Thread: Tracfone Roaming? How Can I Find Out Which Carrier I am Receiving a Signal From?

Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Tracfone Roaming? How Can I Find Out Which Carrier I am Receiving a Signal From?

I was wondering how I can find out which carrier my Nokia 2600 is roaming off of? Which carrier does Tracfone prefer?

Also what does it mean when people say Cingular orange or blue tower? Does Cingular orange mean Cingular's native coverage and blue means AT&T's coverage?

I am in home zip code right now, and the phone just switched from Tracfone to Roaming. So how can I find out what carrier I am roaming on?

Is there any way to force my phone to use a network? Or does the phone and Tracfone just switch to the strongest network?

Finally, according to Tracfone's website, they state the following:

"Enjoy the same low rate for every call -- local, long distance & roaming"

Does this above statement mean that I just use the minutes on my airtime card, whether I am dialing a local call (without the area code), a long distance call (with the area code), or roaming on my phone?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Gamer103; 04-15-2005 at 11:26 AM.
    My Carriers:

Cellular One (TDMA) [1998-1999]>>AT&T (TDMA) [1999-2001]>>Cingular (TDMA) [2001-2003]>>Sprint [2003-2005]>>Verizon Wireless [2005 to present]>>Sprint SERO [2006-2008]>>AT&T [2008 to 2009]

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In the Boston area, TracFone activates on Cingular. Generally, a call to 611 should produce a recording which references the carrier name.

When my old TracFone 1100 roamed in Vermont, most of the recordings indicated it was AT&T Wireless (pre-merger, but during the period where Cingular and AT&T Wireless customers could roam on each others networks).

Other than that, the phone will display "Roaming" instead of "TracFone".

What I have noticed in this area, is that if the signal from a Cingular Blue tower (ex-AT&T) is stronger than from a Cingular Orange (original) tower, the phone will lock onto the stronger of the two signals. If I am inside the supermarket up the street, the phone displayed TracFone, but as I got towards the back, the phone picked up the stronger Blue signal and the display changed to "Roaming", a call to 611 at that point referenced AT&T Wireless (and eventually Cingular).
    Last edited by EdwardP; 04-15-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by EdwardP
    What I have noticed in this area, is that if the signal from a Cingular Blue tower (ex-AT&T) is stronger than from a Cingular Orange (original) tower, the phone will lock onto the stronger of the two signals.
    64K SIM, maybe?

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by blkballoon925
    64K SIM, maybe?
    The phone has a 32K SIM card in it, pre-merger.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The phone has a 32K SIM card in it, pre-merger.
    In that case, the phone must completely lose it's home network before it switches to a roaming network.

Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In the Boston area, TracFone activates on Cingular. Generally, a call to 611 should produce a recording which references the carrier name.

When my old TracFone 1100 roamed in Vermont, most of the recordings indicated it was AT&T Wireless (pre-merger, but during the period where Cingular and AT&T Wireless customers could roam on each others networks).

Other than that, the phone will display "Roaming" instead of "TracFone".

What I have noticed in this area, is that if the signal from a Cingular Blue tower (ex-AT&T) is stronger than from a Cingular Orange (original) tower, the phone will lock onto the stronger of the two signals. If I am inside the supermarket up the street, the phone displayed TracFone, but as I got towards the back, the phone picked up the stronger Blue signal and the display changed to "Roaming", a call to 611 at that point referenced AT&T Wireless (and eventually Cingular).
    Ok.

Thanks for your EdwardP.

I appreciate it.