Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: [Tutorials] - - CDM8940

Device(s)
    CDM8940
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

[Tutorials] - - CDM8940

This is a full tutorial for the Audiovox CDM8940! Thanks to SouthernFlower's Post I got some of the tedious work cut out!
    Ringtones, MP3's, Pictures, Movies, & Free Web

To connect the phone to the computer through USB:

1. buy a radioshack cable #28 for snapdialer link

2. download the curitel USB drivers from the forums on groups.yahoo.com
    Group 1 8900
    Group 2 8940

Once in the group go to the files section. Scroll down and you will find the drivers there.

3. plug in the phone

4. when it asks for the driver point it to the extacted drivers from the curitel zip file.

Loading the drivers is a slightly long process. When it asks for the driver location point back to the files you downloaded. It will keep asking you if you want to install them. It looks like you are installing the same drivers over and over again but I think there are just many various parts to the drivers. Just keep saying yes and installing them until it finishes up.

5. download QPST software (Mod Edit: Links have been removed in accordance to our no warez policy. To obtain these files, please do a Google search, but be advised that QPST can only be licenced to authorized service technicians).
    6. install it, rebooting is not necessary.

7. find the COM port the phone is installed on. you can do this with 'device manager' in the 'System' control panel. look under modems. right click and get properties. click advanced > advanced port settings to find the COM port.

8. Go to QPST configuration tool.

9. add the COM port for the phone (you found this in step 8) to the configuration. If you couldn't find it in step 8 just start putting in all the COM ports you have.

the port the phone is on is different then the port for the modem so be patient and try ports close to the port listed! if your phone says COM4 then your modem could be on COM3

11. click 'EFS explorer' under 'start clients' menu option

12. select your phone

Transfering Pictures from Phone to Computer

1. browse to 'brew > shared > jpeg'

2. right click files and click 'Copy from phone' to download

Transfering Ringtones from your Computer to Phone

1. go to 'user > sound > ringtone'

2. Add your ringtone to the ringtone folder (it can be a .mp3!)

3. Re-boot phone

4. ::important!:: Go to Get It Now. Then go to buying ringtones. Keep going until you get to the step where you buy the ringtone (where it shows you the prices), stop and the exit Get It Now. ringtone will now appear in the tones folder.

Transfering Wallpapers from your Computer to Phone

1. go to 'brew > shared > wallpapers'

2. Add wallpaper (size that worked for me was 179 x 205)

picture size can go all the way up to 960x1280

3. Re-boot phone

4. ::important:: Go to Get It Now. go to "get pix" and go all the way thro like you're going to buy a wallpaper (stop where it lists the prices) and then exit. Your wallpapers will show up in your images download folder

Transfering Animated Gif's from your Computer to Phone

1. email the gif to [email protected] as an attachment

this is the only way i've been able to get animated gif's on my phone!

Transfering Videos from your Computer to Phone

1. download and install STOIK Video Converter 2.0

2. find a video of any length, the only exception is that it has to be .wmv! i haven't gotten anything but .wmv to work on this phone and i haven't yet successfully converted .mpg or .avi to .wmv so my tip is to stick with what works and i'm sure later in the thread someone will give you some feedback!

3. open STOIK, enter the input file and name and location for the output file. goto output format and edit profile. use the following settings! these settings have been optimized between me and 3 other users!

VIDEO:
    Frame size: 160x120
    Frame rate: 15 Computer
    Buffer Window: 5000ms
    Video codec: Windows Media Video 9
    Quality: slider all the way to the right
    Bitrate: 156 K
    Key-frame spacing: 10
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE VBR UNCHECKED

AUDIO:
    Buffer Window: 5000ms
    Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio 9.1
    Audio Format: 48 kbps, 44kHz, mono CBR

4. open the EFS Explorer (QPST Software). goto 'brew > 12513 > downloads' and add the file to that folder!

5. Re-boot phone and goto 'Video Clips'. even if you don't have VCast in your area you need to do this step! if VCast is available enter and exit, if its not the message will display "Advanced Network Unavailable", exit. the videos will now show up if you go to "Media Gallery" then "Flix".

Transferring MP3's from your Computer to Your SD Card!

1. put the card in your phone.

2. restart your phone.

3. goto "Settings" "Security" (your code initially is your last 4 digits of your phone number!) "SD Card" "Format"

4. place your SD card in a smartcard reader

5. goto "2A..." (folder name varies) "MP3" and just drop your MP3's on there!

6. be sure to restart your phone after you insert the card or else you won't see your MP3's!

recommendation, set your phone to save your pictures and video to your SD card! however, when it is time to transfer you have to send the pix to your phone first!

Setting up FREE Web

1. Dial, YES DIAL, ##browser and then hit the red call end button!

2. goto http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html and get 2 IP's with port 80 or 8080.

3. set the "UP Proxy IP" for "UP Link1,2,3" to "AP1-IP" and "AP2-IP" where ap1 is your first ip and ap2 is your second ip. be sure to enter the ports for each also!

4. set the "Host Config" "Host Name" to whatever you choose to use! i've gotten:

wap.google.com
    wap.yahoo.com
    wap.ebay.com

5. enter the "Port Number" under "Host Config" to whatever port 80 or 8080 according to the UP Links that you chose!

6. delete the "Auth ID" and "Auth PW"!

7. open your web browser!

As far as the battery life of this phone goes... Buy an extended life battery! Other than that this is the best phone I've owned in 8 years of cell phone use! Have fun everyone! Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by Moderator HF 6; 01-15-2006 at 01:18 AM.

Feedback Score

free wap works!!

Thank you so much!! just followed ur directions to free wap and it works!! just one question. how do i enter a URL when lets say im on wap.yahoo.com site. is there a shortcut for entering URL?

Device(s)
    CDM8940
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    NO, but if you can get www.tagtag.com to work then you can customize the links you have! Check them out! You gotta do some hex editing in order to get their site to work. Pamela80 knows how, maybe she will post some instructions here!

Feedback Score

Instructions please..

Pamela80, please post the instructions for hex edit. thank you

Carrier(s)
    Slaved to Verizon because of INCalling & my family plan :)
    Feedback Score
    Heh, you called?
    I didn't hex the files though, my friend did. I'll give a link to get them, but read this first.
    -Make sure you backup your nvup folder FIRST with bitpim.
    -Make sure you have the webpage you really want first as your homepage because it's a pain to change everything back again.
    -To change your page, you have to put your original nvup folder back on, then overwrite it with the changed files again.

http://geocities.com/vox8940/8940hpfixed.zip

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    this sucks that this phone is already verizons most expensive. Then you have to buy cables and a mini sd card. Ugh. Anywho...my question is with qpst, what do i do with these files from pamela? Just stick them in the nvup folder? How do i edit the homepage?

Feedback Score
    How the heck do you dial ##browser? Type in ## and the word browser or ## and click left to go to browser?

Device(s)
    Audiovox CDM8910
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Crap-tasticness
    Feedback Score
    ##2769737 (that spells browser... duh)

and just so you guys know, the web browser settings work for the CDM8910 as well...

just takes some common sense (which most people on here DON'T have) to figure out the differences in menus..

Can't wait to get the data cable so I can really mess things up, lol

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

just checked out your post and it looks great! glad it became a sticky!! and also glad I could help!

Carrier(s)
    Slaved to Verizon because of INCalling & my family plan :)
    Feedback Score
    Just put the files into the nvup folder.. then when you start your browser, it will ask you what you want your homepage to be and you just manually enter it

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    any one got a good site for cheap data cables? most on the web are like 25+. I got some for my vx8000 on ebay for 7 dollars.

Feedback Score

Caller Id Pictures

I have assigned pictures to caller IDs but I dont see them at any point when receiving or making a call. Anyone else have this problem?

Device(s)
    CDM8940
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nucci
    I have assigned pictures to caller IDs but I dont see them at any point when receiving or making a call. Anyone else have this problem?
    you have to set the phone to answer on flip to off! you only see the pictures on the main screen. we haven't figured out how to get pix on the front lcd YET....

Device(s)
    Audiovox CDM8900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pamela80
    Heh, you called?
    I didn't hex the files though, my friend did. I'll give a link to get them, but read this first.
    -Make sure you backup your nvup folder FIRST with bitpim.
    -Make sure you have the webpage you really want first as your homepage because it's a pain to change everything back again.
    -To change your page, you have to put your original nvup folder back on, then overwrite it with the changed files again.

http://geocities.com/vox8940/8940hpfixed.zip
    What hex editor did your friend use? Bitpim will let me view but that's it. Been using plain ol' notepad for editing but not all characters translate to valid ascii and get a lot of blocks. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s0urc3d
    you have to set the phone to answer on flip to off! you only see the pictures on the main screen. we haven't figured out how to get pix on the front lcd YET....
    Ok thanks that works. So there is no way to see the picture when making a call?
    has anyone figured out how to get the picture on the front LCD?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast