Thread: A question regarding "IMEI number analysis"

Phones
    Motorola A1200
    Samsung E730
    Nokia 6230
    Feedback Score

A question regarding "IMEI number analysis"

Hi,
    As you may already know, you can use the following url to analyze the IEMI of your phone:
    http://www.numberingplans.com/index.php?goto=imei
    The result of the IMEI analysis includes several interesting pieces of information. One of them (the third item), which is called "Reference", often results in a two letter code of a country, such as FI, GR, YE, CN, etc. I am very much curious about what this field implies? I searched the web but I've not got any clue. I am sure that it doesn't mean where the phone is made. Because there are codes of countries where there is not any Nokia's factory (e.g., YE, or SA). The Reference code of my 6230 is "GR", which stands for Greece. My phone is made in Hungary. I am puzzled what the relation between the phone and Greece is? Please do contribute if you know the answer.
    Thanks

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    The One I Work For
    Feedback Score
    the counrty code you are refering to is where the phone's market is.

Your phone was made in Hungary
    The country code in the IMEI is where the phone's intended market was.

So in the end, your phone was manufactured in Hungary; and was originally going to be sold in Greece.

Did you get the phone brand new? and if so, did you get it in Greece?
    Check My FeedBack
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...threadid=76298

Nokia: 5190, 8260, 3390, 8390, 3590, 3595, 3650, 6230b(x4), 6260, 6620, 6131, E50, 6300(x2), 6120c
    Motorola: V60i, V70, V190, RAZR(x2), V3t, K1
    Panasonic: GU87e, GD88, GD55, A100
    Sony Ericsson: T68i(x2), Z600, K700i, P900i(x2), S710, Z520a, W600i, W810i, W300i(x2), K790a
    Samsung: T809
    LG: TG800 Chocolate
    RIM: 8700, 8100(x2)

Phones
    Motorola A1200
    Samsung E730
    Nokia 6230
    Feedback Score
    @Spic
    Thank you for replying. I think you are correct. I got my phone brand new, but not from Greece. I bought in Tehran, Iran. I guess it has been imported from Dubai (UEA). Becide English letters, there are also Arabic letters on its keyboard. It is strange that if it was intended to be sold in Greece, what those Arabic letters are for (they don't need Arabic letters!)? In some IMEI analysis, the content of this Reference field becomes a long string! BTW, where is the Reference code of your phone?
    Thanks
    Last edited by rezasani; 05-24-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    The One I Work For
    Feedback Score
    keypads can always be changed

there are niche markets everywhere.
    the phone was originally going to be sold in Greece at the time of manufacturing; but sometimes those things change.

What do you mean of where is my reference code for my phone?

Phones
    Nokia E65
    Nokia 6230b
    Sony Ericsson P900
    Carrier
    CMCC
    Feedback Score
    mine says CN... i wonder what that means...

Phones
    Motorola A1200
    Samsung E730
    Nokia 6230
    Feedback Score
    @buluketek
    Apparently, your phone was intended to be exported and sold in China

Quote Originally Posted by Spic
    What do you mean of where is my reference code for my phone?
    I meant which country your phone was intended to be sold? (i.e., Greece, China, etc.); but don't worry, it is not that important. I am just trying to find out and become sure what the "Reference" field of IMEI analysis stands for. You see, what I yet don't understand is that the meaning of word "Reference" seems irrelevant to "sale target country"!
    Last edited by rezasani; 05-25-2005 at 04:22 AM.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    The One I Work For
    Feedback Score
    by "reference" it implies its intended market, but sometimes demnad for one country is greater than the "intended" country. So inventory gets moved.

So with your phone, it was intended to be sold in Greece, but due to demand, it was exported to Dubai to be sold there.

Just remember that the IMEI is hardware related; so the software and the keypad were probably changed to fit the characteristics of the Dubai market as apposed to the Greek market.

Hope this helps you out alittle further

Dave