto:

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Carriers
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    OIPS! Sorry for the double post!

Feedback Score
    i'm not exactly sure if that guide would work for me since the phone was on when it was dropped into the soda after it was dropped the screen was frozen and so i turned it off then i tried to turn it back on. I did take the battery out right after and have been letting the phone and the battery air dry. Although a little while ago i did try to turn the phone back on with no success. (this was before i read the guide) is the phone still unsalvagable thanks

Phones
    Samsung D500
    Samsung E715
    Samsung SGH-s300
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Coke and Pepsi are the worst for any type of electronics due to its high acidity level. The acid in the coke will eat your circuits and cause it to short. Thats the sticky film you see left behind when coke is spilled and left to sit. At this time it might be too late to save the phone. What I recommend is to take the entire phone apart and clean it very well. Let it completely dry and put the phone back together. Cross your fingers and try to power on the phone.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    haha thanks well i'm actually still in the process of getting that torx t6 screw driver in order to take apart the phone. I tried using one of those small screw drives for eye glasses which are the smallest ones i could find and it was able to get 2 of the four screws in the back but the other two are screwed on pretty tightly. I was also wondering if the warranty would cover this kinda thing. And also if since the screws in the back are scratched up a bit if the warranty would become void since it looks like i was tampering with it? I don't know much about the warranty plan on my phone. Also if anyone has any ideas on how to get these screws out cuz i'm guessing that since the coke will be eating away at the circuits at this very moment that i should try to get em out if there asap if there were any other suggestions on how to get the screws out. Help is much appreciated
    Thanks

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    The P107 and other Samsungs for the US does not use or have any T6 Torx Screws in them. They are strickly Phillips No. 0 size.

Whenever you use a Mini Precision Screwdriver, the best thing I've found doing is to make sure the screwdriver set is not damaged in any way. If it is, it will damage the screws/head and will be a PITA to remove.
    Set the tip on the screw and slowly twist it to let it sink in the slot/X, then slowly and firmly push the back of the screwdriver while turning it slow that it doesn't raise up and or damge the screw.

Feedback Score
    remarkably as a last choice before i exchanged the phone i plugged the phone in and amazingly enough it turned on!!! Now i'm wondering if i should still try and get the phillips 0 (which by the way where would i be able to get one of those?) and clean out the insides with distilled water just in case there is coke inside that is eating away at the circuits or if i should just leave the phone alone now that it is working. Any and all advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Carriers
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    To get a precision screwdriver set, look at most local electronic parts store. If in N.A., Radio Shack usually has a good choice.

Phones
    Apple iPhone
    Motorola RAZR v3x
    Sony Ericsson w600i
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by sthestazn
    remarkably as a last choice before i exchanged the phone i plugged the phone in and amazingly enough it turned on!!! Now i'm wondering if i should still try and get the phillips 0 (which by the way where would i be able to get one of those?) and clean out the insides with distilled water just in case there is coke inside that is eating away at the circuits or if i should just leave the phone alone now that it is working. Any and all advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    I'd open it anyways and clean it out.

Just my $.02 worth.
    "My downfall raises me to infinite heights." -Napoleon Bonaparte

01101010 ...