Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 64k vs 32k sim cards

Device(s)
    Siemens Sx66
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well here is my problem i have cingular and well awhile back maybe in october of 05 my Sim Card just gave out somehow it said check sim tried cleaning it and nothing it was messed up soo i had to buy another one and after i bought the new sim card that cingular wouldnt provide for me I Just Had HORRIBLE recption the new sim card i had to buy..before i always had full bars everywhere i went and my phone was a piece of garbage it was broken and was falling apart but i would always have full bars the old sim card was a 64K smartchip.and the new one i bought is also a 64k smartchip. and i had full bard everwhere especialy in my own room..now with the new sim card i cant get good reception anywhere and its just annoying ..ok soo i thought it was the fact that my phone was just crap a motorola V551 ..but heres the thing.. my dad just got himself a new phone from cingular a Sony ericsson w600i and he get full bars while he is in my room mean while i get no bars at all so i told my dad to sell me his phone and soo i take it off his hands and i put my sim card into the w600i and guess what... i still got no reception mean while my dad put his sim card into my old v551 thats still falling apart and he gets FULL BARS and then he puts his sim card into my old samsung x427m and he still get full bars and i have no bars on this new phone its really lame and really mad me mad... now his sim card is diffrent tho its a 64k smartchip but on the back its blue not white like my other sims cards where and it also says 3G on it....so what can i do for my problem..Do i have to just get a new sim card? any suggestions would help guys....Sorry for writting soo much

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Family Talk 700- 5 Lines
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well you have to tell us where you live. It sounds like you are in California.
    ▼Visit my Blog▼

▲..................▲

Device(s)
    Motorola V400
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul86
    well here is my problem i have cingular and well awhile back maybe in october of 05 my Sim Card just gave out somehow it said check sim tried cleaning it and nothing it was messed up soo i had to buy another one and after i bought the new sim card that cingular wouldnt provide for me I Just Had HORRIBLE recption the new sim card i had to buy..before i always had full bars everywhere i went and my phone was a piece of garbage it was broken and was falling apart but i would always have full bars the old sim card was a 64K smartchip.and the new one i bought is also a 64k smartchip. and i had full bard everwhere especialy in my own room..now with the new sim card i cant get good reception anywhere and its just annoying ..ok soo i thought it was the fact that my phone was just crap a motorola V551 ..but heres the thing.. my dad just got himself a new phone from cingular a Sony ericsson w600i and he get full bars while he is in my room mean while i get no bars at all so i told my dad to sell me his phone and soo i take it off his hands and i put my sim card into the w600i and guess what... i still got no reception mean while my dad put his sim card into my old v551 thats still falling apart and he gets FULL BARS and then he puts his sim card into my old samsung x427m and he still get full bars and i have no bars on this new phone its really lame and really mad me mad... now his sim card is diffrent tho its a 64k smartchip but on the back its blue not white like my other sims cards where and it also says 3G on it....so what can i do for my problem..Do i have to just get a new sim card? any suggestions would help guys....Sorry for writting soo much
    I had this same problem after I got a new chip. I spent a lot of time and frustration going to the cingular stores and trying different phones, etc, no luck. I complained, even considered breaking my contract, paying the termination fee and going elsewhere. I had called Cingular in the past to complain about coverage, but I called one last time to ask when my plan was up and I could go elsewhere, termination fees, etc. The CSR asked me why, I told her my story and she transfered me to technical support to update my sim chip with the new tower information. Apparently, I had the pre-merger tower information on the chip, so my phone was using the pre-att wireles merger 850 mhz towers (my old chip only used the 1900mhz), which were pretty bad. Anyways, they updated the chip, told me to wait till midnight, power cycled my phone, and it is back to working perfectly. Give them a call and ask about the tower information and if it needs updating.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-U600, SGH-i607 Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm a new cingular customer, been w tmobile (still am) for the last couple years. I thought this thread would explain the fundamental differences between the 32K and 64K sim cards, but i'm not sure if it answered my question.

Can anyone sum up the differences in idiots terms for me?

Ed

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by edkwon
    I'm a new cingular customer, been w tmobile (still am) for the last couple years. I thought this thread would explain the fundamental differences between the 32K and 64K sim cards, but i'm not sure if it answered my question.

Can anyone sum up the differences in idiots terms for me?

Ed
    Better off reading this thread instead.

