Thread: The switch from Rogers to Fido

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

The switch from Rogers to Fido

I'm currently thinking about switching to Fido from Rogers. But I had a few questions I wanted to clear up before I went any further.

I checked out Fidos site and found out that they dont use the 850 mhz band like Rogers does, but instead they use 1900, 1800, and 900 mhz bands.
    See the whole problem I had with Rogers is that I kept buying phones that didnt support the 850 band and thus my reception wasnt that good. Since Fido uses the 900 band, well I get better reception with these kinda phones on Fido(1900,1800,900)?

Next question, how is Fido's reception compared to Rogers anyway? I cant really complain about Rogers reception now that I bought a T637 from them, but hows Fido?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated....
    Thanks peeps

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    Fido only uses 1900 (+roaming on Fido depending on plan)). Rogers uses 850 + 1900 + free roaming on the Fido network. So you really are better off on Rogers network now. Unless you prefer the price plans on Fido I wouldn't bother switching.

YMMV, but in my experience Fido's network is better for me most of the time. If you travel a lot outside the city or along the 401, you'll be glad to have Rogers coverage though.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Device(s)
    5100&3300 (good phone,sold)
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score

Re: The switch from Rogers to Fido

Originally posted by R16
    Since Fido uses the 900 band, well I get better reception with these kinda phones on Fido(1900,1800,900)?
    You got wrong infomation!
    FIDO does not use 900 band!

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Opps

Well I looked at Fidos phones, and most of them were 1900, 1800, and 900. So I assumed thats what kinda frequencies they used. I shouldnt assume

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Try setting your Rogers phone to roam exclusively on the Fido (sometimes displayed as Microcell) network for a day and see what the service is like in the areas you go. Leaving it in auto is usually best, but by forcing it onto Fido you can see what it's like, and if it's really a lot better in certain areas, great!

You can continue to do this as long as you like since Rogers owns Fido and doesn't charge for it, and it will still be billed as if you were on the Rogers system (local calling areas could be slightly different, but for the most part they are the same).

Unless you are looking to get on better bang for your buck plan like CityFido, Rogers would probably satisfy your needs since you can access either provider through them with no additional cost. On Fido, the plans that can access Rogers need to pay $5/mo after February 28th, 2005.

FYI:

Fido has a network setup on 1900-only and it's well tuned for this. If you phone lacks 850 and you're in a rural city area, Fido may very likely work better in some places.

Rogers has a network setup on 1900 & 850, but because of the traditional tower layout and the majority 800 MHz spectrum they own, it's a much better performing network with phones that support both 1900 and 850 bands.

The 1800 and 900 GSM bands are for overseas use outside of North America, like when you're in Europe or Asia (outside of Japan and Korea since they have 3G systems that make ours look like a complete joke).

Tri-bands for the most part are 1900, 1800, 900 - because until recently 850 wasn't a GSM band. Rogers custom orders their tri-band phones now with 1900 and 850, plus one of the overseas bands depending on how the phone is setup. Quad band phones contain all the proper GSM bands and are truly universal world wide where there is GSM coverage.

What people should learn from this is that:
    a) 1900 & 850 bands = North America
    b) 1800 & 900 bands = Rest of World
    c) GSM calls the 800 MHz band 850 for marketing purposes, and it's only been around for what a little over 2 years now?
    d) Rogers = 1900 & 850, and 850 makes up the best part of their network
    e) Fido = 1900 only, and is well tuned for in-city usage on this one band
    ** WARNING **
    Please use PM to communicate with me on B/S/T sales. There are people pretending to be me via e-mail with false addresses. I will gladly reply via the account "kekko" on HoFo and "kekkosan" on eBay to verify myself. When someone says they are person-x via e-mail, they could in fact be anyone so it's up to you to confirm who you are dealing with.

HoFo | eBay

The views expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect that of my employer.