Phones
    Nokia N97 Black NAM
    Nokia E63 Blue NAM
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Can you reuse a SIM Card??

Me and a coworker are having a disagreement. He's convince that it's possible to re-use a SIM card. By re-use, I'm saying Customer A gets a phone, activates it, and uses it for a week. Decides he doesn't need the service that bad, returns the phone. You take the SIM card out of his phone, cancel his number off it, and then use the exact same SIM card for Customer B, with a different number. I'm pretty sure that once a SIM card has a number assigned to it, it can't be reused, or given a new number. Who's right?

EDIT: Cause I'm pretty sure that if you request a number change, they tell you go to a main store and get a new SIM card, for that reason.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    They cannot re-use a used SIM on another account, as there will be issues with the cancelled Customer A account and the Customer B account.

The same SIM can be used to get a number changed and does not require a new SIM. If you were to call in to request a number change, they can easily do it over the phone, but you'd have to be on a different line (i.e. not the phone that you want the number change on) so that the Rep can make the changes and send the OTA update to the SIM.

The reason most in-store Reps prefer to start with a new un-used SIM to do a number change is it is easier to void out the other SIM and activate the new SIM with the new number in the system. The more experienced Reps will use the same SIM though unless they don't feel like doing it that way.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Phones
    Nokia N97 Black NAM
    Nokia E63 Blue NAM
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for replying. So but you cannot use one SIM card for Customer A, cancel that account for whatever reason, and then activate the same SIM for Customer B? (Assuming Customer A and B are complete strangers with different accounts/numbers)

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Rcadden
    Thanks for replying. So but you cannot use one SIM card for Customer A, cancel that account for whatever reason, and then activate the same SIM for Customer B? (Assuming Customer A and B are complete strangers with different accounts/numbers)
    Goes against the policy and the system would probably not allow it anyway. If I was Customer B and you just pulled out the little SIM portion instead of a full card and break it out, I would not take it. Even if you told me that you just broke it out earlier and I didn't see you do it, I still would have you take out a full card to use on my account.

Now if Customer A was to start service and use it over 30-days and cancel with the ETF, then try to start new service again within 90-days of the cancellation, they could actually use the same SIM to re-start the service under the same account if they still had it.

Phones
    V3
    V551
    Reserved for MPX220
    Carrier
    Cingular GSM
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Mango808
    Goes against the policy and the system would probably not allow it anyway. If I was Customer B and you just pulled out the little SIM portion instead of a full card and break it out, I would not take it. Even if you told me that you just broke it out earlier and I didn't see you do it, I still would have you take out a full card to use on my account.

Now if Customer A was to start service and use it over 30-days and cancel with the ETF, then try to start new service again within 90-days of the cancellation, they could actually use the same SIM to re-start the service under the same account if they still had it.
    I have so many right now that i just use a new one except for upgrades and whatnot. I have more sims then i will probably ever use.
    Call me AGENT ORANGE

THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE

2000 bmw 323i is my new addition to my garage.