Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: how do i use a .wav file as a ringtone when i send it to my phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g black 16gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

how do i use a .wav file as a ringtone when i send it to my phone?

im using xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com to send a .wav file to my phone. i receive the .wav file and am able to play it , but cant set it as a ring tone. i even tried changing the file extension to .mid, and now the phone says it doesnt recognize the file type. im trying to use some of these south park .wav files...the authority one.

http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../southpark.htm

Device(s)
    LG enV
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't believe you can use a .wav file for a ringtone. You dont' want those on your phone anyway because they're much much larger than .mp3 files. And you can't just change the extension from .wav to .mp3 because there's no compression. I would just convert from .wav-->.mp3 because it will save a lot of room anyway, and then you'll be able to apply it as a ringtone.

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    The V710 supports.. General Midi (polyphonic), iMelody (monophonic), and MP3 files as ringers.

It does not support WAVs for either playback or use as ringer.

Convert your wav file to an MP3. Keep it about 20 to 25 secs max. And have no ID3 tags in it.

For the best balance between file size and quality, I found 48kbits/44kHz/Mono to be good.

BTW, some MP3 files I have that were reported as Mpeg 2.0 Layer 3 and Mpeg 2.5 Layer 3 via File Info in WinAMP and would NOT REPEAT on the phone. After conversion to Mpeg 1.0 Layer 3 and ripping out the ID3 tag, they do repeat.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    LG enV
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    actually, it does one way or another since the shutter tones are all in .wav format

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 11/18/09 vzw proof
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i like to set mine to 128kb cuz their louder... roughly 200kb for 30 seconds
    Still on Verizon with a Motorola Droid, The first UNTOUCHED phone by Verizon.

Device(s)
    v710
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    The V710 supports.. General Midi (polyphonic), iMelody (monophonic), and MP3 files as ringers.

Convert your wav file to an MP3. Keep it about 20 to 25 secs max. And have no ID3 tags in it.

For the best balance between file size and quality, I found 48kbits/44kHz/Mono to be good.

BTW, some MP3 files I have that were reported as Mpeg 2.0 Layer 3 and Mpeg 2.5 Layer 3 via File Info in WinAMP and would NOT REPEAT on the phone. After conversion to Mpeg 1.0 Layer 3 and ripping out the ID3 tag, they do repeat.
    How do you remove the id3 tag from an mp3? I think this may be why my phone wont play the new ringers I made. I can use the 30sec mp3's from walmart but all of my custom created ones wont play.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hscorpio
    How do you remove the id3 tag from an mp3? I think this may be why my phone wont play the new ringers I made. I can use the 30sec mp3's from walmart but all of my custom created ones wont play.
    Do you have WinAMP? If so, play the file in WinAMP... From the PlayList, highlight the file either right click on it and do "file info" or just press ALT-3. Remove the checks from the ID3v1 and ID3v2 boxes, then click the update button.

Device(s)
    v710
    Feedback Score
    Do you have WinAMP? If so, play the file in WinAMP... From the PlayList, highlight the file either right click on it and do "file info" or just press ALT-3. Remove the checks from the ID3v1 and ID3v2 boxes, then click the update button.
    I just downloaded the latest winamp and it worked. Thanks

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hscorpio
    I just downloaded the latest winamp and it worked. Thanks
    Im trying 2 do the same thing, & Im stuck. I sent a 15 sec mp3 from my email 2 my xxx-xxxx@vzwpix.com, I received & saved it & can play it from the sounds area. Although I sent a mp3, its named as a QCP file. I also dont see any options 2 save as contact ringer or anything similar. Any advise would be appreciated.

Feedback Score

I can't get mpeg 2.0 or 2.5 to play at all what program do you use to convert to 1.0?

Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotnututhis
    Im trying 2 do the same thing, & Im stuck. I sent a 15 sec mp3 from my email 2 my xxx-xxxx@vzwpix.com, I received & saved it & can play it from the sounds area. Although I sent a mp3, its named as a QCP file. I also dont see any options 2 save as contact ringer or anything similar. Any advise would be appreciated.
    If you rename it to a .mid file and then email it, you will be able to use it as a ringtone - do not convert to a midi, just rename it to .mid (make sure it isn't renamed to mysong.mid.mp3, it should be mysong.mid).
    There are 4 ways to get a ringtone on your V710:
    http://zano6.home.att.net/V710_TransFlash.htm

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ariez
    I can't get mpeg 2.0 or 2.5 to play at all what program do you use to convert to 1.0?
    I use CoolEdit Pro with its Mp3 plug-in (Its been sold to Adobe, and they now call it Audition...)

Or I've also used the Disk-Out plug-in thats part of winamp.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Like Humpa said... rename it to .MID first...

BUT for it to work properly you might have to change a setting in Windows... from in Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View Tab. Find the box for "hide extensions for known file types" and REMOVE the check mark. Apply it.

Then you can rename it from say... MyTone.MP3 to MyTone.MID.

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I did everything listed above & if I attempt 2 play or save the file, I get "File type not recognized"

I changed the folder options within windows, renamed to a .mid file, then emailed it 2myself. I just got this phone yesterday so I dont have any data cables yet.

Since I have the newest version of this phone, do u guys think something is changed within the firmware thats preventing this file from playing or saving??
    Last edited by Knotnututhis; 06-04-2005 at 11:01 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ...Since I have the newest version of this phone, do u guys think something is changed within the firmware thats preventing this file from playing or saving??
    What firmware are you using? if its 8700_01.40.0R, that is what we have.

What is the size of the file? bit rate? length (in seconds)? Is it stereo or Mono?

if its small enough, PM me with the file.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast