Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Verizon Wireless to merge with Alltell?

Phones
    Siemens S 55
    LG VX4400
    LG VX2000
    Carriers
    o2 Deutschland, T-Mobile Deutschland
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score

If . . .

What would happen of Alltel, Western Wireless and USCellular were to merge . . . hmmm . . . here's a quick and dirty map just for fun . . .

There are some areas where coverage overlaps. Of course, there are probably PCS license and spectrum that has been sold off, etc . . . But it looks like USCC + WW + Alltel could be a very good national provider (provided they were able to pick up some PCS licenses in several major markets.

This is a derivative work of XFF's maps from Wireless Wavelength

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotpoint76
    How many customers do the different wireless co's have? Can anyone post a top ten list?
    Code:
     1. Cingular Wireless        50.369 M (Mar 2005)
     2. Verizon Wireless         45.452 M (Mar 2005)
     3. Sprint PCS               25.975 M (Mar 2005)*
     4. T-Mobile                 18.271 M (Mar 2005)
     5. Nextel Communications    15.543 M (Mar 2005)#
     6. Alltel Communications     8.801 M (Mar 2005)
     7. United States Cellular    5.127 M (Mar 2005)
     8. Dobson Cellular Systems   1.590 M (Mar 2005)
     9. Leap Wireless             1.540 M (Sep 2004)
    10. Western Wireless          1.395 M (Dec 2004)
    * Sprint PCS figure includes direct customers, resale customers, and affiliate customers (Horizon PCS, Ubiquitel, Alamosa PCS, etc.)
    # Nextel Communications figure does not include 1.474 M Boost Mobile customers.
    Last edited by XFF; 06-01-2005 at 03:05 PM.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    Nokia 6256i
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    who gets #9 and #10 spot when WWC/Alltel merger and Sprint Nextel
    I am also a proud owner of a Bell System IMTS phone with rotery dail and a UHF transmitter from 1977!

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agentHibby
    who gets #9 and #10 spot when WWC/Alltel merger and Sprint Nextel
    metroPCS will become #9 and Suncom Wireless will become #10.

Phone
    Motorola VE20; Blackberry Tour 9630, Pearl 8120
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronhurd
    What would happen of Alltel, Western Wireless and USCellular were to merge . . . hmmm . . . here's a quick and dirty map just for fun . . .

There are some areas where coverage overlaps. Of course, there are probably PCS license and spectrum that has been sold off, etc . . . But it looks like USCC + WW + Alltel could be a very good national provider (provided they were able to pick up some PCS licenses in several major markets.

This is a derivative work of XFF's maps from Wireless Wavelength
    Map is missing a few things.
    USCC has service in: St. Louis, Chicago, Portland ME, Oklahoma City, Northern Indiana, Rochester MN; and the licencing for the majority of IL, IA, IN (including Indy), VT, NH; and i belive just bought the rights for the Twin Cities, and a few places out east (i think they may have bought the other portland too)
    Use what works for you!

I have too many phones, with too many carriers. This is not a good thing.
    The Fleet:
    Blackberry 8100, 8120, 9630
    Motorola: V60t, V120x, StarTac 7787, T731c, V551, V810, V3m, Z6m, Q
    Nokia: 8260, 6161i, 3100b, 3220b, 8860, 3585, 6101, 6200, 6820, 6230b, 5300
    LG: VX4400, VX6000, VX10, VX2000, UX565
    Kyocera 2235
    Sony-Ericsson T637
    Samsung SCH-a670, SGH-T219
    HTC Dash

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CkZX2
    Map is missing a few things.
    USCC has service in: St. Louis, Chicago, Portland ME, Oklahoma City, Northern Indiana, Rochester MN; and the licencing for the majority of IL, IA, IN (including Indy), VT, NH; and i belive just bought the rights for the Twin Cities, and a few places out east (i think they may have bought the other portland too)
    The map only reflects cellular license areas. All the markets you named off are PCS license areas.

Phone
    Motorola VE20; Blackberry Tour 9630, Pearl 8120
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    The map only reflects cellular license areas. All the markets you named off are PCS license areas.
    Correct, but imagine how impressive it would look with the PCS areas shaded in too.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's just uscc's Cellular licenses.

Keep the Faith,

Lance

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CkZX2
    Correct, but imagine how impressive it would look with the PCS areas shaded in too.
    True, but the problem is that PCS licenses are hardly indicative of available coverage whereas cellular licenses usually are. Just think, Sprint PCS (and its affiliates) hold PCS licenses for the entire United States, but everyone knows that Sprint coverage is far from ubiquitous.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tburke261
    This would be a perfect marriage as Alltel has coverage in a few places Verizon needs it and it would also allow verizon to pull ahead in the numbers game. I seriously hope it works out.
    Dan
    TX, USA

Carriers
    StarHub
    Feedback Score
    True, but the problem is that PCS licenses are hardly indicative of available coverage whereas cellular licenses usually are. Just think, Sprint PCS (and its affiliates) hold PCS licenses for the entire United States, but everyone knows that Sprint coverage is far from ubiquitous.
    Well, yes, but there are some very good 1900 networks now. For example, U.S. Cellular's Chicago-area (ex-PrimeCo) network is solid. It's U.S. Cellular's headquarters city, after all.

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Black
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You looked at the wrong map. The Total Freedom and National Freedom maps are rate plan maps, not indicative of native ALLTEL coverage. Just like VZW uses roaming partners to flesh out its America's Choice footprint, ALLTEL users (mostly the same) roaming partners to flesh out its Total Freedom and National Freedeom footprints. The correct native ALLTEL coverage map to look at is here.

And yes, ALLTEL does cover pretty much the entire state of Kansas. This is actually one of their strongholds due to the acquisition of Liberty Cellular in 1999.
    Actually in kansas it was the acquisition of Kansas Cellular that gave them the network here in ks

Jeff
    HoFo Feedback

Phones
    NOKIA 6620
    lg vx 8100
    motorola e815
    Carriers
    cingular (orange)
    Feedback Score
    I hope this does get done cause then verizon could offer native service here and local exchanges for me. Although native service should be here this year once city council approves the permit for a verizon wireless antenna on the water tower a couple blocks away. I think i will call verizon tomorrow to find out about the local exchange question and keep getting bumped up until i find someone that knows about the antenna and if they are going to issue local numbers here soon.

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Moto L2 & L6, Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agentHibby
    If Alltel as it is now it is possible, but VZW said they were not intrested before the WWC/Alltel merger was annouced.

If WWC/Alltel happens there will be no way VZW will be able to aquire Alltel reason. VZW and Alltel have tons of rural areas where they are the only providers or the biggest by far.
    The massive rural overlap (especially after WWCA comes into the picture) is certainly a factor that would rule against VZW buying Alltel (either just the wireless business or the company as a whole), but IMO, the bigger thing to keep in mind with Alltel is that they are not exclusively a wireless company.

a) Alltel is unlikely to sell only their wireless business, as it would leave them a much smaller, wireline-only company, with more limited opportunities to grow. If they were to do so, Alltel could get back into wireless via a MVNO arrangement like Qwest has and CenturyTel is doing, of course.

b) Verizon Communications will almost certainly NOT take Alltel as a whole -- Verizon doesn't want the wireline business. (Verizon has been actively *selling off* rural wireline properties -- in some cases, such as Kentucky, *to Alltel*.)

-SC
    red: / yellow: / pink: / orange: / Little Rock blue: / Metro: uh, no.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3