Device(s)
    3GS iPhone. Gone: 2G iPhone; 3G iPhone; Curve (2X); Dash (2X);
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile and ATT (dialtone)
    Feedback Score
    If T-Mo were smart they'd swallow the bitter pill:

- offer all Sidekick customers a Blackberry or Android phone, free;

- give every Sidekick customer six months of free service; and

- drop the Sidekick entirely from inventory while maintaining existing customers who wish to stay on the Sidekick (and who also get a big $$ compensation against their bill).

Yeah I know. People love the Sidekick and won't switch to a BB or Android phone. But a massive admission of a giant failure (with no PR wishy-washy mumbo jumbo as is evident in the press releases I have read) with tangible, serious $$ amends made to customers? I think that would make a real difference to T-Mobile's reputation.

(True confessions: I'm a long-time T-Mobile customer, but not a Sidekick user).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wifiwizeguy
    As for backup this is a sidekick service I shouldn't have to backup my information.
    Then let this experience be a lesson to you that this line of reasoning is dead wrong. No matter who provides what service, you must NEVER assume your data is safe in the hands of a third party's servers. A backup is always necessary. Doesn't matter if it's Microsoft, Google, RIM, Apple, IBM, or some mom & pop service. The safety of your data is only as good as your backup.

I've never used a sidekick, but if it's really true that there was no way at all to export sidekick data (contacts, photos, calendars, etc.) onto some other platform to back it up, then okay, Danger and Microsoft must shoulder much more blame than I would otherwise think. But at the same time, I definitely wouldn't trust that platform to keep anything I think is important. No way to back up? Then the data isn't safe. This past week proved that a little too well.

I use a "cloud-based" sync service too, but only for the convenience of keeping my computers and cell phone in sync. If it goes away, I still have one locally stored copy on each of the computers I sync with (3), plus my phone. It's also periodically, and manually, synced to a different service I have access to. And even then, all of that is still backed up and archived to an external hard drive. Sound excessive? Maybe. But I haven't lost a single bit of data yet. Storage is cheap. And modern software makes all of that dead easy now.

This isn't to say Danger/Microsoft/T-mobile have zero fault for your data loss, but the way I see it, the data you have is only as valuable as what you spent to back it up. If you spent $0, then I guess the data must not have had that much value. On the other hand, a mere $20.00 plus shipping could've been used to keep all your sidekick data - and then some - plenty safe.

If, however, this mishap really cost you as much as you say it did, then while feel for your loss, I do hope this expensive lesson was an effective one, and that whatever cloud sync you use with your next smartphone, you back the data up somehow, and don't trust "the cloud" to keep your stuff safe.

Left: iPhone 6+ on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T ( GoPhone )
    Feedback Score
    As for contract provisions I would go further. This is not an "outage" per-se as this is not some act of god that knocked out service; the service is down and broken because of the malfeasance and neglect of t-mobile's exclusive partner MS/Danger. If t-mobile did not have SLA's and agreements to cover their losses from this kind of neglect then they are fools because they have been left wide open for a lawsuit. They have breached their own contract with tens or hundreds of thousands of users ( loss of services, warranty of merchantability for stated purpose, ... ) and it will cost them big in court.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T ( GoPhone )
    Feedback Score
    Here is some ( possibly ) inside data.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/10/t...ents/22246699/

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Reading this thread has reminded me of why I left the Sidekick platform for the BlackBerry and haven't looked back. With the BlackBerry, if you lose service for 2-3 HOURS, people complain. Let it be out for 4-6 hours, and it gets reported on the NIGHTLY WORLD NEWS as a sure sign of the coming of the Apocalypse!

But with the Sidekick, losing data service for a whole DAY OR 2 is par for the course. When I first had my Color Sidekick, I'll say I had a good 80-90% uptime, and that was mostly due to T-Mobile's spotty coverage in my area combined with the notoriously weak radio the early Sidekicks had.

By the time I ditched the device about a year and a half later to go to a BlackBerry on Nextel, I was LUCKY if my Sidekick's data functioned 50% of the time. I was losing signal/service ALL THE TIME. It had to go.

And then just a few months later, the infamous 2005 outage happened. Service was down for A WEEK.

Rest assured, that crap would NEVER happen with a BlackBerry. NEVER! The longest outage I've experienced was still only about half a working day long in terms of the number of hours. MAYBE 6-8 hours at most. Service went out early in the morning, was back up by lunchtime here on the East Coast. And unlike the Sidekick, the BlackBerry comes with the option to backup and sync your data to your PC RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. With the Sidekick, you have to PAY EXTRA to get Intellisync, so you can sync your data to your PC, a step most Sidekick users never take.

