Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you have 2 phones activated, both with the same number?

Feedback Score

Can you have 2 phones activated, both with the same number?

Hypothetical situation..

I have one phone now, a flip-phone. It is activated and assigned a number.

If I bought a candybar phone, would I be able to activate it and assign the same number as the # on my first phone, so that I could take either phone with me and use it on a given day?

IE, I would pay and use minutes on one plan, but would be able to use either phone, depending on which I felt like using in a given day.. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    No you can not.
    Check out my reviews here.

Phones
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    Samsung I730 (in infinite loop)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Actually you can

Both cannot be activated at the same time. But you can change the esn for your account on-line. Which, in esenence, allows you to have multiple phone.

I even asked Verizon customer service if they care if the esn changes a lot. They said they don't care.

Login to your Version on-line account and go to this link: https://myaccount.verizonwireless.co...tion=esnChange

Carrier
    Verizon/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Watch out with the esn changes though. Some areas are being charged $11.25 everytime you change your esn. Just make sure they are not going to charge you first.

Phones
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I haven't been charged

The website makes no mention of any charge for doing this.

All you have to do is select the number you want to change. Enter the new esn and give a reason. I always select "other".

Other than that, the page only talks about "How to find your ESN" and tips about O's vs 0's.

Phones
    RIM BlackBerry 8330 "Curve"
    RIM BB 8330
    Nokia 6350
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    They love looking at my account- I have had over 20 activations in a 1 year period. Hell, I even activated a Virgin Mobile phone on my account just to prove it could be done... and then I realized the phone only had a crappy "Virgin Mobile" ringtone (not happening).
    Tim Wochomurka

Touch my stutter tone and DIE

Phones
    Moto V300, LG VX7000 (great phone) (Retired), Motorola V710 (STOLEN)
    LG VX6000 & Vox 8900 (retired), Siemens CF62T, Blackberry 7520
    Motorola i90, i95, i730, i530, i830 (retired), Motorola i860
    Carriers
    T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint/ATT/Cingular
    FreeUp (hacked for use w/ Get It Now Phone)
    Feedback Score
    impossible to do... sorry!

Phones
    Motorola Razr Maxx
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by mattsnatosz
    impossible to do... sorry!
    What is impossible to do?

You can have as many phones as you want with the "same" number. But only one can be active at a time.

Phones
    Motorola e815, v710, i860
    Growell CF2031 (Sprint Data)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    what about if you have two phones, and you clone the ESN from one onto the other? and then assuming u only have one on at a time, you shouldnt have to deal with constant activation/reactivation

Phones
    moto 710
    samsung i730
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by myklup
    what about if you have two phones, and you clone the ESN from one onto the other? and then assuming u only have one on at a time, you shouldnt have to deal with constant activation/reactivation
    if we see that we consider it fraud and you phones will be suspended

Phones
    Moto V300, LG VX7000 (great phone) (Retired), Motorola V710 (STOLEN)
    LG VX6000 & Vox 8900 (retired), Siemens CF62T, Blackberry 7520
    Motorola i90, i95, i730, i530, i830 (retired), Motorola i860
    Carriers
    T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint/ATT/Cingular
    FreeUp (hacked for use w/ Get It Now Phone)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by NCC1701
    What is impossible to do?

You can have as many phones as you want with the "same" number. But only one can be active at a time.
    yes but what this man/woman wanted to do is impossible without breaking laws!

Feedback Score

Re: Actually you can

Originally posted by NCC1701
    Both cannot be activated at the same time. But you can change the esn for your account on-line. Which, in esenence, allows you to have multiple phone.

I even asked Verizon customer service if they care if the esn changes a lot. They said they don't care.

Login to your Version on-line account and go to this link: https://myaccount.verizonwireless.co...tion=esnChange
    Great info thanks.

As long as VSW doesn't mind the changes in ESN, this seems like it would be a great way to use two different phones.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    cloning fraud is only illegal if done to gain a financial advantage, ie cloning someone elses esn and using it to avoid charges on your own account, or lack of an account.

vzw would not know if you cloned your own esn, unless you called the cloning fraud number your self, or a very nosy cs rep started looking at your call records.

you can change your esn on the website without charge, however, repeated changes of an esn on an account WILL cause you to fail authentication sooner or later. how often, is not foreseable!

first!!! by no means am i recomending cloning your esn, simply stating it is not illegal in this situation.
    second!! failing authentication is not that big of a deal, simply power your phone off for roughly 30 seconds power back on, and assuming there are no switch delays you phone will not fail authentication until another esn change is done.

Phones
    Motorola V60s (Verizon)
    Nokia 3585i (backup VZW)
    Nokia 3595 (AT&T GSM)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Read the FCC rules. Chaging an ESN on a phone voids it's type acceptance, and thus your authority to operate it, unless you are a service center or hold a general radiotelephone operator's license, and are doing so as part of servicing it. This crap about "if a tree falls in a forest and no one knows about it" is lame. Ever heard of A-key authentication? Also, if you read your service agreement, it specifically states that tampering with or modifying your handset in any way (including modifying or allowing another to modify the handset's ESN) violates your agreement with VZW.

There is no legit reason to change an ESN in a phone unless one's intention is to defraud the carrier. And no, changing your equipment through legit channels such as the online ESN change form or customer care won't cause you to "fail authentication", that is, unless you aren't the authorized account holder.

Even if you were successful at cloning a CDMA phone, it wouldn't work well if at all. The switch would immediately flag your account for fraud when both handsets attempt to register or respond to pages at the same time, especially if they are in two different locations.

Here's a novel idea: if you change phones every five minutes, then go GSM and just swap your SIM.

Phones
    LG C1300
    Nokia 3595 (unlocked)
    Kyocera K9
    Carriers
    Cingular Wireless,
    T-Mobile (goodbye!)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Tim_Wochomurka
    They love looking at my account- I have had over 20 activations in a 1 year period. Hell, I even activated a Virgin Mobile phone on my account just to prove it could be done... and then I realized the phone only had a crappy "Virgin Mobile" ringtone (not happening).
    How did you activate a Virgin Mobile phone on Verizon Wireless?! Aren't they locked?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast