Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 64k vs 32k sim cards

Feedback Score

Thank You All!!!!

Thanks much for the advice i0wnj00, phillyslickster, and kilo!!

I am going to "break down" and get a new phone with both bands.

It is working fine now that I am home, I just need to figure out the right phone for me. Then decide if I should buy from Cingular or just buy off ebay or somewhere else.

Thanks....

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Dave_Calif: Be sure to focus on "unlocked" or "Cingular" phones.

What I mean is that phones are either:
    "Unlocked" - Any GSM Carrier's SIM card can be placed in it.
    "Locked to Cingular" - Only Cingular SIM's can be used.
    "Locked to XYZ" - Only usable by some other phone company.

You can "unlock" a phone, check for services in the HoFo marketplace.
    -kilo <<I used to work as a Customer Service Representative and then as a Tier II Technical Support Representative for Cingular Wireless LLC most of my info you can associate with TX OK AR KS MO>>

Feedback Score
    Yep Thanks.

I'm familiar with locked, as I have switched sim cards in Canada.

Just got back from Cingular, I wasn't that impressed with their selection so here goes the rest of my Saturday searching for a phone. Not sure why my wife thinks I analyze stuff to death.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3 - Black
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I purchased a couple of replacement RAZRs (through Cingular) that came with new SIM cards. The card were not preprogrammed with my cell info though and don't appear to do anything. Was I supposed to go to a storefront and have them do something with them? The phones work fine with my old SIM so the new ones have been sitting in a box for ~6 months.
    --Larry

SW: TRIPLETS_G_0B.09.2FR
    Flex:GS9V400CIN02NA11C
    DSP: 62D5C500

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    ^ The Corporate Store or 611 will be able to help you activate the SIM cards that came with your V3 if you choose to utilize the SIM cards otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Device(s)
    Motorola ROKR E2
    Carrier(s)
    I.C.E.
    Feedback Score
    I got a weird question, I got a Motorola ROKR E2, and if I use my SIM card, a pretty old model, maybe 8, 16 or 32kb, it won't send SMS, just recieve them (and there's nothing stored on the card), but if I use a different SIM Card I can send text messages too, but the bad thing is that if I want to change my SIM I would have to change my number too and I don't want that... Any Idea of why could that happen?
    Also I knew that could be fixed using SEEM Edit, but forgot which bit, offset or seem I needed to fix that.

Device(s)
    T809 > D820
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    i have a flashed t809 to d807 and it had excellent reception until cingular had me upgrade me sim card. now its crap. any ideas?

Device(s)
    Motorola V400
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madtodaimax
    i have a flashed t809 to d807 and it had excellent reception until cingular had me upgrade me sim card. now its crap. any ideas?
    I think I posted this b4, but I had this same problem. Try calling cingular and ask for technical support. Ask them to make sure your phone has the latest tower information. Not sure where you are located, but I am in San Diego, and when I upgraded to the latest chip so I could have 850 mhz network access (old sim card was from 1998), my phone/account/chip/????? did not have the latest tower information that resulted from the cingular/att merger. Basically, my phone was only using the pre-merger 850 mhz cingular towers (that used to work in conjunction w/the 1900 mhz towers they sold to t-mobile).
    Hope that helps!!! within 4-6 hours, my phone was back to near-perfect reception.

Carrier(s)
    Varies
    Feedback Score
    Now that the 3G sim cards are out, how are they different over the 64k cards?

Device(s)
    Motorola V3 - Black
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Heh heh, it's like you read my mind. I just bought a SLVR L7 that arrived today and noticed that it came with a 3g card.

This one (and the RAZR's I referenced above) came with instructions to charge the phone in the Power Off position for 8 hours, then turn on the phone. Within 2 hours of Power On the phone is supposed to be attached to my account; if after 2 hours it is not attached I am supposed to give them a call.

WTF is actually supposed to happen? I lost my RAZR (and thus my SIM) so this is a blank phone and 3g SIM. Why in the world would I have to go through a 10 hour process to get a SIM attached to my account?

Device(s)
    Motorola V551
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Llamalarry-

8 hours = Fully charge the new battery
    2 hours = Sync all network info

Look at this database International Numbering Plans

Select "SIM number analysis" on the small menu (right side) and enter your SIM number, if you want to make sure those new SIM cards are really tied to Cingular....

HTH

Device(s)
    i-mate SP5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but just a quick question along these lines:
    I'm assuming all new phones ordered on wireless.att.com come delivered with a new 3G 64K SIM chip installed or in-box. To anyone who's ordered something direct from AT&T online recently: does your old SIM chip work ok in your old phone all up until the time the new one comes? What do you have to do to activate the new SIM chip (and presumably de-activate the old one)? Just turn the new phone on and wait, or do you have to call in for activation?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I believe when your new phone is delivered, there is a phone # you call that will automatically switch over your new SIM to your phone #.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is a number with instructions, but when I received my new phone last week, I kept getting "Phone can be used for emergency calls only", so I just stuck with my old SIM.

My old sim is a Cingular 64K card, the new one is an AT&T 64K, but says "3G" on it. Is there any real difference so that I should get my number transfered to the new sim?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Anecdotal perhaps, but I stuck 3 SIMS into a Sierra Wireless AirCard (one saying 3G, one saying 64K, and one saying something else entirely that I've forgotten), and in Communication Manager all 3 had the little "3G" fireball show up. So I assume that means it still works.

My advice: Just keep doing what you are doing till you run into a problem.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast