Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: how do i use a .wav file as a ringtone when i send it to my phone?

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    What firmware are you using? if its 8700_01.40.0R, that is what we have.

What is the size of the file? bit rate? length (in seconds)? Is it stereo or Mono?

if its small enough, PM me with the file.
    I bought this phone 6-3-05 & it "IS" the same firmware that u listed. The file im trying 2 save is 241k in size, 30 sec in length, 64kb bit rate

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    BTW, which menu would a track be assigned as a ringer anyway??

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Knotnututhis,

I got the two files you sent me via email. I found the problem, and I have to ask... What did you use to encode them?

I can not play them in WinAMP. (even if I rename to .MP3). File info on the one shows its 320Kbit encoded, the other says 64Kbit encoded, but they do NOT play.... While Windows Media Player 9 can play them, it can NOT identify/list what audio codec they are when you try and display properties of the file. Playing them in WMP, there is no way they are encoded the way WinAMP tells me. They sound like garbage... If the laurenhill one was truely encoded the way WinAMP tells me, it should be CD Quality!

Opening them in CoolEdit Pro, they are NOT encoded using an MP3 codec, but rather 8000Hz, 8-Bit, Mono Windows PCM. That is the main part of your problem.

When they play back, they sound horrible. If I convert them to .MP3, they sound even worse. So bad that I would say you are better off starting from scratch with the original files and reconvert to .MP3.

Let us know what software you have/are using so we can give you some tips for it to work out better for ya.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotnututhis
    BTW, which menu would a track be assigned as a ringer anyway??
    If you have the option to "apply as ringtone" from your message, it would be set as the "Calls" ringer under Menu -> Settings -> Ring Styles -> "Detail" for the currently selected ring style.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justincase
    actually, it does one way or another since the shutter tones are all in .wav format
    Yeah, but I've not been able to "drop a .wav" on the phone and play it back like I can with an MP3 or Midi file.

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Knotnututhis,

I got the two files you sent me via email. I found the problem, and I have to ask... What did you use to encode them?
    I didnt, a buddy of mine told me a site that me got his ringers from that worked for him. They have that they are 4 Nextel phones, but I was informed by my buddy that they play on the 710 as well. The site: www.http://v710-ringtones.com/

I can not play them in WinAMP. (even if I rename to .MP3). File info on the one shows its 320Kbit encoded, the other says 64Kbit encoded, but they do NOT play.... While Windows Media Player 9 can play them, it can NOT identify/list what audio codec they are when you try and display properties of the file. Playing them in WMP, there is no way they are encoded the way WinAMP tells me. They sound like garbage... If the laurenhill one was truely encoded the way WinAMP tells me, it should be CD Quality!
    The files play on my pc in real player & sounds like is cd quality. When I emailed the files 2 my 710 (wav or mp3 file) it plays & sounds like cd quality as well. They are really loud on my phone. I dont see any options 2 set it as a ringer but it will play. The (mid) files always state that it is a unrecognize file if I try 2 play or save it though on the phone. They will play on my pc though.

Opening them in CoolEdit Pro, they are NOT encoded using an MP3 codec, but rather 8000Hz, 8-Bit, Mono Windows PCM. That is the main part of your problem.

When they play back, they sound horrible. If I convert them to .MP3, they sound even worse. So bad that I would say you are better off starting from scratch with the original files and reconvert to .MP3.

Let us know what software you have/are using so we can give you some tips for it to work out better for ya.
    I have never encoded mp3s in this fashion b/c I never had a phone that would play them until 3 days ago. As far as mp3 software on my pc, I have Nero 6, DbPowerAmp, & Musicmatch. I havent ever "chopped" a mp3 b4.

So do u think I should not use these mp3's that I got from that site?? Are there any sites that have mp3 files encoded in a fashion that the 710 will accept them, or is it a fairly easy process 2 do it myself??
    Last edited by Knotnututhis; 06-05-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ...They have that they are 4 Nextel phones, but I was informed by my buddy that they play on the 710 as well. The site: www.http://v710-ringtones.com/
    I visited that site. They are Windows PCM encoded WAV files, not MP3. This is part of the problem.

AFAIK the V710 can only use .MP3, Midi, or Imelody files as ringers.

I have not been successful even when I use MPT to copy a .WAV to the phone and try to just Play it.

...The files play on my pc in real player & sounds like is cd quality. When I emailed the files 2 my 710 (wav or mp3 file) it plays & sounds like cd quality as well.
    Yeah, like i said, they play in media player. But not Winamp. That is the important thing... If they do not play in WinAMP, they will not play on the phone.

Btw, either you sent me different files, or my ears are just way more sensitive.
    Visit my ringers HERE Give a listen to We_Like_2_Party.mp3, Bad_to_the_Bone.mp3 and/or 50Cents_InDaClub.mp3. They are cleaner, but still not CD Quality.

Then listen to Sk8er_Boi.mp3... Its highs are slightly distorted when played on the PC, it sounds "OK" on the phone, but not great. When I compress it down, I can't get that "magic" point between too much compression, and too big of a file.

The files you sent me are "muddy," have no highs, more background noise/hiss... But to me, neither mine, nore the ones you sent are "cd quality"
    They are really loud on my phone. I dont see any options 2 set it as a ringer but it will play. The (mid) files always state that it is a unrecognize file if I try 2 play or save it though on the phone. They will play on my pc though.
    Yeah, loud is good when it comes to a ringer... But we need to get the files into a format the phone can use as a ringer.
    I have never encoded mp3s in this fashion b/c I never had a phone that would play them until 3 days ago. As far as mp3 software on my pc, I have Nero 6, DbPowerAmp, & Musicmatch. I havent ever "chopped" a mp3 b4.
    Does your Nero inlcude the Nero Wave Editor? If so, you can use that to open a file, edit it, trim it and save as an MP3.
    So do u think I should not use these mp3's that I got from that site?? Are there any sites that have mp3 files encoded in a fashion that the 710 will accept them, or is it a fairly easy process 2 do it myself??
    You can use that site, depending... But you will have to do some work first before you can use them as ringers..

Its relatively easy. On the "to do" list for my site is to put somekind of walk thru together for taking a wave or sound file, and turning it into a ringer.

For now, with what you have, if your copy of Nero includes the Wave Editor, you can open sound files, and trim them if needed, then when you save them, Do File-> Save As.. for "save as type" pick the PowerPack LAME MP3 encoder. Under Options, select Constant BitRate, 48Kbit, Mono. It shuold be saved in a format the phone can use.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Knotnututhis,

I just sent you an email with one of those files converted to .MP3... try it. Let me know if it works.

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Knotnututhis,

I just sent you an email with one of those files converted to .MP3... try it. Let me know if it works.
    Yes, that file worked perfectly!! Did u convert that from the file I sent u or from that site I listed??

BTW, I did notice how there was the option 2 save as ringtone that wasnt there before with the files I had. Also, yes my v. of Nero DOES have Nero Wave Editor.
    Last edited by Knotnututhis; 06-05-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that file worked perfectly!! Did u convert that from the file I sent u or from that site I listed??
    YAHOO!!!! Yes. I converted the file you sent me with Nero Wave Editor...

Launched Nero Wave Editor...
    File -> Open... (change to All Files *.* if necessary)... and open the file.

Then File -> Save As... Fill in the file name. Under Save As Type.. picked PowerPack Lame MP3 Encoder. Clicked the OPTION button. Set it for Contstant Bit Rate, 48Kbit, Mono. (If the original file was stereo, I would have left it Stereo.)

That was it. ( I could have done the same with Cool Edit Pro, or Adobe Audition, but I wanted to try with something you might have so you can do it in the future if you need to)

BTW, I did notice how there was the option 2 save as ringtone that wasnt there before with the files I had. Also, yes my v. of Nero DOES have Nero Wave Editor.
    Cool. that is the way it should be. When you send a file the phone can handle, it should give you the option to save or apply as ring tone.

Try the steps I typed above with your Nero Wave Editor and see what happens. BTW, The file will be saved as a .MP3. Play it in Winamp and check out the file info. Make sure it says Mpeg 1.0 Layer 3, and plays. If it does, you can rename it to .MID and email it to your phone.

Oh, and Nero Wave Editor will allow you to trim, apply effects, etc. also. So if you rip a song from a CD, you can cut it down and use only a selected part for your ringer file.

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thx a million Mark_Venture. Im on my way 2 the store & when I come back, Im going 2 give it a shot!! U just saved me from giving Verizon/Get It Now my $$. Actually, I told myself that I wasnt going 2 purchase anymore ringtones b/c I didnt want 2 give them my $$. Thats the primary reason the tried 2 limit the BT feature!! This country is so money hungry.

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just 2 give an update, I did successfully convert those wma files from the site I listed 2 mp3, to rename 2 Mid. I used Sony Sound Forge 7.0 instead of Nero Wave Editor 2 encode the files. Now Im done with round 1. Now round 2 is 4 me 2 learn how 2 make my own clips of mp3's from full audio tracks. Xtra thx Mark_Venture!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just 2 give an update, I did successfully convert those wma files from the site I listed 2 mp3, to rename 2 Mid. I used Sony Sound Forge 7.0 instead of Nero Wave Editor 2 encode the files. Now Im done with round 1. Now round 2 is 4 me 2 learn how 2 make my own clips of mp3's from full audio tracks. Xtra thx Mark_Venture!!
    Glad you got it working!!

If you have Sound Forge, it should be relatively easy to figure out how to make your own. Once you rip your song or sound to WAV, MP3 or whatever, open in sound forge and edit it.

Sound Forge is a powerfull editor. When you know how to use it, you can do amazing things.

Have fun!!

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I have a dvd ripped 2 a vob format, can I create a mp3 2 use as a ringtone??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If I have a dvd ripped 2 a vob format, can I create a mp3 2 use as a ringtone??
    Well, after you extract the audio from the VOB file, then open in an editor and trim it down... Yes.

Basically, using Sound Forge, CoolEdit Pro, Adobe Audition, Nero Wave Editor, etc... Any sound file those programs can open, edit/trim down and then can export to .MP3 can be used.

Its just a matter of getting them into the audio editor.

I have not yet ripped audio out of a VOB file. But I want to. I have a few music video dvd's that I want to put on audio CD or my MP3 player I just haven't had the time to see what all is needed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast