Thread: How can I temporarily disable a phone without having another esn to switch it to?

Phones
    LG VX8600
    LG VX8000
    LG VX7000BK
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

How can I temporarily disable a phone without having another esn to switch it to?

How can I temporarily disable a phone without having another esn to switch it to?

Phones
    SE 760a/c905a Current
    Nextel 580 current-Wifes
    W518a - Kid
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    call and report it lost when you ant it back on call and tell them you found it adn want to get turned back on.

I believe they will do this for 30 days

Feedback Score
    .. That's a pretty drastic measure, though. Before you go to such lengths, care to tell us what this is for, Ceed? Do you perhaps want to disable it before selling it on eBay or something?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    how do you mean disable it?

you could just shut it off?

Feedback Score
    I think he wants it un-activated. He doesn't want the ESN in the Verizon system, have a person able to make phone calls from it, etc.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Call up verizon, tell them it's your son's phone, he's grounded and you want the phone turned off for a while. My dad threatens to do that all the time, so I'm assuming they must be able to

Phone
    Samsung SCH-a930
    Carrier
    VerizonWireless
    Feedback Score
    Call and say its stolen - if you call and just ask them to disable it you will be charged $15.00. I called last week to disable someone on my account for using 1800 minutes in 20 days and the rep. said he would mark it as stolen to save me the $15.00 to put a hold on the phone.

Just call them up and they will suspend the phone.
    Signatures are Overrated

Feedback Score

here is what ya do

Here is what you do, I do this all the time.

Tell them you were borowing a buddys phone and you need to give it back to him and ask them to put a dummy esn on your account and that will take care of your problem.

Phones
    LG VX8600
    LG VX8000
    LG VX7000BK
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have a family share plan with 5 lines, and one person is making too many calls, and I just want to disable it to teach them a lesson, and to show them that yes in fact I will disable their phone if they dont watch how many minutes they use. (They live in another state)

Phones
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Droid Bionic, HTC Tbolt&Inc, Droid X,O2,Droid,BB Tour/Storm/Pearl,GzOne, LG Dare/enV/Choc,HTC Touch,
    Sam BJ2/Juke/Alias,iPhone 2G, MiFi, Moto Q9m/v3xx/168i
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    One idea is to look for an old phone on eBay... I just sold a couple for $10 shipped. Then you can change the ESN to one on a phone you have but don't use. It may also come in handy as a spare if someone in the family loses a phone.

Phones
    Nextel BB 8350i
    Sprint BB 8330
    Sprint HTC Touch Pro
    Carriers
    Nextel
    What other carriers, are there?
    Feedback Score

????....

I am learning about Verizon because a friend is starting to sell them at his store.

Nextel has was they call seasonal standby for for a few dollars to no more than $5.00, I don't see why Verizon can't come up with something like that.
    Nextel Nutt

Phone
    LGVX6000
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has a seasonal suspend as well.

Don't remember the details of it at this moment.

But you don't need to go to those lengths. Call CS & tell them you want to dummy out the phone.

They will put in a fake ESN (one not attached to any phone). When you feel like being nice to the other person, call CS back & have them undummy the phone.

It costs nothing except for the monthly access you still pay for the phone.

Phones
    LG Chocolate Blue Mint (VX8550)
    Motorola Q - Retired
    Motorola E815 - Retired
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Could just use a dummy ESN such as 13901111111. Not sure if you can use that on My Account though.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NextelNutt
    I am learning about Verizon because a friend is starting to sell them at his store.

Nextel has was they call seasonal standby for for a few dollars to no more than $5.00, I don't see why Verizon can't come up with something like that.
    My mom did that to my line for 2 months, and it costed her $15 to reactivate.
    PIN:3111AAC4

Phone
    Blackberry Curve
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Since '95
    Feedback Score
    Pick one

All from dead phones (actaully just back housings) straight from my cell-phone boneyard
    Hi there. I'm the guy on the other side of the counter. If you're a jerk to me, guess how hard I'm going to try to help you?