Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying a phone from Costco and activating.

Phone
    k700i
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Buying a phone from Costco and activating.

Is buying a phone from Costco cheaper than buying it from other Rogers dealers? If I buy a phone from there, do I have to call in to activate it myself? They don't even have a computer there at all. Is it possible to purchase a phone from Costco and get it activated at another Rogers dealer? The reason I want to do that is because I want to be able to choose my number myself (they were pretty nice about helping me pick a number last time). If I have to call in, they might not be as patient with me. Will the Rogers store charge me to activate?

Also,

I'm using a k700i on Rogers PayGo right now. My mother is using is using some very old Nokia phone on the emergency plan. We originally wanted the family plan, but after looking through it, we decided that it really wasn't worth it. I want to be a monthly plan so I can take advantage of R2R. My mother wants to be on PayGo since she rarely uses her phone. Now, can someone tell me if this is possible?

I purchase a new phone (anything that's free with contract). Sign up for the $20/150min 2 year contract and add campus r2r.
    The old Nokia phone is cancelled.
    With the new phone, can I put that SIM card in my k700i and put my current k700i (which is on PayGo) SIM card into the new phone?

Therefore, I get my monthly plan and my mother gets PayGo. This saves $50 migration fee and $200 that they charge for a new phone without a contract. I don't see why it wouln't work since they're both Rogers SIM cards and my k700 is unlocked. I tried to ask the woman at the Rogers booth but she didn't really seem to understand my question at all.

Phones
    T616/T68i
    V60i/V60G
    Nokia 7210
    Feedback Score
    any rogers dealear will help you choose your number if u ask before buying from them....other than that i didn't read beyone the first paragraph

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (CDMA PHONE OF DETH: LGE-LG3200 UP.Browser/4.1.26l UP.Link/4.3.4.4d)

Buy from an auth dealer or Rog Plus. It's worth it.

Carrier
    Rogers (& Telus, but waiting for number portability)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mojo85
    any rogers dealear will help you choose your number if u ask before buying from them....other than that i didn't read beyone the first paragraph
    lmao, that was mighty helpful mojo.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    if your mom is on the emergency plan why would she want to go to paygo? she will not save any money, but she will have the hassles of buying the cards/putting the time on her phone.

anyways, yes your idea would work. however, as mojo said any dealer you buy from will help you pick your number.

Phone
    k700i
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    ^^^ Heh heh, thanks guys.

Well, the emergency plan is coming out to be about $15/month for only 30 minutes. On PayGo, it's $10 for 30 minutes plus free caller id. Plus, she really needs a new phone.

Phones
    BB9320, Nokia C3
    Blackberry 9320
    Carriers
    Koodo
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by shadowed
    ^^^ Heh heh, thanks guys.

Well, the emergency plan is coming out to be about $15/month for only 30 minutes. On PayGo, it's $10 for 30 minutes plus free caller id. Plus, she really needs a new phone.
    Rogers charges $50 to migrate from monthly to prepaid. You have to factor that in, too.

Phones
    Iphone
    Nokia N95
    T28w
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    the rogers at Costco is a private dealer, for example the costco rogers booth in moncton is owned and operated by Solution Cellulaires, out of QC...

Phones
    Current: RIM 8800r
    Previous: RIM 8700r, Motorola V600, V300, T720, V66, V60
    Nokia 5190, 3390 SE T637, T616, T68i
    Carriers
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You wouldn't get the subsidized price if you don't activate it at the dealer at Costco...

Buy from a recognized store.....Rogers Plus, Video, or even a Radio Shack before you buy at Costco!
    Last edited by tyassine; 09-22-2004 at 06:07 PM.

Phones
    BB 8100 Pearl
    HP iPAQ 6955
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    the rogers at Costco is a private dealer,
    Paf is right. Discover Communications ran the first two Rogers Kiosks at Costco in the GTA. So the info they give would be as good as the rep is at any Rogers location. Discover later gave it up though cause not too many people were coming to Costco to buy a phone though.

Hmm, since items at Costco are bought in bulk, do you think a family plan type deal would be a natural sell?
    It’s not what you know, but how you apply what you know that counts.
    -AMB

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by tyassine
    You wouldn't get the subsidized price if you don't activate it at the dealer at Costco...

Buy from a recognized store.....Rogers Plus, Video, or even a Radio Shack before you buy at Costco!
    I always tell customers who were screwed by a Costco dealer to go back to where they bought it. I've never understood the appeal of buying a specific item in a place that is clearly not specializing in it.

Phones
    BB 8100 Pearl
    HP iPAQ 6955
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Thrawn
    I always tell customers who were screwed by a Costco dealer to go back to where they bought it. I've never understood the appeal of buying a specific item in a place that is clearly not specializing in it.
    Must have been a bad rep then. Costco does not own the Kiosk. It is owned and operated by a private dealer who inturn pays Costco rent for the spot. Its hard to staff, cause no one really wants to work in that little booth...

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have never been in a Walmart and had the sudden urge to buy furniture. Nor have I ever been in a Best Buy and suddenly wanted candy. I tend to plan my purchases, and trips, accordingly.

I cut up my Costco card too...once I had three cases of Campbell's Tomato soup stocked up. Oh god why?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Thrawn
    I have never been in a Walmart and had the sudden urge to buy furniture. Nor have I ever been in a Best Buy and suddenly wanted candy. I tend to plan my purchases, and trips, accordingly.

I cut up my Costco card too...once I had three cases of Campbell's Tomato soup stocked up. Oh god why?

Why the hell would you buy even one can of Tomato Soup? let alone 3 frickin cases!!!

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Moment of weakness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast