Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 64k vs 32k sim cards

Device(s)
    BB Curve Tethered
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score

Question 64k vs 32k sim cards

I have a 32k sim card att, does the 64k cingular sim card alow better signal on the same phone? Motorala v180, I get mostly 1-2 bars in my area.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    No, the SIM does not give a better signal.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    BB Curve Tethered
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    just what I thought, My father lives in zip code 73546. cingular told him thew sim "ATT" couldnt recognize his zip code, so he would have to change over to get "better reception" even though the cell tower is about 5 miles from his house (sounds like a B.S. marketing sceem to me) to get you to extend your contract, I got his old v180 phone (if you call 6 months old) and he got a new one with a cingular sim. and he got another 2 years with the $29.00 plan. 29.00x24 months=696.00 with tax and fees. Its almost like being married again another ball and chain for a retired old man.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    The correct answer is: it depends.

64K SIMs do not improve your signal strength directly. However, if your problem is that Cingular has better signal than AT&T or viceversa in your area, then switching to a 64K SIM will allow Cingular to tell your phone which of the two networks it should prefer. As a result, your phone can be put on the strongest of the two networks, therefore giving your phone better signal.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Device(s)
    V3 Razor -Silver
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I'm still confused with 64kb/ENS stuff but just to clarify.
    Now that the new Cingular uses both
    original Cingular towers and ATT towers,
    the new 64 sim (with ENS-enabled phone)
    will allow your phone to 'lock' onto the best single.
    What happens after existing Cingualr towers
    and ATT towers have the same ID?
    What use will the 64kb sims be other rthan providing more memory for contacts, etc....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by jyalexop2003
    What happens after existing Cingualr towers and ATT towers have the same ID?
    Nothing, as it will still find the nearest MNC and register with the network regardless if it can't find the 310-38 AT&T MNC.

What use will the 64kb sims be other rthan providing more memory for contacts, etc....
    The 64K SIM does not have more contact space, it still has the same 250 contacts as the 32K SIM cards. The only slots it has more of is for the MNC slots which is about 80 or so vice the 33 or so that the 32K was limited to.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I have a problem and i want to know if it's simcard related. I dont know whether i have a 32k or 64k simcard, but its a cingular one. Anyways, I tried upgrading from an a55 to an t637, for some reason my contacts won't go over. It has an option to copy from SIM, but it says list empty, However, when i go back to the a55 i still have all my contacts. What's weird tho is that hte contacts from the previous owner of the 637 are still there.. are hte contacts on saved on the phone or on the sim? Sorry new to cingular. Also, if it's not, is there a way to transfer all my contacts from the older phoen to the new one? Thank you

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like your contacts are saved on the Seimens phone and not the Cingular SIM. So you would have to move or copy the contacts onto the SIM to transfer them over to the T637.

As for the used T637, the previous owner may have it so that the phone memory only is being used/displayed vice SIM and Phone memory. Go through the options and there should be a Delete All which will let you delete all the previous owners contacts from the phone memory.

Once you get the above done, you can put your SIM with the contacts saved on the SIM and move or copy all to the phone memory. That is what I did by using my old SIM to get my contacts onto my SE T637 and Nokia 6230b.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Mango808
    [B]Nothing, as it will still find the nearest MNC and register with the network regardless if it can't find the 310-38 AT&T MNC.

The 64K SIM does not have more contact space, it still has the same 250 contacts as the 32K SIM cards. The only slots it has more of is for the MNC slots which is about 80 or so vice the 33 or so that the 32K was limited to.
    What are MNC slots? I have a 32k card (I think, it just says Cingular on it) and the only prob I have is that it gets filled up with texts messages quickly, and can only save one number to each name. Can the new card save multiple numbers to a name like the phone memory?

One more question, I have a Nokia 6230b, will getting a 64k card benefit me in any way?
    Last edited by Esc; 04-12-2005 at 08:03 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Esc
    What are MNC slots?
    MNC's are "network identifiers", where a 32k SIM card could only hold the "network identifiers" for about 33 networks, the 64K SIMS can hold 80 "network identifiers" (i believe that's what Mango808 stated)

what does this mean to you? That your SIM can use more networks that it could before. However you will most likely only notice this if you leave the United States.

Not sure about the rest of your questions except that if you are having reception trouble, call into 866-CINGULA and let them know, they may advise a 64K sim if your situation needs it, but otherwise don't worry about it
    -kilo <<I used to work as a Customer Service Representative and then as a Tier II Technical Support Representative for Cingular Wireless LLC most of my info you can associate with TX OK AR KS MO>>

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by kilo
    what does this mean to you? That your SIM can use more networks that it could before.....
    Are you sure about that? A MNC doesn't need to be in the SIM card for your phone to be able to use it. The MNC list only arranges the order of preference in which the phone will do its selection. It just gives Cingular more control over which carrier your phone will prefer.

There are much more than 80 MNCs in the world, and I am sure the vast majority on them won't fit in a 64K SIM card. However, you can roam in most of them when you travel overseas.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by bobolito
    Are you sure about that? A MNC doesn't need to be in the SIM card for your phone to be able to use it. The MNC list only arranges the order of preference in which the phone will do its selection. It just gives Cingular more control over which carrier your phone will prefer.

There are much more than 80 MNCs in the world, and I am sure the vast majority on them won't fit in a 64K SIM card. However, you can roam in most of them when you travel overseas.
    i stand corrected, i had thought (I'm not sure from where) that your SIM did have to have the MNC in order for you to roam on it.

Perhaps I was equating "the Cingular MNC has to be loaded in their network for Cingular to roam on it" with "our SIMS have to have their MNC's"

I do remember being told that since Cingular had 3 MNC's, not all international providers had our MNC's loaded in their systems so Cingular SIMS would be worthless in some countries and that was why we sold unlocked world phones for a time there.
    Last edited by kilo; 04-12-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    i do remember being told that since Cingular had 3 MNC's, not all international providers had our MNC's loaded in their systems so Cingular SIMS would be worthless in some countries and that was why we sold unlocked world phones for a time there.
    Well for a time, it was known that Cingular users from the PacBell markets using the 310-17 MNC SIM cards had more available international roaming offered to them.

I believe the Cingular users from the BellSouth Mobility DCS market of NC/SC may have had the same available international roaming as well since they too were original GSM from the known start.

Now with the acquisition of AT&T Wireless, they should also be gaining more roaming partners if AT&T Wireless had different partners than Cingular did.

Only part that we don't know is if the roaming partners have made the changes to their systems to treat all three Cingular MNC's and the single AT&T Wireless MNC as the same. If they didn't, then some customers may experience and or get "Registration Failed" messages.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    I do remember being told that since Cingular had 3 MNC's, not all international providers had our MNC's loaded in their systems so Cingular SIMS would be worthless in some countries and that was why we sold unlocked world phones for a time there.
    That's true....what that means is that, for instance, Orange UK has to add 310-170 (Cingular Pacific) to their network as a roaming partner in order for your West Coast SIM to roam on Orange UK. If Orange UK added MNC 310-170 and 310-410 but doesn't add 310-150 then any Cingular customer can roam on Orange UK except for those using SIM cards from the Carolinas. Why does it work this way? Because Cingular is still 3 different networks: 170, 150 and 410. In other words, it's like 3 carriers under the same name, so Orange has to add them all to their network if you wanted every Cingular customer to roam on Orange UK.

However, this doesn't mean that the Cingular SIMs have to have the Orange UK MNC. It is their network that has to be loaded.
    Last edited by bobolito; 04-15-2005 at 12:02 PM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    incidentally, the "one single Smartchip" was announced today to be sold through all channels. I'm not sure what they were going to do with the old stock

one step closer to just one MNC, yay!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast