Thread: Need help for choosing new phone

Device(s)
    Samsung ATIV S
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility (2000-current)
    Feedback Score

Need help for choosing new phone

I need some insight on choosing a new phone. I would prefer a CDMA or TDMA phone over the GSM, due to coverage concerns. I would prefer to find a phone that was dual band/dual mode w/analog. Good audio quality and signal strength. It would be great if I got adequate talk/standby times. I would prefer a non-flip phone.

I have seen the Nokia 8260 form Rogers but I find that phone just a little small for my tastes. Seems like I am gearing up for a Nokia 6185 but would like to see some opinions as to which phone is worth considering.

I have seen the phones offered by Telus, and Rogers but I really don't have much info as to which is a top pick out of the bunch. I have visited several sites and they helped me somewhat.
    Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia 7160
    Carrier(s)
    AWS
    Feedback Score

Question Nokia 3360?

Depending on how long you're willing to wait, the 3360/3320 will be out this year, and it'll be similar to the 3390, but will obviously be TDMA/AMPS. The layout of the phone is almost the same, sans Navi-Key, and it should have most of the features that are on it's GSM equivalent, although it's difficult to squeeze details out of Nokia folks sometimes. There is a small mention of the models on Nokia's US website, so it's not a rumour, but perhaps you could inquire if the model will be available in your area, and when.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6820
    Carrier(s)
    Microcell (Fido)
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia 6185/88 is generally regarded as a terrible phone. Very slow user interface, tons of dropped calls and poor overall performance. So, if you want to aggravate yourself, run out and grab one. At least that appears to be the general consensus.

I have one, and I don't really have any problems with it. But, I'm typically in strong areas with lots of RF so maybe that's the difference. Most CDMA providers haven't pushed the phone, which is a shame because Nokia phones carry a lot of marketing clout. Every carrier wants to have a Nokia phone in their portfolio.

I had a 6160 on Rogers for a while too, but my problems weren't with the phone, but with the service. Rogers network isn't that great in my opinion.

If you haven't already, check out Steve Punter's web site (www.arcx.com/sites) for phone reviews. He concentrates heavily on the RF performance of the phone which is really the most important aspect. I'm assuming since you're already here, you've read Howard's reviews.

merliN.

Device(s)
    Ericsson t39m
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I would not spend any money on a TDMA handset. As Rogers is building and launching their GSM network, I doubt that they will put the current level of resources into maintaining their TDMA network.

If you wait for the full launch of Rogers' GSM network, that may address your concern with GSM coverage. I recently switched from Clearnet/Telus to Fido and I haven't had a real problem with coverage. You can, for example, get a GSM/AMPS phone from Fido (after buying an analogue module) that would probably address this as well.

I've used the Samsung and Sanyo models offered by Telus. The Samsung had terrible voice quality but I found the Sanyo to work quite well. I know several people that have the Sanyo phones (newest and older models) and most of them seem quite happy with it.

Nokia CDMA should be better soon as they have licensed the CDMA chipset from Qualcomm and will hopefully stop using their own version. I have not seen any dates for when the new Nokia CDMA phones (based on the Qualcomm chipset) will be available.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kevin.

Device(s)
    Samsung ATIV S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I haven't really had much of a problem with my 6188 except for dropping calls with 2 bars and ringer volume. I absolutely hate the meter signal system used on the 6185/6188.

The only reason I would opt for Rogers is because of their overall coverage across BC and they have the most competitive price plans when compared to Fido and Telus Mobility.

I have considered going to Fido but I still loave the fact that I need an analog module (if supplied to model). As well, I have no interest in using those features that are only available to GSM (text msg, ring tones, etc).

I have been a Clearnet/Telus customer since I first got a cellphone, and have been pretty happy with overall coverage, and even the phones, although the plans are expensive when compared to the competition.

I'll probably have to wait longer to get a new phone; maybe broadening my list in order to have a larger variety of phones to choose from.

Thanks for the input=)

Device(s)
    RIM BlackBerry 8100 (Pearl)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I heard AT&T is going to drop TDMA and implement the GSM partner with Japan's DoCoMo too. It sounds like TDMA is dying.

Device(s)
    Samsung ATIV S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't say TDMA is dying. It's just that the technology available out there is much more capable than TDMA I would suspect that TDMA will still be used for a long time, even if AT&T was to phase the technology out.

Device(s)
    Ericsson t39m
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Of course TDMA will be available and supported. Rogers AT&T won't be able to shut it off over night, but the shift seems to be towards either CDMA or GSM, so I don't expect to see a lot of development occur on the TDMA networks. I'm referring to general, long-term trends so a short-term phone purchaser may not have to worry about this...

Regards,

Kevin.