Thread: Is it me, or does Verizon have a monopoly

Feedback Score

Is it me, or does Verizon have a monopoly

Is it just me or does Verizon have a monopoly. Do to the fact that everyone that goes through them, has to go through their services to get ringtones, wallpapers and ect. I think its BS. Like other companies you can use any third party, unathorized service... But verzion doesnt allow that to happen.. You got like hmm.. 6-8 different places they will let you download stuff from... What if that place doesnt have it.. Then your screwed...
    Like I use the data cable and put ringtones and stuff on my phone.. But there are so many people afraid of screwing around with their phones... I know there is going to be people on both side of what I just said... But if Verizon was Microsoft and they were doing the same thing... People would be all over their asses!!!

Btw, if anyone has the song pretty women as a ringtone, please send it to me at johnnyprince2@yahoo.com

Phones
    LG vx8300, 8600
    BB 8700
    KRZR K1
    Carriers
    Cellco Partnership
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Re: Is it me, or does Verizon have a monopoly

Originally posted by mmisdreamy
    Is it just me or does Verizon have a monopoly. Do to the fact that everyone that goes through them, has to go through their services to get ringtones, wallpapers and ect. I think its BS. Like other companies you can use any third party, unathorized service... But verzion doesnt allow that to happen.. You got like hmm.. 6-8 different places they will let you download stuff from... What if that place doesnt have it.. Then your screwed...
    Like I use the data cable and put ringtones and stuff on my phone.. But there are so many people afraid of screwing around with their phones... I know there is going to be people on both side of what I just said... But if Verizon was Microsoft and they were doing the same thing... People would be all over their asses!!!

Btw, if anyone has the song pretty women as a ringtone, please send it to me at johnnyprince2@yahoo.com

This topic has been discussed several times on these forums.

The end result: You will never get everyone to agree.

I strongly believe that the reason for Verizon and Verizon Wireless' success lies in their ability to remain profitable. They know their telecom business and know how to make money.

Sure they could give you more freedom. Sure they could make no money off of you when you download ringtones or games. But why kill the cash cow?

VZ is doing a lot in the industry right now. They are rolling out the nation's fastest wireless internet. They are rolling out the nation's fastest wired internet (Fios) and all that takes money. They pay their employees the highest in the industry as well. That along with their huge overhead is very costly.

We need these big profitable businesses to remain profitable here in the US. They help our economy in more ways than one.

Phones
    White Samsung Galaxy S5 w/128GB SanDisk MircoSD Card
    White Samsung Galaxy S5 w/128GB SanDisk MircoSD Card
    White Apple iPhone 5 64GB GSM Factory Unlocked. [iOS7 Software/Firmware]
    Carriers
    PRESENT: [at&t] w/ 20% FAN Discount.
    NEVER again VZW. Had & used VZW more than once. Bad, very bad.
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (PlatMan NEXTEL.Done. | i325: MOT-A-1A/01.00 UP.Browser/4.1.27a1 UP.Link/4.2.3.5h)

Every cell phone carrier has some faults, some more than others!

Phones
    Nextel i355
    LG7000
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

Re: Re: Is it me, or does Verizon have a monopoly

Originally posted by stylus
    This topic has been discussed several times on these forums.

We need these big profitable businesses to remain profitable here in the US. They help our economy in more ways than one.
    Man I don't even want to think about how much money Verizon puts into the national economy in a year

Mike
    Oxford GA

Phones
    iPhone
    Retired: Motorola Q, E815, V710, V60i, StarTac 7868
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    To call what verizon does a monopoly when they account for at most 30% of the total subscribers in the industry, would be akin to calling apple a monopoly because of the amount of control they put into their computers when they by no means control the computer industry. Verizon has made a good business decision regarding their pricing schemes, since after all, they are a business. If there were no other choices, then the government would have to step in as they have in the past for the common good of the consumer, however in the wireless world today, you do have alternatives that are all just as capable as VZW.

Phones
    LG vx8300, 8600
    BB 8700
    KRZR K1
    Carriers
    Cellco Partnership
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Deimos
    To call what verizon does a monopoly when they account for at most 30% of the total subscribers in the industry, would be akin to calling apple a monopoly because of the amount of control they put into their computers when they by no means control the computer industry. Verizon has made a good business decision regarding their pricing schemes, since after all, they are a business. If there were no other choices, then the government would have to step in as they have in the past for the common good of the consumer, however in the wireless world today, you do have alternatives that are all just as capable as VZW.

I assume you are talking soley about VZW?? My comment was in reference to VZ Communications.

Phone
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    The reason why NTT DoCoMo's imode (started in 1999) was a failure in Europe and in US is because the secret to imode's success is the revenue sharing/billing systems --- all the small software developers and content developers get paid. In Europe, all the big companies tried the "walled garden" approach and failed.

Nickel and dime you to death in Japan --- very successful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1835821.stm

Qualcomm looked at the success of imode, UNDERSTANDS that the billing system and revenue sharing is the key. So they develop BREW in 2001 and Verizon deployed it as "Get it now" in 2002. Very successful. Now BREW backend system can work on any java phones (GSM and CDMA).

Nickel and dime you to death in the US --- very successful.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...s_1b9brew.html

Last month, Nokia finally figures out that it's the billing system and revenue sharing ecosystem that matters. So Nokia launched its own Preminet ecosystem.

Nickel and dime you to death in the GSM world --- going to be very successful in the future.

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Nokias...3-5424317.html

Phones
    iPhone
    Retired: Motorola Q, E815, V710, V60i, StarTac 7868
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by stylus
    I assume you are talking soley about VZW?? My comment was in reference to VZ Communications.
    My mistake. I was referring to VZW exclusively in my comments, as I do not have a landline and so have no experience with regards to Verizon Communications and how they act in their industry.

Phone
    Blackberry Curve
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Since '95
    Feedback Score
    As long as you have 4 other, strong, national competitors you cannot be a monopoly.

That simple.
    Hi there. I'm the guy on the other side of the counter. If you're a jerk to me, guess how hard I'm going to try to help you?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

You can get a PDA phone and put whatever you want on it.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by scottb
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

You can get a PDA phone and put whatever you want on it.

If you have a data cable and the software, both of which are easily required, you can put all the ringtones and wallpapers you want on alot of the phones. Actually don't even have to have those if you have a camera phone, can just send them to the phone.

So to the original poster, you don't HAVE to buy them from Verizon.

KC

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Deimos
    well say with the ipod... you can either download from itunes.. or put up your own mp3s on it

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Verizon Wireless - no, absolutely not

Verizon - in their markets, yes, in most places the ILEC, any ILEC is a monopoly. And they're all awful. Qwest is awful, CenturyTel is worse than awful, etc, etc.