64K SIMS and ENS Phones Q&A (Resulting from Cingular and ATTWS Merger)

or look at this image for the differences at a glance.

32K SIM = 250 Contacts, 17/18 SMS storage, 32 GSM Preferred Networks slots, 25 entries for Fixed Dialing Mode numbers.

64K SIM = 250 Contacts, 30 SMS storage, 85 GSM Preferred Networks slots, 40 entries for Fixed Dialing Mode numbers.

Since you mostly use non-Cingular branded phones, ENS will not be used while using a 64K ENS SIM.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-U600, SGH-i607 Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok thanks, that makes sense.

Ed

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How does the 64K Sim card differ from the 3G 64k sim card?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango808
    Better off reading this thread instead.

64K SIMS and ENS Phones Q&A (Resulting from Cingular and ATTWS Merger)

or look at this image for the differences at a glance.

32K SIM = 250 Contacts, 17/18 SMS storage, 32 GSM Preferred Networks slots, 25 entries for Fixed Dialing Mode numbers.

64K SIM = 250 Contacts, 30 SMS storage, 85 GSM Preferred Networks slots, 40 entries for Fixed Dialing Mode numbers.

Since you mostly use non-Cingular branded phones, ENS will not be used while using a 64K ENS SIM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyGuy
    How does the 64K Sim card differ from the 3G 64k sim card?

Thanks in advance.
    The 3G 64K SIM card supports Cingular's 3G network in addition to the existing 2.75G network. However, for complete 3G support you need to live in a area that supports 3G and the phone offered by Cingular must support it and the 3G 64K SIM card.

Other than that there's no difference between this card and the 64K SIM card.

Device(s)
    V3i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Question To switch or not to switch! Raleigh/Cary NC

I've just received a 3G 64k SIM but currently have a 32k SIM. After reading through all of the threads, I am still having a hard time understanding (you would think if I can seem edit, flash and change the fonts on my phone I would get it!! hehe) how this works. Here is my situation:

Currently, I get 1 or 2 bars in my living room. My wife has a Nokia that seems to have about the same signal strength on her phone. Basically, almost impossible to use in our house anywhere. I have checked here (http://www.cellreception.com/) and notice there is an AT&T tower about 2 1/2 miles away and that appears to be the closest one. The others that are close are Alltel according to the site. So here are my questions:

1. Is there a better site for determining the towers in my area?
    2. Should I switch to this 3g 64k SIM and turn on ENS via seem edit for my phone?

Not quite sure what to do, so hopefully you guys have some insight for me!!

Thanks to troyboy and all the guys over at motox for all the info on getting my v3i working on Cingular in the first place!

P.S. -- Everywhere else besides home, I get 4-5 bars consistently, no dropped calls. That excludes known dead zones (there are a few around town). Terrific coverage!
    Last edited by MattsterNC; 05-30-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Add more information
    v3i (Itunes Version)
    Flash: R47A_G_08.D8.A1R
    Flex: GSPSLQAT67SUL098
    LP: 0001 (US English)
    VST: 01 (US English)

Modded with Motox.info custom skin & Pixel font

Device(s)
    Treo 650 (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    hmm im in northern california, and i have the new 64k sim. At first, i had left my treo 650 on auto assuming that it would pick the towers with the best signal, but hell it doesnt do that. For the most part, it seems that i either get one type of towers that come in really strong, but not the other. if i leave it on auto, i usually only get like 1-2 bars maybe? but if i use my network select, i can get 3+ bars consistently, depending on the network i choose. The first day i had got my phone (nokia 6682) along with my sister and moms phone, we all had like full bars. but since then, everything seems to be only okay signal. ive only played around with my treo since then to try to get better service. im starting to think maybe i should have stayed with verizon.

Device(s)
    Apple I-Phone 3G S
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MattsterNC
    I've just received a 3G 64k SIM but currently have a 32k SIM. After reading through all of the threads, I am still having a hard time understanding (you would think if I can seem edit, flash and change the fonts on my phone I would get it!! hehe) how this works. Here is my situation:

Currently, I get 1 or 2 bars in my living room. My wife has a Nokia that seems to have about the same signal strength on her phone. Basically, almost impossible to use in our house anywhere. I have checked here (http://www.cellreception.com/) and notice there is an AT&T tower about 2 1/2 miles away and that appears to be the closest one. The others that are close are Alltel according to the site. So here are my questions:

1. Is there a better site for determining the towers in my area?
    2. Should I switch to this 3g 64k SIM and turn on ENS via seem edit for my phone?

