Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Very EASY way to flash a S66 to S65

Device(s)
    S66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Very EASY way to flash a S66 to S65

OK guys and gals, I have found a very easy way to flash the S66 to S65.

Note: Standard disclaimer applies - Try at your own risk etc....

Ok here's how to do this, and I've found this method is much easier and safer than flashing with someone elses fullflash.

Download x65flasher (I can provide a link to the version I used after I get off of work tonight)

- [Recommended but not requred: backup your phone with x65flasher]

Phone must be turned off at this point.
    In x65flasher, choose your com port and speed, and click connect. It will now prompt you to turn on the phone.
    Once connected, click Advanced and choose change phone model.
    Change phone model from S66 to S65. This modifies the bootcore, which is why I recommend backing up the phone.
    Once the model has been changed, you can click disconnect, and restart the phone.
    - Explanation: Model number is stored in the bootcore as well as in the firmware. If you don't change the model number in the bootcore, and you attempt to flash the phone, you will get an error stating "Software update denied by mobile" because the firmware model number does not match the bootcore model number.

At this point, the bootcore is corrected, but the firmware will still show S66. If you go into the phone information menu that displays the phone info, it will still show the product is S66. This is because the firmware is S66, so you can't flash to S65 with the official siemens software. You can, however, flash to S65 with the WinSwup versions.
    Some of these can be found at:
    http://www.siemensmania.cz/firmware.php

I was able to flash my S66 to S65 fw50 with just these 2 steps. Worked great.
    The WinSwup will prompt you asking if you wish to flash S66 with S65 firmware, and also since the Model was changed in the bootcore, the phone will not reject this firmware.
    Once this has been done, you now can also flash to offical siemens firmware, since you now have S65 firmware installed.

Questions/Comments?

Device(s)
    S66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Also, you may wish to backup your address book with Mobile Phone Manager before flashing to a new firmware, it always deletes your address book.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So does doing this flash allow the S66 to work on 900/1800 Mhz networks? Surely not?

Device(s)
    S66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akjohnson
    So does doing this flash allow the S66 to work on 900/1800 Mhz networks? Surely not?
    No, the frequency band is hardware based and can not be changed via software.
    S66 supports 850/1800/1900

Feedback Score
    if you flashed the s66 fw34 to s65 fw43, can you just run the siemens update program to update it to fw50? or do you need to find a full flash fw50?

Device(s)
    S66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joey322
    if you flashed the s66 fw34 to s65 fw43, can you just run the siemens update program to update it to fw50? or do you need to find a full flash fw50?
    No full flash is needed, you can run the siemens update. So long as the bootcore has the model as S65 and the firmware shows the phone as being S65, which it would if the switch was successful. Its worked fine for me.

However, I did find out that it is not possible to provider/subsidy unlock the phone with a firmware in the 40+ series. I had to downgrade using my backed up S66 firmware with x65flasher. With the siemens flashers it is not possible to downgrade back into the 30-series of firmwares, its rejected by the mobile.
    I tried 41 and 43 and couldnt unlock the phone, but I down graded to S66fw34 and I now have a completely unlocked phone. Then I upgraded back to S65fw50

I used Siemens SST v5.31 for this, apparantly doesn't support unlocking in the 40+ series. I remember reading something about not being able to get boot loaders out of the 40+ series firmwares. I think goldhead mentioned it in his how-to.
    Last edited by Weeze-Dog; 05-27-2005 at 02:26 AM.

Feedback Score
    awesome. it's ok since my phone is already unlocked. then i upgraded fw34 to fw43.

Device(s)
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Great work Weeze-Dog! I was wondering why I never could upgrade the firmware with WinSwup. Now I know.
    Yeah, if you follow Weeze-Dog's guide, I would still higly recommend making a fullflash backup (using "Read Flash" in x65flasher) as the first step. And the next thing I would do would be to backup the loader generated by x65flasher and stored in the config.ini file and also backup the V_Klay loader that will appear in the V_Klay directory. Because once you flash to FW higher than 34, you will not be able to generate these loaders (well, there is a way I read now, but you have to take your phone apart and do a physical testpoint) and therefore if you lose them, you will not be able to return to your backed up fullflash. You would have to downgrade without doing a backup if you wanted to start using x65flasher or V_Klay again.
    Hmm, so this change phone model thing writes in the bootcore, eh? I would be very careful anyway, because every time your bootcore is being changed, there is a chance you will not turn on your phone again. But I guess if Weeze-Dog tried it, it should be pretty safe.
    Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joey322
    AFAIK there is no official Siemens FW50 out yet. You would have to use the WinSwup version.

Feedback Score
    thanks goldhead. i was wondering... since i was looking for it, oh well i'll wait for the offical one to come out.

Device(s)
    Siemens S66
    Feedback Score
    after doing the following above with x65flasher on my s66 I get the following error message on winswup 32 (fw50)

Error on waiting for Ack EOT

my phone is on when I click start on winswup and it shuts the phone down, but after that it just times out with the above error.

any ideas or has anyone else experienced this and fixed it?

Device(s)
    S66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Do you have a genuine siemens cable? I find that I have alot of problems with generic cables. Fashing doesn't work very well, if at all with them. You can get genuine cables on ebay for about $10 from some sellers. I got mine that way.

Device(s)
    Siemens S66
    Feedback Score
    yeah, I made sure to get a genuine cable off of Ebay before I started my FW flash. Its a genuine DCU-510 from here and it was recommened in this thread so I'm confident that my cable is good enough for this FW flash. Has anyone else come across this issue when using winSwup and a s66?
    Last edited by docjay; 05-29-2005 at 04:11 PM.

Device(s)
    S66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    That is the same cable have.
    I would suggest trying a different firmware version, and perhaps a different computer as a test.
    Make sure to download the winsup version for S65.

Also what speed settings are you using in winsup?

Device(s)
    S66
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    From googling the error, it looks like you might be using a speed that can't be supported.
    Oh yeah one more thing, you have to turn the power charging off when trying to flash, it won't work if the power on the cable is turned on.
    Last edited by Weeze-Dog; 05-29-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast