Thread: Caller ID Name Horribly Incorrect - How To Fix?

Phones
    Siemens S 55
    LG VX4400
    LG VX2000
    Carriers
    o2 Deutschland, T-Mobile Deutschland
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

Caller ID Name Horribly Incorrect - How To Fix?

Here's the problem . . . when I call people who have Caller ID, the name on their Caller ID display doesn't say "Hurd, Aaron" or something normal . . . it says "Mid American Energy" which is the power company in Des Moines, Iowa.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Does anyone know how one would go about getting this corrected? I've called Verizon's customer service; they say that they can do nothing. Also, I've had this number for more than 5 years, so this isn't a porting problem.

Aaron

Phone
    Blade
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thats strange. Verizon doesnt provide outgoing callerid name info.
    The database your telco uses to look up the ani may be messed up.

The only thing sent over the telephone network when a call is placed is the ANI (which is basically the numeric portion of the caller id info) and a flag whether that number is private or not. The receiving central office switch then does a couple things with it. First if the private flag is there, it sends "PRIVATE CALL" or some similar message to the receiver's caller id box and a number of all zeros and a flag character telling the Cid box the number is private. (The box/phone/device will display that in whatever way the device designer intended, e.g., "PRIVATE NUMBER".)

If no "private flag", then the receiving switch does a database lookup for the directory number received. If it is in the database, it sends that name to the caller id device. If not, it won't send anything, and it's up to the device how it gets displayed. (Might display nothing, might display "UNKNOWN name", etc.) The switch may also use a generic area descriptor (based on area code)
    Hope this helps.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G [16GB- White]
    Others: To many to keep track
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Did you port your number? Verizon Wireless does not send names with the caller ID unless you ported...

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Well the numbers I ported into VZW show Unavailable for the name, but they do transmit the number. Numbers not ported show City/State here in my area.

Phone
    lg6100
    Feedback Score
    make your number private that way it wont say the energy co.

Phones
    Siemens S 55
    LG VX4400
    LG VX2000
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Dewars
    Did you port your number? Verizon Wireless does not send names with the caller ID unless you ported...
    No, I did not port my number; I've had this number for around five years. Has anyone else on Howard Forums had their name show up on landline Caller-IDs when they're calling from a cell phone?
    Last edited by aaronhurd; 01-16-2005 at 02:23 AM.

Phones
    VX6000
    VX4500 - Wife
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Depending on where you live, your name may or may not show up on caller id's. When I call someone here in Ohio, just my number appears, but whenever my parents call me at work, (from their Kokomo, Indiana based cellular company, Centennial Wireless) my dads name(which is whos name the account is in) pops up on the caller id. (I am talking about a call from Wireless to Landline). I also know that other carriers in Indiana such as Cingular, is the same way, when my brother calls me at work, his name and number appears also (also from Kokomo, Indiana).
    But when I call from Ohio to Indiana or be in Indiana call my parents home in Kokomo, Indiana, then the name shows as Out of Area, but shows my number.

Phones
    LG VX9100
    LG VX8350
    Motorola KRZR K1m (Vivo Flash)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by vzwagentinohio
    Depending on where you live, your name may or may not show up on caller id's.
    Originally posted by gsmseattle
    Verizon doesnt provide outgoing callerid name info.

Phones
    vx4500
    v120c (retired!)
    Carrier
    Verizon AC, formerly Freeup
    Feedback Score
    If its a problem with the teleco like "gsmseattle" mentioned maybe try calling Iowa Telecom (I am guessing they are the only local provider in Ames) and alerting them of the problem.

Either that or use this to your advantage and start calling people and telling them their bill is late and you will shut off their gas if they don't give you billing information over the phone.

Heh, okay, j/k.

Phones
    Siemens S 55
    LG VX4400
    LG VX2000
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by sgenilon
    If its a problem with the teleco like "gsmseattle" mentioned maybe try calling Iowa Telecom (I am guessing they are the only local provider in Ames) and alerting them of the problem.

Either that or use this to your advantage and start calling people and telling them their bill is late and you will shut off their gas if they don't give you billing information over the phone.

Heh, okay, j/k.
    Well, the problem was occuring in Des Moines, so Qwest *shudder* is who I'd have to call. I did try that a few years back, but they were unwilling/unable to do anything. Interestingly, I have gotten one or two calls on occasion from people who were FURIOUS about their electric bill. They all had my number "written down somewhere" but I'd like to know where they originally got it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't off their caller ID, since I didn't know any of my "customers."

Phones
    vx4500
    v120c (retired!)
    Carrier
    Verizon AC, formerly Freeup
    Feedback Score
    Well maybe try to give it a shot again? Or even call MidAmerican...they might be able to leverage somebody.

Phones
    Motorola DROiD
    LG enV2 VX9100 (Loved it, glitches and all)
    LG VX8100 (Killed the front LCD)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok, here is my 2 cents.... We used to have Sprint PCS and when we called cell to landline, the landline phone would show name and number on the caller ID. Now that we have switched to Verizon Wireless, cell to landline shows unknown name and cell number.

Not sure what this matters....

2/21/10 - Motorola DROiD:

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think you will have to start with Qwest. Tell them to monitor to double check the customer Database, and if that doesn't work you will probably have to make some test calls at some point to work on the problem with both VZW and Qwest.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by aaronhurd
    No, I did not port my number; I've had this number for around five years. Has anyone else on Howard Forums had their name show up on landline Caller-IDs when they're calling from a cell phone?
    In New Jersey, my name has come up on Caller ID since I've had service with VZW. Prior to that, I had Sprint PCS and my name also showed up but when I had Sprint PCS, it was as the cell co's were implemeting call block. So Sprint PCS sent a letter to customers that we could opt of permanent caller ID blocking, which I did. It probably depends on your market area and local BPU rules regarding telco service.

Phones
    LG Voyager
    Motorola Razr Maxx VE
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    All that shows up here in Chattanooga is Chattanooga, TN for the name and it show's the number.