Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Video Conversion Thread

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Ok everyone, I figured out exactly what is causing the green artifacting blocks that everyone is seeing on some videos made using mpegable x4 live.

The problem has to do with the resolution when making a MPEG-4 video.

You will end up getting the green garbage blocks on the top part of your video if the Y axis resolution is not exactly divisable by 16.

As most of you know, the X axis of the screen on the V710 is 176 pixels, however it does not matter what you set your X axis resolution to.

Here are some resolutions using the max X axis pixel length of 176 that will work on the V710 using mpegable x4 live with the video codec set to ISO MPEG-4 :

176 x 144
    176 x 128
    176 x 112
    176 x 96
    176 x 80
    176 x 64

As stated earlier, you can set the X axis pixel length to anything, so resolutions of 160x64 or 128x144 are just fine. The Y axis is the important number here. However since we all want max display, most will use X axis at 176 pixels.

Note : The display screen of the v710 will not show more than 128 pixels on the Y axis, even though it can playback videos with higher resolutions. It will simply remove all Y axis lines of resolution past the 128th line. So if you want max video resolution without losing any lines of resolution, 176x128 is the resolution to use.

Also, you can use any video bitrate, any audio bitrate, and any frame rate you want. These items have no affect from what others claim to be what is causing the green blocks.

FYI : The reason noone has the green blocks when using Quicktime when converting videos is that Quicktime has the resolution choices locked to 176x144 and 128x96, which we now know are compliant with the rule of Y being wholly divisable by 16. But as we all also know, Quicktime's video conversion is horrible.

So far, mpegable x4 live has the best video conversion out right now. So stop wasting your time with the other programs.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Figured I'd make another post that shows how to access the settings for the resolution of video.

The easist way to setup a conversion :

1. Open mpegable x4 live

2. On the Basic I/O tab
    - In the Input field (marked (1)), use Browse to select the video you plan to convert
    - In the Encoding Profile field (marked (3), scroll down and double click the line "Motorola devices", which will place a green checkmark next to it.

3. Goto the Video Encoding tab
    - You can set the video bitrate to whatever you want.
    - Be sure that Video Codec is set to ISO MPEG-4 (mpegable)

4. Goto the Audio Encoding tab
    - You can set the Audio Bitrate to whatever you want
    - Make sure Audio Codec is set to MPEG-4 AAC
    - Channels should be set to Mono
    - You can set the Sample Rate Conversion to whatever you want.

5. Goto the Image Preprocessing tab
    - Only the Cropping / Resizing checkbox should be checked here.
    - Press the Setup button inside the Cropping / Resizing field.
    - Set Absolute Size to the User Defined radio button
    - If you want to make sure the aspect ratio of the video is kept intact, make sure to check the Constrain Proportions checkmark box.
    - You can now set the Resized field to the resolution you want. Remember that the Y axis must be exactly divisable by 16 or you will get curropt video playback on the v710.
    - Press the OK button

6. Goto the Video Preprocessing tab
    - Set the Target Framerate field to User defined. This is the field you set your framerate in.

7. Goto Interoperability tab
    - Verify that the 3GPP radio button is selected
    - Verify that Video Codec is set to MPEG-4 SP @ level 0
    - Verify that Audio Codec is set to AAC

8. Goto the Basic I/O tab
    - In the Start Encoding field (marked (4), click the Red Circle button to start the conversion.

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Any one know what steps to convert DVD. I want to convert a couple clips from "Animatrix"

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You have to use DvD Decrypter(Free) and rip them in ISO mode to your hard drive and then convert them from there
    Treo 700W Baby.....stupid V710 is LOOOOOOONG gone

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks
    I was able to convert Animatrix 'Beyond" and it plays great.

Is there a way to crop the sides slightly with Mpegable?
    I think it would look better if I could avoid squeezing the widescreen format to fit the screen.

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It would be nice if you could flip the image sideways and use the whole screen to view the video like with vcast. A shame much of the great v710 screen is wasted.

Funny, with the Animatrix clip there is a close-up of a computer screen with a city locater visual that when playing looks like its actually a feature on the phone. This could make for some pretty convincing fake functions for the v710 with a video editing program like Vegas.
    Last edited by Fastfinger; 02-06-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola DROID
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless :)
    Feedback Score
    2 things
    1. I am able to do this on my vx7000 (picture below) I was able to load a 5mb video on it. The vx7000 must have plenty of space, but you can't see it.
    2. If you want the patch for the program so the label goes away, PM ME! I would post the link here, but I don't think it's allowed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Answer a man's already answered question - satisfy him for only a thread.
    Teach a man to search a board - he'll teach himself to learn for a lifetime.

Device(s)
    v710
    Feedback Score
    so I have followed the instructions exactly and i can get the movies to show up on the phone but when i go to play them it says it's playing but nothing...any ideas?

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by captain13
    so I have followed the instructions exactly and i can get the movies to show up on the phone but when i go to play them it says it's playing but nothing...any ideas?

Do the video file play in Mpegable?
    Last edited by Fastfinger; 02-08-2005 at 12:05 AM.

Device(s)
    XV6800 - (Currently)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What's up nikolasmor?? Hey guys I hope this was'nt posted already but I felt I should share this with you all. Don't get excited I don't have any tips but I do want to post a few movies for you guys.

This is the Sony Advert Mpeg... In my opinion it's the best movie file to test the different MPEGABLE settings with.

SAVE TARGET AS for all files.. Thanks!

Sony Advert MPEG

Next are two conversions that I made using this MPEG with MPEGABLE....

The first one is a .3gp
    Sony_Advert_3gp

The second one is a .mp4
    Sony_Advert_mp4

Good Luck!!

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hey whats up 99, it wont let me open the latter 2 videos

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to find an easier way to convert DVD content.

Steps
    Decrypter - rip to drive
    DVD2Avi - make readable video file
    Virtualdub - to interlace audio/video
    Mpegable

Is their a simpler way?

Thanks

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah DVD Decrypter
    Mpegable

Device(s)
    XV6800 - (Currently)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmm... I don't know what's wrong. It worked for me. I wonder if the bandwidth is close to full on my page.

Anyway I hope you all can check them out.

BTW I think I heard of a DVD converter. I can't remember the name of it, but it also converts .mov to .mpg or .avi.

Sorry if I remember I'll let you know.
    --------------------------------------------
    Oh well there you go!

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In DVD Decrypter go to "mode" and click IFO. Then select Tools, settings and click on the IFO tab. In here change the file splitting tab to whatever you desire. I usually use 1 GB for real movies and it splits it into 30 minute segments so they are easier to work with. You can also split by chapter for TV to DVD(seinfeld, family guy) etc to split it by episode Hope this helps

Nikolas

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by nikolasmor
    In DVD Decrypter go to "mode" and click IFO. Then select Tools, settings and click on the IFO tab. In here change the file splitting tab to whatever you desire. I usually use 1 GB for real movies and it splits it into 30 minute segments so they are easier to work with. You can also split by chapter for TV to DVD(seinfeld, family guy) etc to split it by episode Hope this helps

Nikolas

I guess I should check out the program functions instead of using the default settings. Thanks for you help.

Device(s)
    DROID by Motorola
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Must.. have... Napoleon Dynamite on my phone. lol.

I might just have to give it a shot myself.

I love technology.

Device(s)
    iphone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by nikolasmor

Nikolas
    nikolasmor is anything missing?
    Selecting IFO made mpegable lock-up when importing

Feedback Score
    ummmmmmm this is kinda a stupid question but how would i save the mpegable movie to my 710

Device(s)
    v710
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    i have done some more experimenting with ripping dvds and this is the conclusion: the software i listed in my old thread about ripping dvds is correct and i stand behind it 100% i have not used mpegable so im not knocking it however i have done more tweaking to the tools i have used in the 3gp converter i set it to high quality 15 fps stereo and i know that most of you are going "stereo?! wtf there is no need for stereo" well i found out how to get stereo with your vids however this requires quicktime pro. if you follow my instructions in my previous thread the file will be between 100mbs to 115mbs!!! what i have done and why is what i will explain...

these instructions are suppliment to the others i had given prior to this.

after the file has been put thru 3gp converter the file will be 200-250mbs way too big!
    in quicktime pro export the file as 3g2 in video leave the settings alone except the bitrate that will be toggled with later...
    there is a drop down menu in qt pro which will say video audio etc...

select audio and change from amr-speech to pass thru which means the audio will be the same as it was in the 3gp converter
    (stereo)

next head back to the video tab from the drop down menu and set the most desirable bitrate about 80kbs yeilds no problems and the video is very legible!
    (just make sure your contrast is set to 2 in intial settings)

the reason for this is if you own the stereo headset then it makes veiwing more of a pleasure to you. as i found out myself

laterz
    porky plop,plop,suey now im eatin' twigs

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast