Thread: Rogers pay as you go scam

tminus12 Guest

Rogers pay as you go scam

No, unfortunately, this isn't a scam you benefit from.

If you refill a pay as you go account by credit card via their *611 service, even if you choose the $50 value, it's still only valid for 90 days, despite the fact that it should be valid for 180 days.

Think about that for a second: the ordinary schmo wants the convenience of not having to top up their account so they go for a $50 fill. 90 days later, their balance is 0 and they lose all their unused minutes.

If I was suspicious, I'd say Rogers built it that way, so as to trap at least some of their users.

Anybody have ideas on how we can publicly shame Rogers into fixing this shoddy if not outright fraudulent business practice?

T-12

torontonian2001 Guest

Rogers Pay as You Go Scam.

If Rogers has advertised that it is valid for more than 90 days, try complaining to Industry Canada about Roger's misleading advertising.

harrytse Guest

Pay As You Go

Either that or some poor fool in their systems administration can't configure things properly.

I bought a $10 card and it was valid for 90 days when it should've only been valid for 30. I've still got another 50 something days on that card.

Never really liked Rogers to begin with.....

Harry Tse
    ~*604 Honour Guard*~
    "Well y'know sorry but screw that."

crystal Guest

Pay As You Go

the question here is: does Rogers knowingly lie to customers by by advertising 90 and only giving you 60? (I doubt it). This sounds more like an oversight on thier part. They recently cut-over to a new prepaid platform and have had trouble with expiry dates. this may be one of them. The best thing to do is call them and ask.

Tarkenx Guest

Re: Pay As You Go

First, where did you get that information from? Second have you contacted Rogers to find out what is going on? In most cases it is best to let the company provide their defence and then only complain if it a poor excuse.

Bonka Guest

These types of problems occur for every provider. Telus recently had problems with their online credit card replenish thing for pay and talk, where you would top up, but their systems wouldn't update it so you would still end up with the same balance before top up. These types of things are more likely system errors, caused by human error perhaps, so it's not a total scam. Besides, you said you were getting extra days for your top ups=)

tminus12 Guest

Thanks for all the info -- especially the nugget that their $10 card might work for 90 days! (I like that one because it really does put the scam back in the user's favour.)

By way of additional background, the $50 fill that should have lasted 180 days was done in March. When my phone died and their customer service wasn't open, I refilled with another $50. That recent fill was tagged as valid for 90 days as well, so there's at least continuity to their bad business practices. The rep wasn't particularly apologetic... he just said he'd fix it.

I'll definately get myself a $10 card and report back on how long it lasts next fill.

T-12

harrytse Guest

Nugget

Oh to be called young, naive and inexperienced....something I haven't heard in a long time! Okay Okay I admit I do ask dumb questions sometimes w/o thinking but a nugget? I'd almost take offense to that, if I wasn't so impulsive and impatient. :P

I was doing some thinking, and I did realise that I did call *#611 on my phone and activated voice mail. They did add an extra five minutes to allow me to set up the voicemail, that may be where the new expiration came from.

I don't even remember why I activated that phone on Pay-As-You-Go to begin w/.

A nugget?? correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what you call a neophyte naval aviator?

Lates
    Harry Tse
    ~*604 Honour Guard*~
    "Well y'know sorry but screw that."