Thread: Home Only, Automatic A, Automatic B

Phone
    BlackBerry 9550 Storm2 (Unlocked)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question Home Only, Automatic A, Automatic B

Home Only, Automatic A, Automatic B?

I've tried searching the forums, but I believe the database is experiencing some technical difficulty.

Could anyone give a detailed description of this VZW service feature. I've never quite understood what the difference is and why the differentiation is needed. I had Sprint PCS before VZW and I don't recall having the option of switching between service areas via my handset.

I assume Home Only is not roaming on other networks, but I rarely roam on any other networks as I live in the North East and have excellent VZW coverage.

I often read threads on HoFo in which people talk about switching between the "A and B side". What's what and how do all these people know it? Is there a tutorial out there because I don't think VZW is very descriptive about it. I beleive most VZW customers are told to keep their phones on "the B side". Is there a listing of what's on A and B and why aren't they all just in one "side". Either allow the phone to roam or not (Home Only).

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Philly Blue; 05-11-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Phone
    Android/Linux
    Feedback Score
    Home only - Will not roam outside your home SID
    Auto A - roam on cellular A
    Auto B - roam on cellular B

The roaming on the Auto's usually now just refers to the analog side and VZW's phones just go by what is in the PRL so it really shouldn't do much.

This will show your area:
    http://www.mountainwireless.com/uscellmap.htm

Unless you're having problems with roaming, just leave it to the default.

Phone
    BlackBerry 9550 Storm2 (Unlocked)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Those maps explain a lot. Now it's clear why VZW advises using the "B side".
    Thanks for the info!

Phones
    LG Chocolate Blue Mint (VX8550)
    Motorola Q - Retired
    Motorola E815 - Retired
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Blue
    Those maps explain a lot. Now it's clear why VZW advises using the "B side".
    Thanks for the info!
    Depends on the location. Here A side is recommended.

Phones
    LG DARE
    Thunderbolt
    DARE
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    In some phones, "Home Only" Will allow Any VZW system, but not others.

These last resort settings are really a throwback to the old analog & "pre-PRL" days.
    The current fone's internal PRL software has priority over these settings, & in most cases the phone never gets to "check" these settings, since it will find a compatible system in the PRL long before it needs to try the "last resort" system selection, & if your VZW home or Extended system happens to be "B", for example, it's in the PRL anyway, & will be found that way, before the system select can kick in.
    Some people in a remote dead "no service" area, will try switching it to the "opposite" system, to see if their fone can "land" on or find a non-PRL carrier that "may" take a credit card to make a call....
    Last edited by MeatChicken; 05-11-2005 at 04:15 PM.