Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Very EASY way to flash a S66 to S65

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8320
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have the A950 variant with firmware 50. I just DL'd it from the http://www.siemensmania.cz/firmware.php (it's the one that has the red S and 50)

I figured this was easier than trying to guess on the siemens website. Works great-

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I updated successfully to 43. 50 is next, if it ever finishes downloading...

Quick questions, though. I want to change the soft key from "New MMS" to something else. Have you figured out how to do that? Second, is the speed dial function gone?
    Last edited by ant-dizzle; 11-17-2005 at 05:28 PM.
    I am... a true Cingularian! Are you a Cingularian too?
    Become a Cingularian by joining the Cingular Club!
    If anyone who is a Cingular Orange (Cingular-Cingluar customer)/Blue (former AT&T customer)/Yellow (former Suncom customer - in Virginia) wants to put this in their signature they can feel free to do so.
    Cingularians Unite!!!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8320
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    yeah i don't think you can change the new mms soft key. Have not been able to at least. Also it appears the " speakerphone" soft key while on a call has now been replaced by "handsfree." I cannot seem to find the "speakerphone" option available on a call now, which suks.

Also I have seemed to have lost four of my menu icons?
    Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 11-17-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the speakerphone button did change, but it'll still activate speakerphone if you press it during a call (with confirmation, which sucks). It'll probably activate a bluetooth headset too, I'm guessing they just wanted some uniformity.

And the menu icons can be fixed fairly easily. Go here: http://nlo.gsmhosting.net/tweaking/icons.php
    and follow his instructions. Apparently, you can tweak it and install your own custom icons as well. It also looks like it could be done over Bluetooth. I'll try it a little later. Let me know if the links don't work, I downloaded this months ago and saved the bookmark.

I only have one other issue. I want me menu to be totally rid of Cingular's crap (the MEdia Mall and other two links are still there, even though they don't work). Any ideas?

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I replaced the icons (and they look really nice), but some of the menu options don't work. For example, I know when I click Setup it should go to the settings menu, but it claims an xml file wasn't found. I'll play around with it, hopefully I can get something to work.

EDIT: When copying the files to your phone, DO NOT delete anything from your phone's /Config/japp/FlexMenu folder, just copy the files over and replace all. Otherwise things won't work right (as they didn't for me). Everything is awesome now.
    Last edited by ant-dizzle; 11-18-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8320
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    yeah figured out the menu icons things @ http://www.s65.info/ . It's "auf Deutsch" but it is easy to navigate by going to downloads. Tons of free icons and also some free themes as well and a link to another site with like 100 free themes (none of which would've worked with the S66 shite firmware.)

But with the s65 menu icons most/all do not have any of the cingular menu shortcuts. Sounds like you've sorted this out already but just follow same steps as your familiar with (config/japp/flexmenu) if your interested in some more icons. Themes are super easy to install (just copy file into themes folder via mpm)

It's nice to finally tweak ones phone properly.
    Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 11-18-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorla RAZR v3c
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I keep getting a screen asking me which boot method I want to use. What do I do here???

EDIT: OK i got past that part, but when I am doing the backup I am getting a lot of timeout messages...is this normal?
    Last edited by OzzieGT; 12-05-2005 at 06:09 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorla RAZR v3c
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So I updated the software but there are some issues. The main menu in the phone isn't right anymore...some of the menu items have just a plain folder icon. The cingular branding isn't gone either at startup and shutdown. Also, I can't seem to get MPM to recognize that the phone is connected anymore either. It was working fine before I updated the firmware. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I think it's the cable I am using...it's a generic cable. It works fine with v34 of my S66 firmware but after I upgraded to S65 v58 the MPM won't recognize the phone anymore. So I have reverted until I get a new cable (can't fix the icons without MPM).

Another update: I updated the icons with the new ones in the above link and it works fine on my S66 with v34! The icons are correct and they open the right items! I guess I could upgrade back to S65 v58 at this point, but I still won't be able to back up my information without a proper cable...so I am going to wait till I get a cable that works.

update again: Actually it looks like the settings menu is wrong...it seems to be pointing to a different settings menu which doesn't have all the options (like set ringtones, etc.)
    Last edited by OzzieGT; 12-05-2005 at 11:19 PM.

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    To solve the icon issue, check out www.s65.info for new icon sets (and a copy of the originals) and follow their directions to the letter (if they're in another language, just post back here and I'll instruct you). I did, and the menu totally changed, it's more like the S46 I had and loved way back on AT&T. The settings menu and everything did change, as did many other menus. But things are fairly easy to get used to, as all the same stuff is still there, just probably named slightly differently. And you lose the speed dial option that was set to hotkey 5, which kinda sucks. But yeah, go ahead and update to v58, I've had no problems with it so far in the past two-three weeks or so. Enough rambling, Any other questions feel free to ask.

Device(s)
    Siemens S46
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Does this work with a USB data cable or do you need a serial one???? (thanks)

Device(s)
    Motorla RAZR v3c
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant-dizzle
    The settings menu and everything did change, as did many other menus. But things are fairly easy to get used to, as all the same stuff is still there, just probably named slightly differently. .
    Well I could no longer figure out how to set my ringtones with the new icon set so that is why I switched back. I am guessing I could probably compare the main.fs from both versions and combine them together to get the custom experience I want, so I will do that once I have a better cable. (My current cable works fine with v34 but once I upgrade to v58 MPM no longer recognizes the phone. I also can't upgrade to S66 v54 from siemens's website with my current cable)

Device(s)
    RAZR V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    so i feel like an idiot asking this, but can someone please send me a link to a proper cable to get on ebay? i know to look for a dca-510, although they all appear to be generic. i cant seem to find an original siemens. Thanks!

Device(s)
    SE W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't appear to make a difference. I did mine with a generic cable. As long as it's designed for the x65 series and up I think you should be okay.

Device(s)
    RAZR V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I have done a fair amount of research on this site and some others and still cannot seem to get my s66 flashed to an s65. I have the correct com port and speed in x65 flasher. When my phone is plugged in and i turn it on, a "boot menu" comes up, prompting me to generate a boot password. After this is done, a message appears telling me that "my phone is ready to be flashed." The problem is that x65 flasher never allows me to do any of the "advanced" functions. All of the buttons are greyed out except for the "connect" button, which just loops me back to the boot menu. The only difference now is that my boot passwrod is listed. I've even tried the x65 OD program but that gives me an error message when i try to run it. Is there a problem with my x65 flasher version? (v 1.072). Is my cable problematic?

Feedback Score
    Which File Do I Download - I Dont Understand Chezk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast