Thread: New sim card to reactivate Tracfone?

Feedback Score

New sim card to reactivate Tracfone?

Since Tracfone is moving their lineup towards GSM phones they now of course rely on using a sim card. For every other GSM carrier if your account is inactive for a while you basically have to get a new sim card to reactivate service. Is this true for Tracfone? One of the nice things about their CDMA/TDMA phones is that you can have one sitting around inactive for a year and still be able to reactivate it. The need to get a new sim card would certainly be annoying.

Feedback Score
    *bump* Anybody know the answer?

Feedback Score
    Tracfone ties their phones with the SIM card. So you wold not be able to use the SIM card on a different phone. The same is true for the SIM card also. I tried using the sim card on an unlocked phone, but it doesnt register to the network.

Feedback Score
    I already know you can't change phones. What I'm asking is when the account expires, do you need a new sim card (and possibly a new phone) to reactivate service? I'm curious because other service providers usually burn the sim card so they can't be reused after the accounts expire.

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by utopium
    I already know you can't change phones. What I'm asking is when the account expires, do you need a new sim card (and possibly a new phone) to reactivate service? I'm curious because other service providers usually burn the sim card so they can't be reused after the accounts expire.
    Simply purchase a new airtime card and reactivate the phone via TracFone's web site. You will need the IMEI number of the phone and possibly the SIM card number, in order to reactivate. During the reactivation process, you will receive a new phone number.