Thread: Can I port a landline # to my new cell phone?

Phones
    LG 510
    LG VX6000
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Can I port a landline # to my new cell phone?

I just bought a new verizon cell phone today from Bestbuy.
    I thought I could port my home phone (landline) number to the cell phone, but the sales representative didn't think I can do it.
    Does anyone know if one can port landline # to mobile phones? And how? Thank you guys.

Phones
    LG VX-8000
    LG VX-4400 (Backup)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can, you need to go to an actual VZW corporate store and they need to process a port-tnc(telephone number change).. be forewarned that landline to cell ports can take some time... its not super quick like cell to cell ports are... when I say some time think a week or more.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus 1st line
    Galaxy Nexus 2nd line
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My SBC landline to Verizon Wireless port took 5 business days, plus the weekend, for a total of 7 days. This was several months ago, early in the year. I waited about 4 months after number portability went into effect, to give them time to work out problems.

The process went smoothly for me. At this point in time, I’m sure most of the bugs, that some encountered, when portability was new, have been addressed.

Both lines will remain active until the port actually takes place. After the port takes place, remember to reprogram your wireless phone by dialing *228 – SEND; option 1. This is “over the air” (OTA) programming and is very easy to do. This will reprogram the newly ported phone number into your wireless phone.

Make sure that your cell phone works at ALL the places you need it to work, before your 15 day Verizon trial period ends – Especially at home, if you are planning to port your home landline.

You do not need to contact the old (landline in your case) provider at all, let the new provider (Verizon) initiate the port.

IMPORTANT:
    Do NOT cancel the old line before the port. The porting process itself, will automatically cancel service with the old provider.

Side note: Every two or three months, dial: (*228-SEND; option 2) to keep your PRL (Preferred Roaming List) up to date.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Every state is different so you should call both your wireless provider and the landline provider to see what the process is. My experiences in New Jersey have been:

1. As mentioned, DO NOT cancel your landline. The port process will take care of it.
    2. In New Jersey, if you have VZ landlline service, you call your wireless carrier to initiate the port. VZ landline handles the port of a wireless TN to a landline.
    3. If you have a local dial-tone freeze, we also ask you to remove it. Technically, you are changing carriers and that will precent the port from going through on our end. PIC (LD) freezes are OK.
    4. Also question your landline carrier about billing. In some states, the port won't take place unless your balance is zero.
    5. Make sure to test your number on day one. Mistakes happen, you want to make sure your number is on your phone.

Timemender provided some excellent advise. Definately make sure the phone works where you want it to. I've had takeovers from customers who've ported a landline to wireless to find it didn't work where they needed to. Subsequently, they prt back and get call forwarding or something. Take advantage of that 15 day grace period.

At least in NJ, most ports go off without a hitch...pretty smooth process.

Phones
    LG 510
    LG VX6000
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you so much, guys!
    I will go to my local VZN dealer and ask them to do it for me. It seemed to me, the sales representative yesterday wasn't fully loaded with what she should know. (She just didn't think it could be possible.)
    It is good to have you guys help me out. Thank you all. Will let you know the process after all.

Originally posted by timemender
    My SBC landline to Verizon Wireless port took 5 business days, plus the weekend, for a total of 7 days. This was several months ago, early in the year. I waited about 4 months after number portability went into effect, to give them time to work out problems.

The process went smoothly for me. At this point in time, I’m sure most of the bugs, that some encountered, when portability was new, have been addressed.

Both lines will remain active until the port actually takes place. After the port takes place, remember to reprogram your wireless phone by dialing *228 – SEND; option 1. This is “over the air” (OTA) programming and is very easy to do. This will reprogram the newly ported phone number into your wireless phone.

Make sure that your cell phone works at ALL the places you need it to work, before your 15 day Verizon trial period ends – Especially at home, if you are planning to port your home landline.

You do not need to contact the old (landline in your case) provider at all, let the new provider (Verizon) initiate the port.

IMPORTANT:
    Do NOT cancel the old line before the port. The porting process itself, will automatically cancel service with the old provider.

Side note: Every two or three months, dial: (*228-SEND; option 2) to keep your PRL (Preferred Roaming List) up to date.

Phones
    Bionic, Thunderbolt, iPhone4, Droid X, Incredible, Droid, Devour, Omnia II, Tour, Storm, Curve,
    Pearl, Touch, Q9m, Dare, Voyager,
    Chocolate, Flipshot, Juke, Mobi, Alias, Boulder, Razr, 2128i, VX7000
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Re: Can I port a landline # to my new cell phone?

Originally posted by sector
    I just bought a new verizon cell phone today from Bestbuy.
    I thought I could port my home phone (landline) number to the cell phone, but the sales representative didn't think I can do it.
    Does anyone know if one can port landline # to mobile phones? And how? Thank you guys.
    Here is a good site for anyone with questions about porting numbers: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/NumberPortability/
    Member, Verizon Wireless Customer Council

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus 1st line
    Galaxy Nexus 2nd line
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Big Calhoun

4. Also question your landline carrier about billing. In some states, the port won't take place unless your balance is zero.

At least in NJ, most ports go off without a hitch...pretty smooth process.
    It is against FEDERAL law, for a telephone service provider to stop or hold up, any port to another company due to any outstanding balance owed.

The customer, is of course responsible, to pay any money owed.