Nokia 6620
    GC82 Aircard
    Motorola V551
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Cool Cingular Wireless Internet - isp.cingular vs. wap.cingular

Does anyone know the actual difference between wap.cingular and isp.cingular?

From my understanding, these are two different data paths. wap.cingular is supposed to be used from the phone for MEdia Packages, and isp.cingular is what you are supposed to use for the higher rate plans that allow you to use the service with your laptop.

In reality, you can use both wap.cingular and isp.cingular with your laptop. It's just a matter of changing the default settings.

Is isp.cingular faster then wap.cingular? I hit 10kilobytes/sec. In my home area using wap.cingular.

If you have the MEdia Package, are you only supposed to use with wap.cingular? Will you be charged per usage for using isp.cingular?

To sum up -- are these two options here the exact same thing but they have two different ones for billing? WHATS THE DIFFERENCE? :-|
    I love my phone.

Phones
    Treo 680 (Copper) - Until GSM PALM PRE+
    Treo 650
    6230b (Retired: One of the best)
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If you are on Media Works $24.99 and below YOU should be using wap.cingular...

I've heard that isp.cingular allows some compression scheme, it would speed net access, etc...

BUT from all the advise on tethering EVERYONE says to steer clear from isp.cingular (unless you are paying for it) because it would be a CLEARer sign to Cingular that you are tethering.

SOMEONE around here can provide the nitty gritty details I am sure...
    (o)~(O)
    -=-=-=-
    Sadly I left palm; user since Robotics Palm Pilot; left att (glad of that though);
    THE USA is just not GSM/UNLOCKED phone friendly (sorry, never tried T-Mobile).
    I await a flagship WebOS phone... in the meanwhile...

noncents.net
    ipgeek21.com
    Godfather to an Angel
    Godfathered by an Angel
    seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Cingular Wireless Internet - isp.cingular vs. wap.cingular

Originally posted by op13
    To sum up -- are these two options here the exact same thing but they have two different ones for billing? WHATS THE DIFFERENCE? :-|
    It appears that is the case. Most customers do not know, so when they tether, the Cingular software you install on your computer automatically connects to isp.cingular, so they get charged for the extra data. And some of the PDA phones are also set to isp.cingular. But the regular smartphones like the Nokia 6620 are set to wap.cingular.

They could do something like T-Mobile does with t-zones which is to block ports on wap.cingular, but then you would be unable to use features such as the streaming video they advertise with the Nokia 6620. Also, most of the AIM programs on the regular phones use data instead of SMS to communicate, so that would be a problem as well. (T-Mobile AIM uses text messages) And I doubt anyone is going to pay $80/month for unlimited data on a Nokia series-60 phone. So they are left with leaving both access points the same and fooling 90% of the people while the other 10% of the people can abuse the system.

Phones
    iPhone 3G (White 16gb)
    Sprint MiFi 2200 Mobile Hotspot
    Alltel KPC680
    Carriers
    At&t
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    what are the isp.cingular settings.. i have a data only plan on my sx66 and i wanna try it to see if theres a speed difference.

I have the 49.99 pda/blackberry plan with unlimited everything sms mms internet

Phone
    Sprint Evo, IP4
    Carriers
    Sprint-Nextel
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    hmmm i dont know how you guys live on with fear of tethering your laptops and pda to your mobile phone..but i finnally gave up on that last week and signed up for the unlimited data connect plan..i feel safe that i can tether all i want without being charged over..wap.cingular is good to tether for now..but how long do you think they will allow this?..lol .eventually some people will convert to the unlimited data connect plans..depending on how much money they are willing to shell out each month. my assumption is that why risk using wap.cingular to tether and risk getting charged over 80.00 in data fees? while you can just pay 76.00 a month for unlimited and feel a the relief ..however i wish all those tethring to wap.cingular good luck and dont be a heavy data user..lol

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    previous: Treo 650
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, let's see.... I've been tethering every month for 8 months now for $19.99/mo. so, compared to your $76/mo plan, I save $56/mo. so... basically I've paid $448 less than you (and counting) because you're afraid you MIGHT get charged some day if Cigular decides to charge for tethering.

By the way, they can't tell if you tether, or use the phone or whatever... and in any case, there's no where in the TOS that says you can't tether. It's just not SUPPORTED, which means they won't help you do it.

Carriers
    AT%T
    Feedback Score
    The only real difference I have been able to determine is:

isp.cingular - routable IP address
    wap.cingular - Nat IP address

Speeds seem about the same.

Phone
    Sprint Evo, IP4
    Carriers
    Sprint-Nextel
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Steve28
    By the way, they can't tell if you tether, or use the phone or whatever... and in any case, there's no where in the TOS that says you can't tether. It's just not SUPPORTED, which means they won't help you do it.

