Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: VZN Pay as you Go message "time available for this call..." -- can I disable it?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

    VZN Pay as you Go message "time available for this call..." -- can I disable it?

    Is there a way to disable the message that tells you how much time available for this call right after you dial a number?

    It annoys me and delays every call by 5-10 seconds. With CallPlus, there is an option to disable this message. I'm wondering if there is a way with Verizon.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: VZN Pay as you Go message "time available for this call..." -- can I disable it?

    Originally posted by marciow
    Is there a way to disable the message that tells you how much time available for this call right after you dial a number?
    Sure. Dial *611 and choose the option for personal options. You get a few choice, one of which is not to be bothered.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    506
    Carriers
    Talk For Good
    Truphone personal
    Feedback Score
    0

    Uhhh, NO WAY DUDE

    Originally posted by justDave
    Sure. Dial *611 and choose the option for personal options. You get a few choice, one of which is not to be bothered.
    No such option exists for me when I dial *611. As a matter of fact, I just spoke to a VZW CS rep who told me this is not possible, but they are working on a solution. Sorry.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    89
    Phone
    Kyocera SoHo
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Uhhh, NO WAY DUDE

    Originally posted by boomerang86
    No such option exists for me when I dial *611. As a matter of fact, I just spoke to a VZW CS rep who told me this is not possible, but they are working on a solution. Sorry.
    Perhaps they disabled it? When I was using VZW's prepaid just a couple of months ago, I disabled my "Minute Meter" by dialing *611 and going into the personal options menu. No problem... all automated and I didn't need to speak to a rep.
    Read my all-new blog:
    http://superasianman.typepad.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    Feedback Score
    0
    1. Dial *611
    2. For english press 1
    3. Enter your phone number
    4. To change your account profile press 3
    5. Enter your passcode
    6. To select your messaging level press 2
    7. To hear only warning tones and the balance expiration message press 3

    I just tried it and it's still there for me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    178
    Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8300 (2007-2008)
    Kyocera kx414 (2004-2007)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by justDave
    1. Dial *611
    2. For english press 1
    3. Enter your phone number
    4. To change your account profile press 3
    5. Enter your passcode
    6. To select your messaging level press 2
    7. To hear only warning tones and the balance expiration message press 3

    I just tried it and it's still there for me.
    When FREEUP was still around, there was the option to turn off the "intro message" of how much time is available for this call. superasianguy is correct. When I changed my prepaid plan to the Pay As You Go, CS told me that you can't get the annoying message off.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by berg_man
    When FREEUP was still around, there was the option to turn off the "intro message" of how much time is available for this call. superasianguy is correct. When I changed my prepaid plan to the Pay As You Go, CS told me that you can't get the annoying message off.
    Sorry guys. I didn't realize PAYGo used a different system. I'm curious then, why did you switch from FreeUp to the new system?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    178
    Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    LG VX8300 (2007-2008)
    Kyocera kx414 (2004-2007)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by justDave
    Sorry guys. I didn't realize PAYGo used a different system. I'm curious then, why did you switch from FreeUp to the new system?
    It was mostly because of the rates.

    On Freeup, it was, I believe .30/min .15 Nights and Weekends

    On Pay As You Go, it is .10/min plus a .25 connection fee, anytime.

    The reason why I switched is because it would be cheaper for me in the long run. The calls I make tend to be long. Plus, on Pay As You Go, (Correct me if I'm wrong) they don't charge for checking your voicemail from a landline, and also they don't charge you if someone calls and doesnt leave a message or anything.

    I believe now that Verizon is making everyone switch over to the Pay As You Go rates. I thought I saw a post about that somewhere a few days ago.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by berg_man
    I believe now that Verizon is making everyone switch over to the Pay As You Go rates. I thought I saw a post about that somewhere a few days ago.
    They let me switch to the new rates about a month ago when I called and they didn't mess anything else up. They're supposed to be switching me to the new voicemail system soon - not that I really care. Hope I don't end up listening to balance announcements after that happens :-(

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    89
    Phone
    Kyocera SoHo
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally posted by berg_man
    Plus, on Pay As You Go, (Correct me if I'm wrong) they don't charge for checking your voicemail from a landline, and also they don't charge you if someone calls and doesnt leave a message or anything.
    This is correct. Under the old FREEUP plan, you would get charged minutes for anyone who reached your voicemail, no matter if they left a message or not... and they also charged for you checking your voicemail from a landline. The new PAYG plans eliminated these ridiculous charges -- you only get charged when you check your voicemail from your own cell phone, which is very reasonable... and I also heard that the older FREEUP customers are getting messages that they are being switched over to the newer, cheaper voicemail system as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the option is not available on *611. I should've said that was the first thing I tried.
    If I knew about this before, I wouldn't have gotten this prepaid phone.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    Feedback Score
    0
    marciow, I feel the same way. I have a friend who has had the Verizon prepaid service for about a year, and she has always been able to remove the minutes message. She just switched to the newer Kyocera phone and transferred her account to that one, and still can get rid of the message by dialing *611. Just three days ago, I got the same phone she got under the prepaid plan, and to my surprise, when I dial *611, I get a completely different recording and options. It seems the accounts that were activated during Freeup times are kept on a different database than the newer Pay As You Go ones. Also, I don't know if it has happened to you, but when I dial certain 800 numbers found on the Verizon support website, and they ask to input my mobile number, I get the recording: "Invalid number. Please try again". Again, I'm under the impression of these different databases.
    I too contacted Verizon via *611 and I was told that that message was built into the service. I told the support lady that I had a friend who could disable the message, and I was told that it was probably because she had a postpaid account in the past, and she got a prepaid one later; which is completely inaccurate... honestly, some support people don't know crap about what's going on. Anyway, I thought I would be able to do as my friend did. I was VERY disappointed by this.
    I decided I would give contacting customer support one more try. Just yesterday I sent them quite a lenghthy email concerning this... if and how I disable this annoyance; fit for one of the posts I have been reading on this board, I added "we shan't get into the «get a postpaid plan» issue".
    You know, we should bombard Verizon telling them how this minutes message can get annoying. I mean, if it could be disabled before, why FORCE it on us now??!!! Let's keep the calls and the emails going on this, and hopefully then they'll go back to giving us the choice of hearing or NOT the doggone message.

    Solis
    Last edited by Solis; 01-22-2005 at 11:39 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    Feedback Score
    0
    For what it's worth, the complaint department for Verizon Wireless prepaid is:

    Verizon Wireless
    Attn: Prepaid Cellular Department
    PO Box 6690
    Folsom, CA 95763

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    48
    Feedback Score
    0
    old system allowed it, new doesn't. You'll all be on the new system sooner or later...

Bookmarks