Thread: New T-Mobile Upgrade Policy? No Longer "New Customer" Pricing?

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

New T-Mobile Upgrade Policy? No Longer "New Customer" Pricing?

ok - so i just called tmo up to find out about the upgrade prices on a few handsets - primarily the tm150 because its listed as "free after instant rebate" on the tmo website...

anyway - last year, i got a few e315's for about $35/each because they advertised the "same as a new customer" price policy for upgrades...

i wanted to see what the current upgrade policy was (my gf wants to get a tm150 for herself and shes just out of contract this month)

i was told that the discounted "upgrade" price for her would be $219 - i asked the csr about the old pricing and she had no idea what i was talking about - she said that the pricing just depended on the handset and whether or not we were out of contract

anyone else have any news about this? is the "same as new customer" pricing policy over now? when did that happen and whats the deal now?
    the bloggy blog blog blog...

Speedtest Wave Anyone?

common sense...not so common...
    ----

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I called last week as I am eligible for the full upgrade amount. I was looking to pick up a flip phone and was looking at the Siemens CF62T. I thought I would get it free like the website pricing. Nope. They told me I am eligible for what it costs in the store. I think they said $49.99 and a $30 rebate.

I didn't think it worked this way.
    Last edited by mpallo; 02-22-2005 at 06:27 PM.

Phone
    7105t
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here's the way that upgrade pricing works:

You have to be on a plan 39.99 a month for individual lines or 69.99 per month for family plans for at least 11 months.

You only receive new customer pricing once every eleven months. The pricing for handsets is new customer pricing in store, it has nothing to do with the pricing on T-Mobile.com. In some instances the in store upgrade prices are better than new customer as in the case of the TM150 Which is 199.99 - $50 MIR in store. Upgrade customers price is 199.99-$100 MIR.

If you were quoted a price of 219.99 for the TM150 it would be because either she upgraded her phone within the last 11 months or she is not on a qualifying rate plan

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Insert in bill says....

I just got my bill today. An insert in the bill says:

Any Phone, Every 12--Get the phone you really want.

At T-Mobile, eligible customers can upgrade to some of the newest, hottest phones available each and every year,plus get a great discount! You can shoose from all kinds of feature loaded options, including camera and clor flip phones.

How do I upgrade? Just extend your contract for at least one year and you can upgrade to the coolest phones around--whenever you want.

Am I eligible for the lowest upgrade price? You qualify for the lowest available upgrade price if you haven't upgraded or bought a new phone within the last 11 months, and you have 11 or more total months on a qualifying rate plan.
    - Single-Line plans with a monthly access fee of $39.99 or higher.
    - Family Time plans iwth a monthly access fee of $69.99 or higher.

What if I'm not eligible for the lowest upgrade price? Of course you can still upgrade to a great new phone. You simply pay T-Mobile's upgrade price, plus $20.

Visit a T-Mobile-owned retail store or call 611 from your T-Mobile phone for more information.

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by quik94
    You only receive new customer pricing once every eleven months.
    the whole thing is that they no longer do the "new customer pricing" at all - im just curious as to what the discount is

i know that back in the day of "blue" customers - your upgrade credit just kept adding up until you used it...now it seems like there are only 2 prices - the "best" price - for those eligible for upgrades - and then $20 more, for those that are not...

EDIT - basically, everyone gets a pretty crummy price - you actually only save $20 if youve waited the 11 months - because anyone can get a new phone for the "upgrade price" + $20...

then again - im not sure if there is a difference between "t-mobile's upgrade price" and the "best upgrade price"

Phones
    iPhone
    other phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Kricket

EDIT - basically, everyone gets a pretty crummy price - you actually only save $20 if youve waited the 11 months - because anyone can get a new phone for the "upgrade price" + $20...

then again - im not sure if there is a difference between "t-mobile's upgrade price" and the "best upgrade price"

i think it's referring to not qualifying if you aren't on the right rate plan for the $20 extra thing.

from my experience, the longer its been since your last upgrade, the less it is to upgrade, but once it has been 11 months since your last upgrade, the price doesn't get any lower.

Phones
    BB Bold 9780
    BB Bold 9700
    BB Curve 8900
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US - myFaves
    Feedback Score
    kricket I noticed the samething on pricing. The bottom line is that T-Mobile does not value loyalty. In so many ways they are encouraging (false) churn. Hey Mike Butler, the message is loud n' clear: "If you want the best pricing, you need to open up a new account". We got it and some will defect and/or contribute to false churn figures.

Phone
    Moto Cliq
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Kricket
    the whole thing is that they no longer do the "new customer pricing" at all - im just curious as to what the discount is
    There is no set discount price across the phone line. As noted above, a bunch of phones are the same as new, some are higher for upgrade prices, a few are lower. The e715 is $50 lower for upgrades IIRC. Upgrade rebates and pricing are separate columns on the sheet from the new customer pricing.

I think the difference in the TM upgrade price and the "best" price also has to do with rebates. For example, if a phone is $199, and there is a $50 upgrade rebate, the "best" price is $149. I think the TM upgrade price doesn't include the rebate, so you have to add $20 and no rebate = $219. But I could be wrong

Phone
    Nokia 8890
    Carrier
    Vzw
    Feedback Score
    Is this
    going to cost me $0 if I extend my contract & am eligible?
    for Young Investors, Businessmen and Entrepreneurs www.younginvestors.net

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by THESANTINI
    Is this
    No. Whatever the T-Mobile retail store pricing is and any available rebates. I am not sure what that phone is going for. Call 611 and they will tell you.

Phones
    Primary: Nokia 5300 XpressMusic / Blackberry 8100 Pearl / T-Mobile MDA
    Backups: Moto SLVR L7 / Nokia 7610
    Retired: Nokia 3595 / N-Gage QD / 6600 / SE T300 / Moto V300 / RAZR V3 / Samsung Q105 / Sidekick II
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by THESANTINI
    Is this
    Assuming that you qualify for the full discount amount, your upgrade price for the Moto V180 would be $49.99.

Phone
    T-Mobile MDA
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You're better off going to a store and making a deal with the sales people there.