Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 64k vs 32k sim cards

Feedback Score
    Mine just says 64k smart chip ... that 3G?

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have a 32k Cingular sim card and I want to get a 64k 3G sim card. If I buy one off ebay, can I do this without AT&T Cingular knowing, and how does my number transfer over.

Device(s)
    E70
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blt4424
    I have a 32k Cingular sim card and I want to get a 64k 3G sim card. If I buy one off ebay, can I do this without AT&T Cingular knowing, and how does my number transfer over.
    Well, it is hard to switch SIMs without AT&T knowing, because their systems use your SIM card number for routing a call to your phone (by associating your SIM card number with your phone number on a computer somewhere) and for billing. There's really no way to go behind their back on this.

Just walk into a store, tell the sales rep that you have an old card and need an upgrade and they will ususally take care of you with little or no fuss. I've done it several times as I moved both my phone and my wife's from a 32k to a 64k and finally to 3G AT&T branded cards. They usually just have to pull up your account, zap the bar code on the new SIM and you're literally good to go with your new SIM in a matter of seconds.

It doesn't affect your contract, and most of the reps I've dealt with didn't give me any hassle for I using my unlocked N80 and E70 phones. Most of the corporate store sales reps I've dealt with in my area (Redmond, WA) are actually cool to work with in my experience, although I'm sure there are arsehats everywhere.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score

3g

What does the newer 3g SIM cards address/improve?

I am with ATT on a Blackberry Pearl and travel
    to France and Mexico from my base of California.

ATT gave me the unlock code but I have yet to
    get a new card.

Any thoughts?

Thanks tons!

Device(s)
    Panasonic GU87 (1st phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    reading through I am wondering I have the old AT&T Blue SIM card I'm assuming its 32k. Can I have access to the 3g network or do I need to get a new sim card to attain 3g speeds? I have been using it with the NOKIA 6620 which I know I get edge with it but just wondering if 3g signal is only available with new sim cards.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Yes, AT&T Wireless SIM cards are able to access the 3G network.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    oh ok coo thanks for the clarification. I guess they just try bait me to get a cingular plan.

Device(s)
    nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludawg94
    reading through I am wondering I have the old AT&T Blue SIM card I'm assuming its 32k. Can I have access to the 3g network or do I need to get a new sim card to attain 3g speeds? I have been using it with the NOKIA 6620 which I know I get edge with it but just wondering if 3g signal is only available with new sim cards.

I have an old ATT Blue sim. I use to get 3G speeds on my Nokia N95-3 up until 2 weeks ago. Now everytime I try to connect, it give me an error saying to contact my network provider. Never touched any setting or anything. I am still able to get on Edge, but no more 3G for me.

However, I still can make phone calling on the 3G towers, but when trying to access high speed data, i get the error. Only switching back to GSM and restarting the phone will let me get back an edge data connection.

I recently went to NY for the holidays and noticed something somewhat different. When on 3G I can make calls as usual, but as soon as I tried a data connection not only will i get the error, but I could lose all reception all together. Almost like I got kicked off the tower. Again, only restarting the phone will let me get my 3G reception back.

I think ATT pulled the plug on me from the inside. 2 much slingplayer i guess.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Family Talk 700- 5 Lines
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Port over and get a new SIM. It guarantee it will solve your problem.
    ▼Visit my Blog▼

▲..................▲

Device(s)
    nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bodeh6
    Port over and get a new SIM. It guarantee it will solve your problem.

agreed,. however I really dont want to give up my plan. I'm still on the 99 unlimited minutes and use about 3k to 4k mins a month. So I'll hold off for a little bit longer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kay
    agreed,. however I really dont want to give up my plan. I'm still on the 99 unlimited minutes and use about 3k to 4k mins a month. So I'll hold off for a little bit longer.
    yup the longer the old blue ATT people hold out hopefully the more likely they will cave in to let us keep our plans and allow us to get new sim cards.

Device(s)
    Vertu (Sold), Nokia 8800 Sirocco, LG KU990,w960i, N95-3, E90, N82, iPhone 8GB, Nokia N75
    Carrier(s)
    ATT: Your World, Retarded
    Feedback Score
    i have a 64k but i want to go to a 32k for some hacking project, i dnt really mind 3G, and im good with GSM, anybody think a rep wud activate such? , i can get an old sim from ebay esp the att wireless ones <2004

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    32k cingular is a v1 sim card?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If customers want updated SIM cards I don't mind swapping out their 32ks for new SIMs. It only takes a minute to do and I copy the contacts for them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5