Thats just hilarious how people think cingular cant tell the diffrence. heres an example..imagine someone with a Motorola V551 who is tethering with his laptop..and gets about a 100 to 200 mbs of data used per month. cingular knows that thier is no way someone can use that much data with a Motorola V551 alone..unless that person uses its wap browser 24/7 non-stop .. if cingular couldnt tell the diffrence..then i why didnt cingular allows new customers buying a pda type phone sign up for media works? its because they know pda type phones use up alot of data and they would not be able to tell if it was the phone using up that much data or the user tethering thier laptop..lol..trust me enjoy wap.cingular tethering now..but like they say all good things must come to and end at sometime.. i wish you luck.however on the other hand i do believe someone could not get caught tethering if they do"light" data usage and not use thier phone as thier primary isp.

o yea op13 thier is somewhat of a diffrence with isp.cingular and wap.cingular and i would say its the speeds

isp.cingular uses data acceleration i believe..im not sure if wap.cingular does and they both have diffrent login names

ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM -ISP.CINGULAR

WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM- WAP.CINGULAR

i get highers speeds with with isp.cingular..but wap.cingular is pretty fast sometimes.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3G
    Samsung Epix
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by tafische
    The only real difference I have been able to determine is:

isp.cingular - routable IP address
    wap.cingular - Nat IP address

Speeds seem about the same.
    Some test early on last year showd a bit of compression with isp.cingular. And I am pretty sure phones are setup with the wap.cingular APN so that would be the one to use to avoid any confusion in the system.

As for those fearing 'tethering charges' (not sure I have ever heard or seen this on a bill to date) - about the only reason they fear it is there seems to be a lot of trolls running around saying the sky is falling if they tether on an unlimited WIX plan.

The simple truth is that unlimited WIX is treated just the same as data connect in cingular's terms and conditions. You want a routable IP address and any benefits that come with it? Then pay for the data connect which is $80.00 and is a separate line of service. In fact - you don't even need a voice line to get data connect as it's designed as a stand alone service and not an add on to an existing voice plan. At one time Cingular offerd this as an add-on to voice for $75.00 but that was pretty much taken off when they started offering media packages with unlimited WIX.

Tether to your heart's content - just be sure to use the correct APN (wap.cingular).

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3G
    Samsung Epix
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Cuba
    Thats just hilarious how people think cingular cant tell the diffrence. heres an example..imagine someone with a Motorola V551 who is tethering with his laptop..and gets about a 100 to 200 mbs of data used per month. cingular knows that thier is no way someone can use that much data with a Motorola V551 alone..unless that person uses its wap browser 24/7 non-stop .. if cingular couldnt tell the diffrence..then i why didnt cingular allows new customers buying a pda type phone sign up for media works? its because they know pda type phones use up alot of data and they would not be able to tell if it was the phone using up that much data or the user tethering thier laptop..lol..trust me enjoy wap.cingular tethering now..but like they say all good things must come to and end at sometime.. i wish you luck.however on the other hand i do believe someone could not get caught tethering if they do"light" data usage and not use thier phone as thier primary isp.

Tell me how using MobiTV at several hundred megs a month is any different than someone using a PDA or notebook and several hundred megs a month? Except the notebook or PDA user would typically not be streaming data for long periods.

Just curious why the big deal? Why do some people obviously have problems with other people tethering a plan when it is not precluded?

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4; iPhone 3GS; iPhone 3G; iPhone; Treo 750; Treo 680
    Nokia 8801; QTek 9100; Nokia 6682; PalmOne Treo 650; Nokia 6230b
    Carriers
    ATTWS (Current)
    ATTWS TDMA (1ST)
    Feedback Score
    I have the unlimited WIX on my n6230b right now, but just ordered a Treo650. In my case, will I still be able to use the WIX or will they make me upgrade to a data plan? I bought the treo650 directly from PalmOne if that makes a difference.
    Highest score on Snake 1 on my Nokia 8290: 1737

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by FESCSteve
    Tell me how using MobiTV at several hundred megs a month is any different than someone using a PDA or notebook and several hundred megs a month? Except the notebook or PDA user would typically not be streaming data for long periods.

Just curious why the big deal? Why do some people obviously have problems with other people tethering a plan when it is not precluded?
    The issue is not whether it "makes sense" or if it is a "big deal", etc. The first question is CAN CINGULAR TELL, ie is there a reliable way that Cingular can detect the difference. I believe the answer is clearly yes. If nothing else, there are definite heuristics that could be applied that would be accurate at least 99.9% of the time.

In your example, several hundred megs of streaming video is definitely distinguishable from several hundred megs of typical laptop data: 1) the data is different, 2) the ports usages are different, 3) the burstiness of the usage is different, 4) the range of IP addresses used are different, etc. It would be a trivial exercise to develop a series of rules that would distinguish laptop usage from phone usage.

Given that, the 2nd question is, does Cingular care ? Well that's up to them. If they feel the market will bear seemingly artificial distinctions between data bandwidth going into laptops and a similar bandwidth going into phones, that's their prerogative. Certainly other carriers are making that distinction and charging wildly differing rates for laptop vs phone data usage even though us consumers don't think it is justified.

So the point is 1) Cingular can easily tell the difference between laptop (tethered) data usage and phone usage, if they really wanted to, 2) Cingular *could* then charge accordingly, whether it makes sense to consumers or not.

Phone
    LG eXpo
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have a nokia 6230b and go online on sites, not just media quite often, I dl huge gobs of data onto my memory cards quite often. I also have a Mot A925 and download very little but go online with it more often, where would they be able to tell the difference? I have them both using wap and the A925 quite obviously should be using isp.

Feedback Score
    I find the constant NAT ip pretty annoying via wap.* - the only reason I'd fork out 60$ more per month is to have a reachable ip addy.

Phones
    FUZE
    Formerly 8525, 6682, 3600, 3650, 6340i, 3360
    OnStar (WORST voice recognition!)
    Carriers
    Cingular/AT&T (and formerly Cell One) since 1990.
    Feedback Score
    FWIW when I changed from a GAIT plan to GSM and they sent settings OTA, the settings they sent me were for isp and that's what I've been using ever since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast