Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Switch from AT&T to T-MOBILE?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,104
    Phones
    iPhone 3G White, S710a (backup)
    P900 sold, Nokia 3650 (sold) Samsung S300 (sold), Samsung V205 (sold), Nokia 7210 (sold)
    Siemens S55 (sold)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question Switch from AT&T to T-MOBILE?

    I was just wondering...ive been with at&t for 3 or 4 years now...used to have tdma now have gsm. I just bought a s100 to use, and its an awesome phone, but i heard that tmobile is awesome too, and that at&t is bad to most people. in the area i travel, i get great coverage...but today i went to another area i dont go in a lot and get 1 bar...no bar...etc. It kept dropping and had no signal in various areas. I went to a tmobile store today and they have had gsm for a long time, when at&t had told me that att was the first to have it (in april or may 2002 i think is when they got it) Tmobile seems to have much better coverage, but is the service much better? The thing that screws me over is the att 2 year contract i still have...argh...but when its up, or if i cancel it, i already know which tmobile plan ill get, and ill use my s100. The free roaming and long distance is awesome, and the family plan is what i would get, with my gf and her v70 when they release it, we will get that account...so does this sound like a good move or bad move? i would get more minutes technically since i use most of my minutes talking to her, so id just call her cell. Anyway someone let me know if they have had experience with florida tmobile area specifically central area. Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
    Apple iPhone 3G - SE S710a

    **My Feedback**

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    2,034
    Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Switch from AT&T to T-MOBILE?

    Originally posted by jfandem
    I was just wondering...ive been with at&t for 3 or 4 years now...used to have tdma now have gsm. I just bought a s100 to use, and its an awesome phone, but i heard that tmobile is awesome too, and that at&t is bad to most people. in the area i travel, i get great coverage...but today i went to another area i dont go in a lot and get 1 bar...no bar...etc. It kept dropping and had no signal in various areas. I went to a tmobile store today and they have had gsm for a long time, when at&t had told me that att was the first to have it (in april or may 2002 i think is when they got it) Tmobile seems to have much better coverage, but is the service much better? The thing that screws me over <SNIP>
    jfandem,

    Well, T-Mobile has been good to me and works where I need it to work. Customer service is always good, too. I'm not sure where you are in the country, so I can't say for sure if T-Mobile's coverage would be adequate enough for you in your area.

    Keep in mind with the family plan, you do get the roaming & long-distance included and I believe unlimited weekends(??), but the $6.99/mo option for unlimited weeknights cannot be added to the family plans - its not an option.

    Since you already have phones, you can just go to the T-Mo store and setup an account, you do have 14 days to try out the service, and if for some reason you don't like it you can cancel and stick with AT&T.

    As for AT&T telling you that they were first to have GSM in the country, ha ha ha!! That is definately a good one. Seems like sales people will tell anyone anything these days.

    Thanks,
    Eric K
    Orlando, FL

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,104
    Phones
    iPhone 3G White, S710a (backup)
    P900 sold, Nokia 3650 (sold) Samsung S300 (sold), Samsung V205 (sold), Nokia 7210 (sold)
    Siemens S55 (sold)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hey man, i already said im in orlando fl, exactly where u are!! where do u live near? ive never met a floridian on hofo...thats cool! thanks for your info! ill do that...ANY MORE OPINIONS FROM OTHERS?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Newberry, Fl
    Posts
    40
    Phones
    Nokia 6650
    Motorola E815 Verizon goodbye
    Audiovox 9900 (retired)
    Carrier
    Att
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm from North Central Fl. and about 98% satisfied with T-Mobile/Voicestream/Powertel . If you can tell my family has been with them for quite a few years. Service (reception) is great in my area, and what little that i've used it in Orlando was satisfactory (near the Hard Rock and the Airport). My only complaint for right now, is the current and possible future lack of Nokia phones. I say this because as of now ATT offers the 6310i,6590,8390 and 3590.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    2,034
    Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Switch from AT&T to T-MOBILE?

    Originally posted by jfandem
    cell. Anyway someone let me know if they have had experience with florida tmobile area specifically central area. Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
    Ok, duh! If I would've read your entire post instead of reading parts of it I would know what part of the country you are in. :-)

    Well, I am in the Orlando, FL T-Mobile market and I can say that coverage is superb in central FL......from coast to coast (Daytona/Melbourne/Cocoa all the way to Tampa Bay/St.Pete).

    If you are in south FL, namely Miami/Ft Lauderdale - the coverage down there is good, too....I go down to Ft Lauderdale every few months to visit some friends and never have a problem with coverage there.

    Jacksonville seems to have very decent service as well, I've only drive up I-95 through the city - not really in and around the city so I can't say for sure - but I'm sure its decent service everywhere in Jax.

    Coverage on the major highways in FL seems to be covered fully, as far as I can tell. All of I-4 is covered. I believe all of I-95 is covered (haven't found a dead spot on I-95)...I know the FL Turnpike from Orlando down to south FL is covered, also. I-75 in west FL seems to be covered accept for a small portion between I believe it is Sarasota & Naples? I haven't traveled down that far in SW FL - I've only gone to just north of Sarasota and had coverage.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    2,034
    Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by jfandem
    Hey man, i already said im in orlando fl, exactly where u are!! where do u live near? ive never met a floridian on hofo...thats cool! thanks for your info! ill do that...ANY MORE OPINIONS FROM OTHERS?
    I live in Casselberry off of SR436 (very near Hwy 17-92).

    Eric K
    Orlando, FL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    2,034
    Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    0

    s100/105

    jfandem,

    from what I can tell you really like the s100. What makes you like it so much? What kind of features does it have, etc. I am curious to see one, when my next bill is due I will have to go into my local T-Mo store and look at one (assuming they're selling them by then) - I may look into purchasing one depending on the costs.

    How's the RF and voicequality on it overall?

    Thanks,
    Eric K
    Orlando, FL

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lititz, PA
    Posts
    3,271
    Phone
    Moto Cliq
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by deezuhl
    lack of Nokia phones. I say this because as of now ATT offers the 6310i,6590,8390 and 3590.
    Aren't the 6590 and 3590 both dual band 850/1900 MHz? TMO will never offer them since their network is 1900 only, and they have no roaming agreements with 850 providers. Even when Cingular rolls out 850, TMO customers won't need it since the TMO coverage should cover them anyway. The 8390 is an overpriced (to the carrier) 8290 with GPRS.

    That said, I hope TMO offers both the 7210 and 6310i

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    US
    Posts
    124
    Phones
    Motorola V60i (gsm)
    Touchpoint 1100 (LG)
    Motorola V60g
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Re: Switch from AT&T to T-MOBILE?

    Originally posted by eakenn
    jfandem,

    Well, T-Mobile has been good to me and works where I need it to work. Customer service is always good, too. I'm not sure where you are in the country, so I can't say for sure if T-Mobile's coverage would be adequate enough for you in your area.

    Keep in mind with the family plan, you do get the roaming & long-distance included and I believe unlimited weekends(??), but the $6.99/mo option for unlimited weeknights cannot be added to the family plans - its not an option.

    Since you already have phones, you can just go to the T-Mo store and setup an account, you do have 14 days to try out the service, and if for some reason you don't like it you can cancel and stick with AT&T.

    As for AT&T telling you that they were first to have GSM in the country, ha ha ha!! That is definately a good one. Seems like sales people will tell anyone anything these days.

    Thanks,
    Eric K
    Orlando, FL
    That' is not 100% correct. You have 14 days to return hardware, but something like 48 to 72 hours to get out of the contract. I have talked to about every customer service rep, and cancellation dept person and they all state the same thing. I tried to cancel my service due to lack of coverage in the Houston, TX area. I cannot make phone calls from my house. My house is at HW290 and Beltway 8, which according to their maps I should be getting GREAT service. Their normal trick is to send you a new phone to see if that "fixes the problem"... by they time you realize it didn't help you; you're out of the 72-hour window to cancel the contract. What bull*****! They knew it would not make a difference, and they knew if would be too late to cancel by then. They know how to screw a person well, as they know all the tricks. I would recommend everyone read the fine print very carefully.

    I had got rid of my home phone and went 100% cell over a year ago with Sprint. I decided to try t-mobile, and now I cannot make phone calls from my house. So much for going 100% mobile and cutting the cord forever. Thanks t-mobile!

    I guess T-moble gives us in the Houston, TX area 3000 minutes, 33% more than I was getting from Sprint (1000 any/1000 night & weekends) to make up for the 33% less coverage area.

    I am counting the days down until I am free from this hell contract.
    -=TBURT=-

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,104
    Phones
    iPhone 3G White, S710a (backup)
    P900 sold, Nokia 3650 (sold) Samsung S300 (sold), Samsung V205 (sold), Nokia 7210 (sold)
    Siemens S55 (sold)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hey eakenn,

    Man i really do love the s100. T mobile is coming out with the s105 actually, its just a US version of it (same exact thing, except for voicedialing, and maybe some other new features, but i can flash mine to s105 software soon!). I definetly recommend it. The call quality is like a landline (or better) and the RF is normally all the way up (6 bars) except in AT&T's spotty areas. That isnt the phones fault though. The 16 chord polyphonic ringtones are awesome, and you can put any midi file on it that you can find (after converting to MMF.) Tmobile reps at the store said to come back at the end of the month and it SHOULD be out, for like 299.99 and maybe a rebate. Thats not bad, i paid 480 for my unlocked one, but its worth having it already! The screen is amazing too, definetly get this phone. Hope this helps!!

Bookmarks