Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Network Info > Set Mode > Home, Automatic A, Automatic B

Phone
    Motorola v710
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Network Info > Set Mode > Home, Automatic A, Automatic B

I have the Motorola V710 with Verizon and I'm from southwestern CT. The other day when I was going into New York City, I saw that I lost service. Low and behold, it was because my phone was on "Home Only" so I switched it to "Automatic A" and everything seemed fine and dandy.

Now my question is, what exactly does Home Only, Automatic A, and Automatic B stand for? Which one is the best for reception? I tried to look through the manual to no avail. Help!

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Droid
    Palm Treo 650
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    its sposed to be set to automatic b

Phone
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In NC it should be on Auto A. Maybe it is different for different areas.

Ryan

Phone
    ST iPhone 5 ATT ST BYOP SIM
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    It is. Could someone please explain this for the masses?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It tells the phone where to look for service when there's nothing in the PRL available. Note that if you're ever in an area where it matters, you'll get charged roaming...

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Funny you should say that I have a V710 and was in the city the other day. The only thing wierd I noticed is that when the train was moving I roamed for a couple of seconds then back but in gran central waiting for the train to leave I had a full analog signal but was roaming and did not stop roaming till we reached the surface. My Nextel had no service(big ****ing surprise). At least if I was roaming I could still make a receive calls. Thats why Im staying with my plan and not switching to the no roam plan. I'd rather be roaming then have no freakin service

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by markie11
    It tells the phone where to look for service when there's nothing in the PRL available. Note that if you're ever in an area where it matters, you'll get charged roaming...
    Not if I'm on AC II though.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dequardo
    Not if I'm on AC II though.
    Yeah, you'll just have NO SERVICE!

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    Understood.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Network Info > Set Mode > Home, Automatic A, Automatic B

Originally posted by Comp625
    I have the Motorola V710 with Verizon and I'm from southwestern CT. The other day when I was going into New York City, I saw that I lost service. Low and behold, it was because my phone was on "Home Only" so I switched it to "Automatic A" and everything seemed fine and dandy.

Now my question is, what exactly does Home Only, Automatic A, and Automatic B stand for? Which one is the best for reception? I tried to look through the manual to no avail. Help!

For the most part, it doesn't really matter if you have it on Auto A or B, as the PRL dictates the signal the phone is going to look for. There are exceptions to the rule when there is no sytem thats in the PRL to be found but that is not very common.

You don't want to have it on "Home Only" as it tells the phone not to work out of your home area. Your home area will vary depending on what type of plan you have. On some older plans it would not let the phone work if you left the area code your MTN was based in. For most phones on the AC plans, it will limit your phone to using only Verizon owned systems, so you are keeping your phone from using any of the Extended Network partners.

KC

Phones
    LG DARE
    Thunderbolt
    DARE
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    To answer the question:
    Auto "A" & Auto "B" are the phone's "Last resort" to check when they can't find a cellular system to lock onto from the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) that is in the phone.
    A & B refer to the 2 800Mhz cell systems that can be in a given area.
    In NYC, Verizon uses the "B" system, however "B" is already in the PRL, so if you lose service & are set to Auto-B, it won't make any difference.
    If you were set to Auto-A, the fone would still find "b" first, because it is in the PRL, That is why you were fine on your trip.
    If you lost VZW signal completely, the phone set to Auto "A" would land on the "A" system in NYC ( ATT/Cing Analog), or nothing if you have a digital only fone (because there are no other roam or Extended Partners in the PRL for NY/NNJ area).
    I don't believe the ATT system would accept a normal "roam" call from a VZW fone, however, so you would need a credit card.....

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by MeatChicken
    I don't believe the ATT system would accept a normal "roam" call from a VZW fone, however, so you would need a credit card.....
    Not so. AT&T (now Cingular blue) and VZW have had a roaming agreement forever and there are quite a few AT&T systems in the PRL, many of them free of charge.

Phones
    LG DARE
    Thunderbolt
    DARE
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by XFF
    Not so. AT&T (now Cingular blue) and VZW have had a roaming agreement forever and there are quite a few AT&T systems in the PRL, many of them free of charge.
    I'm aware of ATT/CIng in the PRL in "Other" areas.
    I was referring specifcally about the NYC ATT system.
    I don't believe that system will allow a VZW phone to simply "place a call", & later get a roaming charge on your bill, you would need to pay for the call with a credit card.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    On the AC 2 coverage if you go into a area where there is no service is there a way to change a setting in the phone so you can make a call in a emergency situation.

Phone
    Motorola V9m
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by tim33
    On the AC 2 coverage if you go into a area where there is no service is there a way to change a setting in the phone so you can make a call in a emergency situation.
    Yes. Even if you have no service, if your phone can pick up a carrier's system, regardless of VZN's status with them, you can make a 911 call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast