Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Organized religion, bigest scam of all time?

Phone
    HTC
    Feedback Score

Organized religion, bigest scam of all time?

I remember when i was younger i used to believe deeply in religion.

Now, memories of my grandfather's wisdom make sense to me, he told me along time ago that preists were parisites to society.
    I believe this is true, and even more exemplified by the recent perverted child molesting preists.

Folks, don't give your money to the church, if you really want to make a differance with your money, save it, or preferably invest it. Religion in the traditional form is obsolite in today's age, invest your money in the stock market, help our GDP grow instead of some monlithic organization such as the church.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Phone
    Ericsson T28w / R520m / T39mc / T68m
    Carrier
    Doggy / Robbers Useless
    Feedback Score
    Hey watch out for So Gor's people knocking on your door real soon...

Feedback Score

Re: Organized religion, bigest scam of all time?

Originally posted by drunkgoat
    I remember when i was younger i used to believe deeply in religion.

Now, memories of my grandfather's wisdom make sense to me, he told me along time ago that preists were parisites to society.
    I believe this is true, and even more exemplified by the recent perverted child molesting preists.

Folks, don't give your money to the church, if you really want to make a differance with your money, save it, or preferably invest it. Religion in the traditional form is obsolite in today's age, invest your money in the stock market, help our GDP grow instead of some monlithic organization such as the church.
    i do agree in essence.. i think organized religion is a joke... too much corruption and too many ignorant people.. they think that just b/c they go to church one day a week that they are christians... hell no, its more than that... its everyday things...
    ARGH i hate those types of people...

Phone
    HTC
    Feedback Score
    the people i don't like are the people who stick their noses up to you because they goto church every Sunday and you don't.

like god really cares if you stepped inside of a building once a week to give money to people who you don't even know and have no clue as to how they spend the money.

i do believe in a higher being, but all this crap and ceremonies made up by man just seem like some elaborate scam to shake money outta the dumb, ignorant, and easily persuaded people.

i do everything in this world with the belief that thier is something greater, just i find it silly when people say that if you don't goto church you will goto hell. I mean if i act like a saint and i just don't goto church god is sending me to hell?? whats with that?

I eagerly await someone to rebut.
    Last edited by drunkgoat; 09-07-2002 at 04:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    the people i don't like are the people who stick their noses up to you because they goto church every Sunday and you don't.

like god really cares if you stepped inside of a building once a week to give money to people who you don't even know and have no clue as to how they spend the money.

i do believe in a higher being, but all this crap and ceremonies made up by man just seem like some elaborate scam to shake money outta the dumb, ignorant, and easily persuaded people.

i do everything in this world with the belief that thier is something greater, just i find it silly when people say that if you don't goto church you will goto hell. I mean if i act like a saint and i just don't goto church god is sending me to hell?? whats with that?

i totally would, but i agree with what you say... i feel the same way..

Feedback Score

I am a Christian and I totally agree with everything you said in the above quote. I dont want to start any more controversies!! These are just my thoughts ... I think you are stereotyping Christians to raise a very valid point...what you said is NOT what I believe all people who say they are Christians say or think. I believe that some churches are wrong but not all. Just like any stereotype you cant assume everyone thinks in one way or acts the same based on that stereotype. I believe that just because you go to church (or give more money or time) does not mean that you are more Christian or not and people who say that or think that....I believe that in itself is wrong. This may be hard to believe but because you dont go to church I dont think that I am better than you or because you say you are not a Christian does not make me think I am better than you (there is no basis for this thought in the bible).

I believe God will NOT send people to hell just because you dont go to church. And like the opposite ...just because you go to church once in a while or even every sunday and act like a "Christian" does not mean you will go to heaven. If you are confused about anything I've said...you can go to my link in my signature...thats if you care about what real Christians believe. If you do happen to read that...you can choose to accept or reject it or put it off.

Also to clarify I am not Catholic...I dont agree with any Catholic specific beliefs one of which are the idea of priests or their role within the church which Drunkgoat was talking about.

Please dont stereotype anyone based on what one person said or did. If you have more questions on this you can always ask me by email, pm or whatever.
    Last edited by tofu-grl; 09-07-2002 at 09:58 PM.

Phones
    T68i
    Retired: Nokia 8310 (HK), Nokia 8260
    Sold: V66 SE White
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score
    exactly how are priests the parasites of society??
    granted there are a few that are not that great, given the child molestations, but i'm sure that in almost every profession that a child molester was once a part of it.

and you can't really call all religions a scam to steal your money. the catholic church is the single largest charity in the world. and if you look at priests at local churches, they are not living in luxuary at the price of the people who give their money.

Phones
    iPhone IIIgs
    Symbian User, I want to try android
    Nokia N800
    Carriers
    Main: Cingular(US)
    Feedback Score
    I dont think that religion is a scam.
    No one knows if there is a higher being out there, I personally dont buy into it as much as I did when I was younger.

Religion was started to unite people and to have people act in a good and virtuous way, to help their fellow man and live a good life. In the old days priests were not "professionals". Priests were farmers, bakers, butchers, family men, etc etc, and on sunday they would go to the church, open it up and have mass. They would donate their time, free of charge for the good of the community. (I am talking now of greek orthodox priests).

These days, priests EVERYWHERE are professionals, they get paid, if they dont get paid they dont perform their services and religion no loner serves to unite people and do what is good and virtuous but its there like a business to get money. its sickening and its bad If there is a god it will burn all of its priests in hell first
    Club-Admiralty - my site

Phone History: Maxon MX-3204; Nokia 7110; Nokia 8290; Ericsson T28w; Nokia 8890; Ericsson T68; SE P800; Nokia 7190; HTC Blue Angel; LG L1400; Nokia 1100; Blackberry 8703; Nokia N80; Nokia 6126; Motorola V3xx, iPhone IIIgs

I Lurk, therefore I am

Feedback Score

Re: Re: Organized religion, bigest scam of all time?

Originally posted by jebus

they think that just b/c they go to church one day a week that they are christians... hell no, its more than that... its everyday things...
    As a Christian I also believe its everyday things (your daily walk as Christians put it) ...It is what is in your heart that matters not outwardly appearances (including church participation). Going to church doesn't mean much if anything...what is in your heart is whats important...this is what the bible teaches and this is something only God can judge (because we CANT see whats in someones heart...thats IF you believe in a God).

When someone says that they are better than you because they go to church or simply because they believe...If you are a Christian or NOT you can ask them what they think of this verse:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. " -- Matthew 7:1

Because by thinking or saying that to you is exactly what this verse says not to do...it SHOULD shut them up because its a little taste of their own medicine.

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by AdmiralAK
    These days, priests EVERYWHERE are professionals, they get paid, if they dont get paid they dont perform their services and religion no loner serves to unite people and do what is good and virtuous but its there like a business to get money. its sickening and its bad If there is a god it will burn all of its priests in hell first
    yes they do get paid, so they can buy food, and maybe buy themselves something nice. That is pretty much it. Most priests that i know of live at the church. they work for the congregation...

And religion does bring people together still to this day, i loved going to religious activites at school, i was a big part of Peer Ministry at my school... i have been invloved with it from grade 10- to OAC... it was great, and it united alot of people....

Phones
    T68i
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the catholic school i currently attend have priests as part of their faculty. to my knowledge the do not receive a salary for teaching, as a way for them to keep tuition costs down. most priests are not some greedy people who only do work for money.

Phones
    iPhone IIIgs
    Symbian User, I want to try android
    Nokia N800
    Carriers
    Main: Cingular(US)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mittens

the catholic school i currently attend have priests as part of their faculty. to my knowledge the do not receive a salary for teaching, as a way for them to keep tuition costs down. most priests are not some greedy people who only do work for money.
    Its a catholic school, therefore the church owns it, therefore it would make sense to have priests there teaching instead of doing some "other" church duty. They still get paid. "Community service" would count if they taught at a public school, part-time/full-time for free.

Feedback Score

Its a catholic school, therefore the church owns it, therefore it would make sense to have priests there teaching instead of doing some "other" church duty. They still get paid. "Community service" would count if they taught at a public school, part-time/full-time for free.
    since when does the church own catholic schools?

Phones
    T68i
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score

i'm not saying that the priests are getting nothing out of it. the fact is that these priests take a vow of poverty and even if they do receive any money its very little. a lot of the posts made against priests try to make them appear to be some sort of money hoarding bunch of people. the school is actually run by an order of priests who also donate much money into the school to help offset costs. and its not like the church is making money at all through the operation of the school, if anything its losing money.

Phone
    Iphone 3Gs
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I really don't care too much about any religion, except for Islam. While other religions preach peace and acceptance of others, Islam tell its followers to kill people who don't follow their religion. What a crock of sh*t that is! Also, I'm sick of all these people on TV saying that Islam is a religion of peace, when its the total opposite. After reading a few verses of the Koran, I got sick to my stomach.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast