Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Port 80... Simple!

Phones
    iPhone 3GS, N78, N82, N81 8GB,N95-4, N95-3, N95-1 PINK!, N73 PINK/WHITE!, N90 proto, OEM Pink N-Gage
    iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Port 80... Simple!

There are so many threads popping up about port 80 since October. I posted the information that was on streamline months ago and it seems to have gone un-noticed (don't ask where I got it!!) In any case, here is the information that was posted:

On October 24, T-Mobile made some changes to our GPRS Data network. The changes will close port 80 (which is the port used for HTTP Internet Access) on our Internet routers to customers that only have the t-zones SOCs and use their SIM in a PDA or GPRS Data Card.
    Customer that have t-zones and use their SIM only in their phone will not see any changes. If a customers wish to continue to using their SIM in either a PDA or GPRS Data Card and wish to browse the internet over port 80 (HTTP request) they will need to add T-Mobile Unlimited or the T-Mobile Unlimited VPN
    These changes will not affect customers with t-zones who browse WML or XHTML Web Sites from the handset WAP browser. Some third party handsets with HTTP may be affected.

What this means is that If you have T-Zones 4.99 or T-Zones 9.99 you cannot have access to port 80!!!! Grandfathered plans included!! The only solution is to get the unlimited internet $19.99 add-on!!

Some areas may still be able to access port 80, but by the end of the year that will change. People there is no way around this. If you have a PDA, BlackBerry, Sidekick or Treo I suggest that you get the accompanying plan if you do not want your port 80 affected.

I will leave the current threads open, unless they get out of hand, but this thread will be stickied and I would appreciate it if all port 80 issues could be posted here instead of every page of the T-Mobile forum. Thank you.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Blackberry Pearl Flip 8220
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you Darla, we needed a bit of order in here. I haven't even bothered coming to the T-Mobile threads because all I see is port 80 whining. You dont have it anymore, PAY UP OR SHUT UP!!
    mister [GREG]
    Happily HoFo'ed Since: Nov. 11, 2002

Phones
    BB Bold 9000
    Lots more.
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by iwantyoursax
    PAY UP OR SHUT UP!!
    I gladly will be paying up for my HTML access- to Cingular Wireless

Only then will I be fully satisfied with my decision to fork over an extra $20 a month, because i'll be getting EDGE with my whine.
    I'm hot and sexy.

Phone
    Samsung Eternity
    Carrier
    at&t Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for a little better explanation on exactly what this Port 80 thing is all about for us newcomers. Maybe it will be helpful to distinquish the difference between WAP and HTTP internet access.

I could care less about this Port 80 stuff, as I have a computer with internet access basically anywhere I go, home, work, or friends' houses. Why do I need to browse the net on a small ××× screen?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by blurredvision
    Thanks for a little better explanation on exactly what this Port 80 thing is all about for us newcomers. Maybe it will be helpful to distinquish the difference between WAP and HTTP internet access.

I could care less about this Port 80 stuff, as I have a computer with internet access basically anywhere I go, home, work, or friends' houses. Why do I need to browse the net on a small ××× screen?
    mmm... you have a phone at those places too. Might as well ditch your cell.
    What was your username again? -BOFH

Phone
    Samsung Eternity
    Carrier
    at&t Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by outz
    mmm... you have a phone at those places too. Might as well ditch your cell.
    What do I do when I get stuck on the side of the road? I wouldn't have a phone on the side of the highway then.

Phones
    QTEK 8080
    POCKET PC
    E715
    Feedback Score

wow!!

So this whole time i had my pocket pc and my $19.99 unlimited plan, people with the regular tzones/tzones pro paying $4.99 and 9.99 were able to get full HTML web browsing due to the fact port 80 was open. Wow, i over paid alot, lets see.......

signed up back in JULY 2003 up until OCT 2004

15 months X $15.00 = $225.00.....i paid $225.00 bucks more than the people who used the $4.99 plan....

Feedback Score
    Ok, what about smartphone & symbian users?

We can have programs on our phones that operate on differing ports, are they affected since technnically the sim is in a phone and not a data device?

Example, w/ the $4.99 plan, aside from http, does agile messanger, email clients, weather and traffic programs and streaming content still work?

Phone
    se t-610
    Feedback Score
    user64222005!

DONT feel so bad because it is my understanding that the $1995 gave you access to ALL ports included those for secure ssl transactions and emails.

You cant do that on the lower priced t-zone plan.

HOW MANY HERE are gonna call t-mobile to complain about this dumb new policy. I called to complain once but the rep was clueless to their own policy. I would like to get a thread going as to how the rep reacts to each complaint call.

Phones
    Nokia N80
    Motorola V188
    Nokia 6600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Some people here are just torturing the customer service reps.

Keep in mind it's not possible for these people to be completely knowledgeable on everything related to t-mobile and the products they provide --- They're not getting paid that much.
    They don't set policies, they don't create plans, they can do very little to remedy situations which aren't caused by technical difficulties.

If you have an honest interest in complaining, do so TO T-MOBILE, not the friendly people who answer their phones and can't do a single thing about it. Write a letter to t-mobile corporate.

It'll fall on deaf ears, but it'll fall on the right set of deaf ears.

Face it, the $4.99 port 80 access is gone and nothing will return it.
    It's cost effective for them. Think about it, $15/mo extra. For everyone who simply removes the $4.99 t-zones, they get at LEAST 1 person who adds data service. And anyone who actually cancels t-mobile all together is still not costing them a dime, they're still pulling in more money from it all.

Plus, this has to drop off overall data usage on their network significantly. Imagine how much they save on bandwidth and how much more capacity is left.

They are a business, and this was a smart business move to make. But if you want to threaten them with 1 unsatisfactory customer because you don't like a shift in their policies, then go right ahead -- stress yourself out and be right where you ended up at in the beginning.

Phone
    Sprint Motorola Q
    Carrier
    SprintPCS
    Feedback Score
    It seems to me that TMo could have avoided a lot of problems through the simple courtesy of notifying both customers and their own customer and tech support people of their plans to close port 80. Even now, there is info on the website and in stores that can lead potential subscribers to believe that Tzones includes web surfing.
    Tmo created this mess, and needs to take responsibility.
    Mick

Phones
    HTC MOGUL!!!! Tmobile SDA (may be selling soon, thinks its a Imate SP5m), HTC MDA (Custom WM6 ROM)
    Sony Ericsson T610 (sold), Nokia 6230b w/netmonitor (sold)
    Previously: Nextel | Moto i85, i1000+
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Not exactly...

Darla oversimplified the situation here. Its not exactly true that there is no way around this...

To clarify: Ports range from 0 to about 65000, each being assigned a different purpose. For example, http is port 80, email is 110, and so on.

Yes, port 80 is dead on any device outside of your cell phone. It used to be free, then cheap, now if you want port 80, you have to pay the full price.
    But, there are several ports STILL OPEN on T-mobiles cellular data network.

For starters, port 110 is still open so that people can check their mail ( I beleive that they left this one since it is required to allow some phones to check email). While port 110 isn't normally used for web browsing, with a little network know-how, and access to a computer that's always online, you can set up something called a proxy server , which will allow you to connect to it on port 110 (which your phone will allow), and forward it to 80 for you.
    If you are not familiar with this kind of stuff, it can get a bit complicated. Ask someone who knows networking to help you. Otherwise, just pay the $19.99, and do it legit.

Oh, and just so you know... it works. In fact, I'm doing it now. Have a proxy set up on my office computer, which is always on, and always online, and it works flawlessly. Only paying $4.99 for T-Zones.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Dishe; 12-13-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Phone
    Sanyo PM 8200
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Re: Not exactly...

Originally posted by Dishe
    Darla oversimplified the situation here. Its not exactly true that there is no way around this...

To clarify: Ports range from 0 to about 65000, each being assigned a different purpose. For example, http is port 80, email is 110, and so on.

Yes, port 80 is dead on any device outside of your cell phone. It used to be free, then cheap, now if you want port 80, you have to pay the full price.
    But, there are several ports STILL OPEN on T-mobiles cellular data network.

For starters, port 110 is still open so that people can check their mail ( I beleive that they left this one since it is required to allow some phones to check email). While port 110 isn't normally used for web browsing, with a little network know-how, and access to a computer that's always online, you can set up something called a proxy server , which will allow you to connect to it on port 110 (which your phone will allow), and forward it to 80 for you.
    If you are not familiar with this kind of stuff, it can get a bit complicated. Ask someone who knows networking to help you. Otherwise, just pay the $19.99, and do it legit.

Oh, and just so you know... it works. In fact, I'm doing it now. Have a proxy set up on my office computer, which is always on, and always online, and it works flawlessly. Only paying $4.99 for T-Zones.
    Good luck!
    very interesting...too bad i already signed up for the 19.99 plan...but i understand tmo, they said there was simply way too much traffic on the 4.99 plan with people abusing what was left undetected. all good things come to an end, so this was expected and only a matter of time. if internet is that important to you , then we just have to pay for it. i don't like it either, but that is reality.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS, N78, N82, N81 8GB,N95-4, N95-3, N95-1 PINK!, N73 PINK/WHITE!, N90 proto, OEM Pink N-Gage
    iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't think I oversimplified the situation. I just basically wrote what T-Mobile told to me. I haven't done any testing on proxies and stuff like that. Just relaying the message as it was told.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    iPhone 2G
    Sony Ericsson TM506
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why pay $19.99 to T-Mobile for unlimted GPRS when you can pay $15 for unlimited 1X with Sprint or $20 for unlimited EDGE with Cingular, both with unresticted ports including streaming video/audio?

Only reason I paid for the T-zones was to use the GPRS with my phone and IM (laptop use sometimes) and now that's dead, doesn't look like a good deal compared to competitors. Maybe I'll try that port 25 proxy thing

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast