Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My V635 review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My V635 review:

I've been using the Motorola V635 for about 3 weeks now give or take, and would like to throw up my finding on the unit.
    This is a Rogers retail unit running R474_G_08.48.4BR.8_RG software with a flex os GSPFIJIRGR01NA0E4-1.0.6.3.D.B.0.G3.D.2.B2.0.1.0.D5.E6.A.0.F7.BZ PHEW!
    so let's kick things off.

Reception
    First and foremose, the V600 this phone is NOT
    It works well, has great RF. It passed the Cantina test with flying colours and as per usual from moto, sounded great while doing so. I have also found that unlike the V551, it really doesn't matter how you hold the phone. It seems to perform regardless. Now, I would still recommend not touching or blocking the antenna if at all possible as that just makes sense.
    between the excellent RF, the Rogers AMR codec, and network integration it's getting hard to pick winners. Rest assured, the V635 is a winner.

Sound quality
    Sound quality is typical. I like it. just enough treble + just enough bass = Motorola. They have mastered the art of phones that sound well. the V635 won't disappoint. Out of the box I find the earpiece volume to be excellent, and if you find it to low there's always that good old seem editing to up it a touch. I also found the stock ringtone and speaker phone volumes to suffice as well, but more is better so I seemed them up to 2. FYI to the seemers out there, I have found 2 to be max on the V635.. 3 starts to distort the ringtone and speakerphone to the point of annoyance. It's a personal choice anyway so play around.

Camera
    The V635 marks the first Moto megapixel model available on Rogers. The camera itself takes good pictures and has a Led light to assist in low light situations. The only issue I have with the flash is that when the flip is fully extended, the light causes a white out effect in the picture because the light is lighting up the back housing and antenna. This is easily corrected by pulling the flip back a bit so the light doesn't reflect off the back but i find this minor oversight on moto's part to be a little annoying. Nonetheless, it still takes a good picture. See attached for pics of what i'm talking about for the flip, and Mpix images so you can see the quality yourself

images of the flash/flip
    here you see the flash lights up the back housing, this is what causes the whte out effects on images taken w/ flash in low light situations

here you see the flip is tilted back enough so that the back housing doesn't light up with the flash. This will eliminate the white out effects on images taken and make a remarkable difference.

General 640x480 and MPIX images taken with V635

Old school DPC550 display, 640x480

Old school DPC550 display. 1.3mpix

1.3mpix, mid day. yummy

1.3mpix, low light outside on patio, Chaucher.

Video
    the phone can also take Video with 2 resolutions. 128x96 and176x144.
    it's pretty much your standard fair Video capture like the 6620 V551. nice to have, but not exactly making Vid cams fear for their existence

External memory
    Speaking of the Camera, you can only take and save the 1.2mpix images on the TF card. You can't save 1.2mpix images on the phone itself. Furthremore the TF card inculded in the box is a SanDisk 32 meg unit whould should be fine for the average user. If you're planning on using the V635 as a MP3 player you'll definately need a larger TF since 32megs won't cover it*

*See Mp3 section further below

The location of the TF card is also good. In my opinion, having it under the mail rail is great since you don't have to pull the battery out to remove the card if you wanted to load the TF card into the SD adaptor (included in box) to add/remove media from the card. however, why would you.. Motorla/Rogers includes the USB cable anyway so when you plug the phone into the cable(included in box) and into the PC you get instand virtual drive access to all the contents on the TF card.

one oddity, you can't use MP3's as ringtones if they're saved on the TF card. This is probably done since the phone may not be quick enough acessing them from the card prior tothe phone ringing. nonetheless, you'll have to move your MP3 ringtone to the phone when you want to use it.

MP3 Player
    I never use any of my phones as MP3 players, so to me it's a feature I really don't care about. However, the MP3 player is a java app and is slow to load, and is pretty cumbersome to use. Not only that, but it seems that any MP3 file that is of a higher bitrate then 128kb/s will skip along and not play smoothly. I say the MP3 player is poor for those of you who actually want to use that function. Then again, I feel all phone MP3 players are poor quite frankly but it's your call.

Box contents
    This phone is loaded up with goodies in the box:
    >Moto genuine USB cable
    >32 meg TF card
    >TF to SD card sled
    >Stereo headsets
    >Moto rapid charger
    all for $249.99 on a 3 year term.. quite good.
    I really do wish moto would include, or at least make readily availble the motorla phone tools. You have to have MPT to sync with outlook.

Bluetooth taken from V3/V551 reviews since nothing changed.

Range
    Just like the V500/V600/V3 the BT is moto standard issue.
    The range is good, It’s similar to that of the V3 in that I was able to walk outside of my store and maintain a call using the same HS820 I had used when I tested the V3 RAZR. It was breaking up, but this is a test of extremities. Under normal BT conditions it’ll work well for you and it will work as to what we’ve come to expect from Bluetooth.

Synch
    The V551 synchs just as easily usint BT and mobile phone tools.
    Oddly though, MPT doesn’t display the V551 graphic for the control panel, even after I ran a live update. “phone image not available” This isn’t a big problem because it’s just a picture and you don’t lose any functionality, but I felt it worth mentioning so people don’t go nuts trying to set up MPT thinking the V551 picture would need to show up for a successful set up.

You can also set up the speed dials 1 – 9 just as easily as the V3 using MPT, but it’s still a confusing process and I wish Motorola would simplify that.

BT pairings (taken from V3 review)
    Of course, operating in a similar way to the V600 has it's advantages. Namely, the V3 can have it's Bluetooth turned on all the time and other's can't see you (similar to SE's Bluetooth implementation of "hidden") what does that mean to you? you can leave BT on all the time and use it with your headsets/PC's/PDA's/carkits and never have to worry about being "bluejacked" or "bluesnarfed" as others just won't see you when they scan.

Headset use (taken from V3 review)
    the V3 still has that quirk where when using a BT headset it'll default to the "continental" ringtone and SMS defaults to the one beep. now, why it does that, beats me, but it's better then the V600 (prior to the FW flashes/flexes) where it wouldn't ring/beep at all on the handset and only the BT headset would make sounds.

I still don't like the Motorola/Nokia way of headset use and handsets though... If I get an incoming call, and press SEND on the handset, logically, i'd want the phone to pick up, not the headset. I can see both sides of this argument though where some users feel that the headset is a physical extension of the phone, and as such a BT headset should act the same way as a corded headset considering a corded headset you can press send/end on the phone and it'll control the call.

However, I feel that they should incorporate a choice into the BT software. Let me pick what mode I want to run my headset in. I prefer pressing Send on the phone and getting the call on the phone and pressing the answer button on the headset, and getting the call on the headset. Perhaps that's just me, however, I still would like to see Motorola/Nokia match SE with respect to BT headset use on this one.
    IT just makes it for an awkward first few seconds when you answer, then have to press menu, and then “use handset” if you want to use the handset instead of the BT headset.

Aesthetics

overall look on external handset
    The phone has a nice clean look to it. I personally like the look of it a lot better then that of the V600, however, I have heard some people say they don't like it.. So again, it's personal taste.
    The V635 is also a heavy handset. I personally like heavy handsets. they denote a feeling of worth similar to the feeling you get holding a nokia 8800

look and feel of internal handset
    the keypad is simply light years better then that of the V600 and even bests the already good V551. I personally love the tactile feel of the V635's keypad and the look also agrees with me.
    The screen is also key. This screen works amazing well outside in direct sunlight since it's a Transflective display. you'll be able to see it in direct sunlight as well

Menu
    same as V551, so i'll cut and paste from that.
    however, the TF card implementation of the menu is new. One must always be aware of what they're looking at when in the meia gallery since you can store images/ringtones on the phone AND the TFcard.

