Thread: What does "1X" mean and how does it compare to [D] ?

Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx Ve
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

What does "1X" mean and how does it compare to [D] ?

Tonight I switched from AT&T to VZW and I bought the Audiovox 9900 phone. Right now at my house I have my old AT&T Motorola v60i (TDMA) phone and my new VZW (tri-mode) phone.

The AT&T shows [D] for digital and is hovering around 3 or 4 signal bars.

The VZW phone shows 1X and only 2 signal bars.

The VZW phone appears to be working crystal clear even with 2 bars but I'm wondering if 2 bars in 1X mode is actually better than 3 or 4 bars in [D] mode...

Feedback Score
    1X refers the to RTT network that VZW has...it is in fact digital...as far as the discrepancies between signal strength and call quality, that has been beaten to death on various threads...bottom line, with VZW, 1X is always good...D is fine...A is ok...
    ------------------------------------------------
    Old

New

------------------------------------------------
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf..."

God bless our Marines...

Phone
    Motorola Razr Maxx Ve
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So... 1X with only one or two signal bars is better than AT&T [D]igital with three or four bars?

I'm just trying to get a comparison so I can tell if the service is better in the areas where I live (and I can't really talk on the phone throughout *all* of the areas I want to test...)

Phone
    iPhone 6
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by sofakng
    So... 1X with only one or two signal bars is better than AT&T [D]igital with three or four bars?

I'm just trying to get a comparison so I can tell if the service is better in the areas where I live (and I can't really talk on the phone throughout *all* of the areas I want to test...)
    Not all manufacturers calibrate their signal meters the same. Some phones will show more conservative readings than others. Conversely, other phones will display more liberal readings. For example, my Nokia 3589i will show 3-4 out of 7 bars in the same area that my Motorola v60s will display 5 of 5. And the signal meter on my LG VX4500 will jump all over the place. Though the Rx -db readings of all three phones are very similar in test mode.

1x with two bars isn't necessarily better or worse than TDMA with 3-4 bars. The only thing I can suggest is just to use your Verizon phone as you normally would and see if you notice any difference in the service quality(good or bad) that you've been used to getting with AT&T.

Phones
    LG vx8300, 8600
    BB 8700
    KRZR K1
    Carriers
    Cellco Partnership
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Re: What does "1X" mean and how does it compare to [D] ?

Tonight I switched from AT&T to VZW and I bought the Audiovox 9900 phone. Right now at my house I have my old AT&T Motorola v60i (TDMA) phone and my new VZW (tri-mode) phone.

The VZW phone appears to be working crystal clear even with 2 bars but I'm wondering if 2 bars in 1X mode is actually better than 3 or 4 bars in [D] mode...

There are features that sets 1X apart from "D"

1X, which is also referred to as CDMA2000 1xRTT, is an upgrade to the original digital standard used by Verizon. 1X allows for faster transmission of data. That is why you can download ringtones and games with Get It Now services. 1X allows you the ability to send pix and flix throughout the VZW network. 1X allows aircard users to surf the web wirelessly on their laptops at speeds generally faster than your standard 56K modem. 1X is also more efficient from a carrier's standpoint since it allows them to cram more users on their network and generally offers you better battery life than the standard digital service offered a couple of years ago.

In short, 1X allows your phone to be "more than a phone."

Look out for the next generation of wireless products such as wireless video conferencing. It's only going to get better.

Phones
    MOTO e815 *(sick phone!!)
    LG4400 (retired, but a good phone too!!)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: What does "1X" mean and how does it compare to [D] ?

I too also sometimes get a tiny bar of 1x on my phone, but I get all my calls!

In analog, i dont get them, even when its shows 4 bars. its weird.

Phone
    Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: What does "1X" mean and how does it compare to [D] ?

Originally posted by tonedeafnyc
    I too also sometimes get a tiny bar of 1x on my phone, but I get all my calls!

In analog, i dont get them, even when its shows 4 bars. its weird.
    I've said this many times here, but my belief is that analog on modern digital phones is nothing more than an afterthought. I have not had a digital phone with capable analog since the Sony CM B-1201 (was that the model number? It was one of the first digital w/analog phones on Sprint). This is why analog backup is no longer a priority I have for phones... it won't work when you need it in my experience.

Phones
    LG VX9100
    LG VX8350
    Motorola KRZR K1m (Vivo Flash)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Analog on my V60s has never even shown 1 bar, and is completely unusable. However, in the same place, my friend's VX-10 gets 3 bars of analog and can make calls.

Phones
    Droid
    V60s (backup)
    i850- MotoTalk
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by pepperdanky
    Analog on my V60s has never even shown 1 bar, and is completely unusable. However, in the same place, my friend's VX-10 gets 3 bars of analog and can make calls.

I need analog in my phones. Place I go in Northern Michigan, where I'm on the 'extended network', don't have digital services, and if there are, they are nearly unusable, 0 bars. At the cabin up north, analog comes on my T730c at 4 bars, the tower is several miles away and while the call always goes through, 4 bars causes static on both ends. 2 bars on the road is pretty much unusable.

-Josh

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Re: What does "1X" mean and how does it compare to [D] ?

Originally posted by chefofthefuture
    I've said this many times here, but my belief is that analog on modern digital phones is nothing more than an afterthought. I have not had a digital phone with capable analog since the Sony CM B-1201 (was that the model number? It was one of the first digital w/analog phones on Sprint). This is why analog backup is no longer a priority I have for phones... it won't work when you need it in my experience.

Analog is often unusable in urban areas in California; here in utah, my Nokia 3589i's can always make and receive calls fine in Analog. My old, deactivated Sprint TP-whatever it was(can't remember) is the worst when it comes to Analog, calls are staticy, and won't connect sometimes on Analog Verizon where my Nokia phones get a good Verizon signal and will connect rigth away...I think the Nokias are still very good in Analog.