Not quite sure what to do, so hopefully you guys have some insight for me!!

Thanks to troyboy and all the guys over at motox for all the info on getting my v3i working on Cingular in the first place!

P.S. -- Everywhere else besides home, I get 4-5 bars consistently, no dropped calls. That excludes known dead zones (there are a few around town). Terrific coverage!

You're Welcome!

Can you search for avil networks via your phone? settings/network/avail networks! what shows up? Your area may not be intergrated yet and getting cs to change your home network list on your sim could help. I had to get them to change me from orange to blue before intergration to get coverage at home. now its not an issue.

Originally Posted by Cory949 A Lexus IS is a very nice Toyota Corolla and a Acura Integra is a very nice Honda Civic. Buy what you like! This is America!

Feedback Score
    I have a Motorolla V60I with a 32K sim card. The other day I got a letter from Cingular wanting to switch to a 64K sim card, at no charge. I went to the store to do it and they told me I have to upgrade my phone (and then of course get a 2 year agreement). I told them no thanks. I am happy with my V60 and 32k sim, it works fine, I don't need features I just need it to talk. I live in California and travel the US every week and never have any problems (until yesterday).

I get to Oklahoma City yesterday and my phone doesn't work. I call them and they tell me I need a 64K sim. My phone (or card) is looking for Cingular towers and not AT&T, and with the sim I have they can't switch it. This doesn't make sense to me since I was always a Cingular customer, never AT&T. But in any case the phone doesn't work here (I'm only here till this afternoon so I lived with no phone, but need to solve the issue for the future).

I am looking for any feedback you may offer:

Do I really have to get a new phone for the 64K sim or can it be put in?
    Do I really need the 64K sim or can I live with the 32K? I thought I'd be fine until I got to OKC and it didn't work.
    Will I continue to have problems (or get worse) if I don't buy a new phone?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Calif
    I am looking for any feedback you may offer:

Do I really have to get a new phone for the 64K sim or can it be put in?
    Do I really need the 64K sim or can I live with the 32K? I thought I'd be fine until I got to OKC and it didn't work.
    Will I continue to have problems (or get worse) if I don't buy a new phone?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Ideally you should have a phone that's capable of utilizing both the 1900/850 MHz band, the V60i only uses 1900 MHz band in the States and it is possible in OKC the that control channels (for the SIM card to register on) are on the 850 MHz band or that there isn't any 1900 MHz service to use in that city (unlikely) so I would merely look into a phone that will use the 1900/850 MHz bands and even something like a cheap Nokia will do, but your 1900 MHz only phone isn't going to cut it any more.

I still use my 8K SIM card and I have no problems with Cingular service up here in Utah or non-Cingular roaming even though it's quite old. My advice is to replace the phone first and not worry about the SIM card, you can look at eBay for an example buy a unlocked/Cingular locked phone and if you continue to experience problems then replacing the SIM card would be the next step to go.

Wait for more people to chime in...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular--the new at&t
    Feedback Score
    What he has told you above is correct? Go on ebay and get a phone. You can also check out www.lostmyphone.com
    At least, you can find something that's not so expensive--unless you've decided that you want to upgrade your contract at Cingular. There's lots of websites out there selling unlocked phones--new, used, and refurbs. Good luck to you.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score

*ditto

I'm agreeing with those guys, check out a website for a 850/1900 phone and I bet that will clear up your problem (I do want to say that OKC is 850, but it's been a LONG time).

The other alternative, ask your co-workers/family if they have an old Cingular phone they aren't using. People are starting to accumulate them, you can try popping the SIM in and make sure it turns on and makes and receives calls fine, you might try to find out what model it is and we can tell you if it's 850/1900.

You can tell if a phone is 850/1900 by going to http://www.phonescoop.com/
    And in "Jump to a phone" type in the make and model (like Nokia 6125)
    Then scroll down and look for the "Modes" under "Specifications" and look for GSM 850 and GSM 1900, if it doesn't mention both, keep looking.
    -kilo <<I used to work as a Customer Service Representative and then as a Tier II Technical Support Representative for Cingular Wireless LLC most of my info you can associate with TX OK AR KS MO>>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast