Thread: BC/WA roaming stories?

Phone
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score

BC/WA roaming stories?

OK, first off the bat, I live in Vancouver, BC. And I have a Nokia 5125 (800 MHz) phone.

I have made some calls while on the American side and have found some "inconsistencies". I would like to know if any of you could fill me in with some answers.

When I used to get called out to work in Tsawwassen, I would drive across the border to Point Roberts, WA to gas up the car before heading back north home to Vancouver. As soon as I cross the border, my phone is still on "Home", using the Rogers site in Tsawwassen. However, when I finally arrive at the Chevron station in from of Marketplace, my phone starts roaming. My question is: is it roaming on Canadian Rogers AT&T sites on the Gulf Islands or on an American AT&T Wireless site in Blaine, WA or the San Juan Islands? (I did not make or receive any calls, so I don't know.)

OK, and here are a few roaming quirks. Once, en route to Seattle, immiediately after crossing through the US border at the Peace Arch, I received a call. It was still on "Home". But when I got the bill at the end of the month, the call was billed as "Roaming - In Victoria, BC". That's unusual because if I am physically in Victoria, my phone would say "Neutral" not "Home".

Similarly, when I was inside Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham, WA (which is a good 20 miles south of the border - but along the water), I received a call from home. When I got the bill, it was not charged as a roaming call on ATTWS, but as a Rogers AT&T roaming call from Victoria!!! So the Canadian Rogers signal from Victoria is stronger than the US ATTWS signal in Bellingham??? (And Victoria is 50+ miles across the Georgia Strait from Bellingham, WA.)

That means I only paid $0.25/minute for long distance, NOT $0.95/minute for US roaming in addition to the $0.25/minute long distance.

Any other stories?
    *YVR*SEA*PDX*

THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST RULES, BABY!

Phones
    T616 (w/HBH-35)
    i830 (Silver)
    Bye-Bye i730 POS!
    Carriers
    AT&T GSM &
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Roaming

If you were on the Pt Roberts side, you were hitting a AT&T site, not a Rogers site. From what I heard from AT&T here in Seattle was that there was some sort of signal blocking device and users on Pt Roberts would hit a US tower, NOT a Rogers Tower. I worked in PT Roberts for a week in September and all my calls (service was awful anyway) did NOT get hit with the Canadian Roaming charge.

Phone
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question Re: Roaming

Originally posted by POG22
    If you were on the Pt Roberts side, you were hitting a AT&T site, not a Rogers site. From what I heard from AT&T here in Seattle was that there was some sort of signal blocking device and users on Pt Roberts would hit a US tower, NOT a Rogers Tower. I worked in PT Roberts for a week in September and all my calls (service was awful anyway) did NOT get hit with the Canadian Roaming charge.
    Hmmm... I guess two things could be at play here... phones could prefer to "roam" on home-friendly cell sites rather on foreign sites, wherever possible... for example, when I received a call while in Bellingham, but the call was billed as "Victoria, BC".

The other is the possibility of a signal bocker... Where would the signal blocker be located? I was still on Rogers network for the better part of Point Roberts, until I reached the gas station.

I read somewhere that some wireless companies in the US are considering the installation of cell sites right in Point Roberts. I think they are going to build a general communications tower, primarily for low-power TV stations, with the possibility of renting a part of the tower to cell service providers.