Typical Moto.
    Love it or leave it.
    It is faster however then the previous based triplets SW series.
    And of course, the customizability of Moto phones is still industry leading. You can assign any feature you like to a shortcut sequence of menu + number which makes navigating real easy.

phonebook
    Nothing new to report.. it's still the weakest part of the phone IMHO.
    the Moto phonebook is starting to get loon in the tooth and i really want to see this changed to that of the IDEN line or even the way SE/Nok implments their phonebooks.
    refer to my V551 review for more on the phonebook, since it's the same

There has been one addition however,
    the V635 phonebook allows you to search names.
    so instead of pressing A and scrolling through all the A's you can now spell Andrew and jump directly there. However, it's either or as you can't have both ways working

Battery
    Battery life is also good. I rate batteries on the day scale.
    If the phone can survive a day of me with calls, wap posting, MMS and SMS use I rate it good. The v635 easily survives a day from 9am until around 2am before I start getting the low battery warnings. If you're the type of person who like to charge every 2/3 days this phone should carry with average use. Then again, it's just so hard to rate average use so ask around other people with the V635 what they feel. Like I said. I kill mine daily and it survives the day so to me that's good.

Ratings:
    Performance...............9
    Build quality..............9
    Battey life.................7
    Features for $...........10
    Software...................8
    Camera.....................7

Overall..................9

Pros
    *Excellent RF
    *Excellent build quality
    *Great sound quality/clarity
    *Excellent price point
    *Great Screen
    *Excellent features for the money.
    *Metal metal metal
    *easy access TF media
    *retail kit includes a lot
    *Quadband/bluetooth for the world traveller
    *EDGE for sending/receiving MMS/Email
    *can use TF card media as wallpaper

Cons
    *same phonebook
    *Menu speed, while improved, still lags
    *slow ITAP
    *no Moto phone tools in box (have to have MPT for synching w/ outlook)
    *Flash reflects off back of housing
    *can't assign MP3 ringtones if MP3 resides on TF card
    *Can't take 1.2mpix images with TF card vacant
    Last edited by Treatz; 06-02-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8520
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That camera is PRO!

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i (HTC Kovsky)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada) | Vodaphone (Australia) | M1 (Singapore) | AIS One-2-Call (Thailand) | AT&T (USA)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (RIM BB 7510: BlackBerry7510/4.0.0 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Excellent write up!! How's battery life?

Device(s)
    HP 6955
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Treatz, this sounds like the perfect phone for the wife.

P.S.
    I remember reading a while back that you were testing the HP 6325. When can we expect a review on that one and what are your impressions so far?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 5gb
    Feedback Score
    Great review

Major bummage for those who love ringtones

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt
    Great review

Major bummage for those who love ringtones
    You just move it over to the phone memory. it's not like it can't do MP3 at all, it just can't use MP3 if you have them saved on the TF card

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 5gb
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by treatz
    You just move it over to the phone memory. it's not like it can't do MP3 at all, it just can't use MP3 if you have them saved on the TF card
    I know, but that's time consuming/wastes space.

ANother question, can SMSes and whatnot, be stored to TF instead of phone memory?

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Samsung Galaxy S3, S2 (BRICKED), HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    Canada-Wide Super 6GB
    Feedback Score
    to paraphrase Mayor Larry Campbell (of Vancouver, for those of you not in the 604), the v635 kicks the living *** off the Telu$ v710 -- those pics look great.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I know, but that's time consuming/wastes space.

ANother question, can SMSes and whatnot, be stored to TF instead of phone memory?

Ya, it's a pain.. but it's the same story on some 6230's anyway when using larger then 128 meg MMC cards as well.. had to transfer tone to hpone memory for it to work reliably.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AM Radio
    to paraphrase Mayor Larry Campbell (of Vancouver, for those of you not in the 604), the v635 kicks the living *** off the Telu$ v710 -- those pics look great.
    come on!
    the Mayor said that?

that's hilarious
    is there a link to him saying this somewhere?

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i (HTC Kovsky)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Canada) | Vodaphone (Australia) | M1 (Singapore) | AIS One-2-Call (Thailand) | AT&T (USA)
    Feedback Score
    Just add some info for you guys

companies which offer transflash are the following:

Sandisk 64MB, 128MB (33.99 @ Tigerdirect.ca), 256MB (47.99 @ Tigerdirect.ca)

thats all i can find at present

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 5gb
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by treatz
    come on!
    the Mayor said that?

that's hilarious
    is there a link to him saying this somewhere?
    I'm sure our Mel Lastman had more memorable quotes

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm sure our Mel Lastman had more memorable quotes
    ya, but not about a phone and a debate that rages on here on hofo..V635 vs V710.

LOLZ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast