Thread: motorola V60 (CDMA) in a new BMW 745Li

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nokia 6230
    Carriers
    Alltel via Verizon
    Feedback Score

motorola V60 (CDMA) in a new BMW 745Li

so my dad just ordered his 2nd BMW 745 (lease just ended on the first one).

The motorola phone that was provided with the 2002 model was a timeport 8000 (aka silver Startac with BMW on it). The only choice is between a CDMA or TDMA version (no GSM as far as the dealer knows) It currently gets about 10 hours of standby time on its 4th battery...
    for an $80,000 car dont you think its a little weird to sell an almost 10 year old cell phone with it?

the 2004 model 745Li has an upgraded phone.... this one is only about 6 years old. A Motorola V60 (CDMA)... my god. Its not like motorola doesnt have any newer more updated phones on the market. If it has to be a motorla due to an agreement and the software in the car (its integrated into the radio as a speakerphone and has a dashboard dialpad - not any motorola will integrate, i've tried) How about a V70, V80, V180, V710, V265, V3, V600, etc etc

does anybody know what comes with euro-7 series Bimmers?

weird
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Phones
    HP HW6515 Pocket PC
    Motorola ROKR E1
    Motorola V60c
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    i believe you have the CPT9000 (V60) version.

there is a retrofit kit for bluetooth if you want to use other phones.

all the phones i saw listed are from siemens, and motorola. dual bands and single band gsm. there are also hard wired ones where you plug your sim card into the dash. (i work for bmw)

best to do is to call up your local bmw dealer and speak to the parts department.
    Last edited by schnitzer; 01-13-2005 at 08:19 PM.

Phone
    Google Nexus 4
    Carrier
    GoSmart Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hate you and your dad.

Phone
    Carriers
    Alltel via Verizon
    Feedback Score
    he'd be very interested in a newer/better phone

what models of Siemens or Moto GSM phones are supported? (with or without a retrofit kit) he wants to ditch his verizon line and port to t-mob (through me)

he wouldnt want a hardwired one as a removable cell-piece is important, dual or single band GSM is fine (as long as one of those is 1900...) he doesnt travel internationally.

whether bluetooth is required or not for this to work is fine. I dont think he'd care.

thanks for your suggestions, i have a feeling that all this will be news to my local dealer... (Habberstad BMW in huntington, NY)
    Last edited by hillstrubl; 01-13-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Phone
    LG Dare VX9700
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    get a bluetooth fone on tmobile then (i suggest the motorola v600) and get the motorola bluetooth kit installed (http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin...37337&zipcode=)
    im not sure where u live, but at the place i work our technician has a lot of experience (17 yrs) with any car accessories installs and we install that at 285. the two together work great.

Phone
    Carriers
    Alltel via Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We dont want a garden variety bluetooth kit. We just want a better phone than a V60 that is tied into the car's existing hardware/software (uses the radio for speakerphone, can dial from the dashboard keypad and loads the address book onto the car's display) whether its through a retrofit kit that uses a newer/different cable and attaches in the glovebox (like the current phone) or wireless (via bluetooth) i dont care, but I think if we want it supported by BMW the wired option is much more likely...

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Atrix 4G
    Nokia E51
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would also suggest getting the Bluetooth retrofit. It is a lot better than the wired. It is also transfer your contacts onto the iDrive screen and can make calls from there. The two phones that come to my head that works with the BMW bluetooth (at least the 5 Series bluetooth) is the Motorola V600/V551 and Sony Ericsson T630/T637.

Phone
    Carriers
    Alltel via Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ill give them a call tomorrow, thanks

Phone
    Bold 2
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    when you say retro fit with bluetooth is it a bmw kit? or are you talking about the standard moto kit?

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Atrix 4G
    Nokia E51
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It is a BMW kit.

Feedback Score

Re: motorola V60 (CDMA) in a new BMW 745Li

Originally posted by hillstrubl
    so my dad just ordered his 2nd BMW 745 (lease just ended on the first one).

The motorola phone that was provided with the 2002 model was a timeport 8000 (aka silver Startac with BMW on it). The only choice is between a CDMA or TDMA version (no GSM as far as the dealer knows) It currently gets about 10 hours of standby time on its 4th battery...
    for an $80,000 car dont you think its a little weird to sell an almost 10 year old cell phone with it?

the 2004 model 745Li has an upgraded phone.... this one is only about 6 years old. A Motorola V60 (CDMA)... my god. Its not like motorola doesnt have any newer more updated phones on the market. If it has to be a motorla due to an agreement and the software in the car (its integrated into the radio as a speakerphone and has a dashboard dialpad - not any motorola will integrate, i've tried) How about a V70, V80, V180, V710, V265, V3, V600, etc etc

does anybody know what comes with euro-7 series Bimmers?

weird
    The dealer can most certainly get you a GSM V60 for your new car. I am 100% certain of it.

Some parts department personnel at dealerships don't know the difference between CDMA, TDMA and GSM. For the new car you are getting, you need to specifically request that they provide a GSM phone.

Feedback Score
    I have a 2004 BMW 745i.. It did come with a CDMA V60 but the dealer did swap it for a V60 GSM without any problems.