I know Sidekick users like their device because it's marketed to teens and 20-somethings, and they believe it's "cooler" than a BlackBerry. But there's a reason BlackBerry is still THE BEST: Its primary, core user base is BUSINESS users, who DEMAND rock-solid reliability and uptime that's as close to 100% as is technologically possible! AND they can back-up their data on their own computers, so they can make sure it doesn't get lost or deleted with no way to retrieve it. The BlackBerries also offer functions you'll never see on the Sidekick, such as being able to use your phone as a tethered modem!

Even though my "CrackBerry" is my personal phone, and I rarely use it for actual business uses, I still demand the rock-solid reliability and 99%+ uptime that the BlackBerry is famous for, especially after my experiences with the Sidekick. Do yourselves a favor and leave Danger/Microsoft's platform behind, and switch to BlackBerries. You'll be a LOT happier!

Yes, the BlackBerries aren't as "idiot proofed" as the Sidekicks are. Yes, you WILL have to be a bit more computer savvy to use one. Yes, you WILL have to learn how to do some things, such as OS upgrades, for YOURSELF, when you're used to the Sidekick doing them FOR you. But once you've used THE BEST, you'll forget about the rest.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is waiving the ETF for any Sidekick user who wants to leave. I called CC to verify and to notate my account. I'm going back to Verizon. This left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dethl
    T-Mobile is waiving the ETF for any Sidekick user who wants to leave. I called CC to verify and to notate my account. I'm going back to Verizon. This left a really bad taste in my mouth.
    Have you considered staying with T-Mobile and just switching to a more reliable smartphone, such as a BlackBerry?

This problem was NOT T-Mobile's fault. The blame falls squarely on Danger and/or Microsoft. T-Mobile had no more control over it than you did.

Also, once T-Mobile unleashes this big, mysterious "Project Black/Dark" thing in a couple weeks, they just might give you a very compelling reason to stay with them, if the info The Boy Genius Report has been given turns out to be accurate!

Device(s)
    HTC HD7, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just received this text message from T-Mobile:
    "FREE T-MO MSG: Please log in to www.myt-mobile.com and click on "Restore Your Contacts" and follow the steps to recover your Sidekick Contacts."

I am in the late-night-studio-session right now and there is no internet here. I'll let ya'll know in like 2 hours if this is legit...
    *crosses fingers 3 times*

Device(s)
    HTC HD7, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I got 421 contacts back of about 530... had to download a file and use the interface on myt-mobile.com to restore the contacts while having my kick connected via usb. Took about 2-3 minutes for the entire process. I guess this is a relitively positive outcome of a negative situation and I'm satisfied w/ the 80% of contacts I was able to get back. I had a lot of stuff in my notes tho, hopefully those are next...

Device(s)
    HTC HD7, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    If T-Mo were smart they'd swallow the bitter pill:

- offer all Sidekick customers a Blackberry or Android phone, free;

- give every Sidekick customer six months of free service;

Never ever-ever will happen.
    Free phone and 6 months of free service???
    I would sign a 5 year contract if they did anything like that, which prolly doesn't matter since I've been w/ T-mobile technically since Ariel...

Device(s)
    Samsung A867
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaBlack
    I got 421 contacts back of about 530... had to download a file and use the interface on myt-mobile.com to restore the contacts while having my kick connected via usb. Took about 2-3 minutes for the entire process. I guess this is a relitively positive outcome of a negative situation and I'm satisfied w/ the 80% of contacts I was able to get back. I had a lot of stuff in my notes tho, hopefully those are next...
    Where are you located? Im in newYork area never received this message to recover lost contacts.
    Be thankful were not getting all the government were paying for.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by boston49
    Where are you located? Im in newYork area never received this message to recover lost contacts.
    You have to use a REAL computer to go to t-mobile.com and then log into your account. Once you've logged in and are at the My T-Mobile screen, the options will be there as long as you've indicated that you're using a Sidekick as your phone.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Sidekick LX 09 (Carbon)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA/Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I didn't receive the text either but I was abole to recover some of the contacts. Logging into my.t-mobile.com should give you the option to restore your contacts. If you don't see it, make sure it correctly lists the device you are using. Then the option should appear once the main page refreshes. I lost about 25% of my contacts. ): It's definitely annoying when the contact shows as there but there is no data under that persons name anymore.
    rHG3|

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7