Thread: A500: false Battery indicator

Feedback Score

A500: false Battery indicator

once in a while, my phone battery indicator reads 1 bar. then minutes later, it reads 2 bars.

can the battery regain its power? what a miracle. or it is just the indicator not reading the power correctly. anyone experience this?

Phone
    nexus 5
    Carrier
    sprintpcs
    Feedback Score
    yes, i experience this all of the tyme, usually during a 20-30min call i'll drop from 3 to 2 bars of strength, then after i hang up i'll look 5mins latr & there's the extra bar. i think this is only a li ion battery feature, should make u feel special.
    >:-,

n810

"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code"

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Wink

Fox I think either your phone is haunted, or you must have the worst Karma of anyone, lol. Return that da mn phone and get another one for gods sakes!!!!
    iPhone 5 !!

Feedback Score
    This is my third A500 so far. I am tired of exchanging.
    this one works fine for last couple days until Someone on the forum recommended me to exchange the battery because its old battery was weak. I wen to BB yesterday and changed battery only .

I follow the recommendation by fully charge it first before using it first time. now the damn battery indicator not working correctly.
    I don't want to exchange phone again, i am tired of it. it might work correctly later on, i hope.
    Last edited by foxnews; 09-11-2002 at 03:34 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Wink

I feel for ya, bad advice does suck. Li ion batteries have no memory effects, so it does not matter if you fully charge them or not the first time out. It's a common myth built on the old NiMH batteries which had a memory effect and had to be fully drained and charged from time to time, and eventually over time lost capacity.

And I get the different battery signals also, somtimes I get it if I shut my phone off. I think its just the technology and dont think anything is wrong with your battery.

Feedback Score
    are u saying that I don't have to fully charge it before first time use? and I don't have to discharge it completely once within the first week of use?

those are what people on forum told me to optimize the battery strengh. are you saying what they said was not correct?
    . at first I didnot believe since charging fully before or after first use is the same thing. but they even gave out the source, I have to believe it. that was why I went to BB to exchange for a new battery.
    Last edited by foxnews; 09-11-2002 at 04:13 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    "Conditioning" the battery, or charging it fully 1-3 times before use is what used to be done on the pre Li Ion batteries. It may help a bit with the Li Ion to do this, but the effect is very little, certainly it would not have caused the situation you had with your previous battery.

There is more danger in overcharging than anything, that is why you usually should buy chargers from the phone maker that have "smart" technology that shuts off the charger. Additionally for a truly full charge you have to "slow charge" the last 15percent of the battery, a "smart" charger will also do that.

If you want every single drop of power from your li ion then Im sure it can only help to fully charge it before first use, but if you dont you wont notice a big difference.

Feedback Score
    so charging overnight will have longterm effects on my battery since its being overcharged (if i didnt have a smart charger)

Phones
    iPhone 4
    BB Curve, iPhone 3G, 3Gs, & 4
    Samsung A7474, i760, M610, A600, A500, 6100, 3500, 2500
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by celphnfanatic
    so charging overnight will have longterm effects on my battery since its being overcharged (if i didnt have a smart charger)
    Yes, but all electronics that contain Li-Ion batteries are sold w/ a smart charger. The only way possible to screw it up is to purchase a cheap after-market charger that is not built to spec. Don't get me wrong, a lot of after-market chargers are fine....but not all of them.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: A500: false Battery indicator

Originally posted by foxnews
    once in a while, my phone battery indicator reads 1 bar. then minutes later, it reads 2 bars.

can the battery regain its power? what a miracle. or it is just the indicator not reading the power correctly. anyone experience this?
    This is absolutely normal. Once the batter cools down, you will see some of the charge return. It's not REALLY that the charge is returning, but the potential voltage raises once again.

Phones
    Motorola V600
    Panasonic GD55
    Nokia 3590
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    the first phone I had that did that is the star tac 7868... Its very annoying cause my A500 does it too.. You dont know how much battery you have left!!

But my sanyo 6200, and the 4900 didnt do it...

Phones
    currently: sph a600
    scp 4900, 5300, 6000
    sph a500, a400, sch 8500
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    the phone itself tell the charger if it needs to charge, this has nothing to do with a SMART charger. damn

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    The charger has to have the capability to shut off doesnt it?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Talking

By the way the smart chargers actually have a built in chip that differentiates them from some of the cheaper aftermarket chargers.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dacman
    the phone itself tell the charger if it needs to charge, this has nothing to do with a SMART charger. damn
    What??!! So in the case of phones that come with a double slot charger, what tells the charger if the battery needs a charge?

If what your saying is true for the A500, then this means they have taken the smart charging circuitry and moved it into the phone. But ANYBODY who knows anything about rechargeable batteries is aware of smart chargers. So YES, it does have everything to do with a smart charger.