Thread: Which provider has best coverage in SouthEast USA?

Phones
    SE TM506!!
    Nokia 3220
    Nokia 6133
    Carrier
    T mobile
    Feedback Score

Which provider has best coverage in SouthEast USA?

Hello,
    I'm in the search for a new cell company/changing service to the same company. Right now I have a T-mobile and an AT&T. Recently the AT&T phone broke and it is hard to find any AT&T TDMA phones, so I'm thinking about switching to T-mobile since it has served me everywhere I've gone and also TDMA is being phased out. I want a family share play, and T-mobile has the cheapest family plan for $50/month but I was wondering on how limited the coverage really is. The main problem is price, but for $50/month I've got some leg room to pay for roaming charges compared to $60/month everywhere else. Thanks

Phones
    LG Decoy VX8610
    Motorola i450
    Motorola v325 (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless (primary)
    Feedback Score
    For coverage on your T-Mobile for areas you are interested in
    http://www.t-mobile.com/locator.asp?...***%3Dcoverage

For the best coverage in the region, I would go with Verizon Wireless. Have used in traveling thru southern VA, eastern TN, NC, SC, GA, and FL, and coverage in nearly all populated places and many very rural areas, even the Everglades when friends Cingular phone lost service. Coverage in the mountains is troublesome for any carrier, especially had problems in northern GA, but if you go to the mountains and rural areas often, Verizon would serve you better overall, though won't have coverage in all places. In few places in SE USA went where there was roaming, the signal was not usuable to make a call. If you need service everywhere (outside that is), then satellite phone which is pricey.

As far as minutes with each carrier, compare the carrier's respective websites. Generally though, the rule goes, better coverage, less minutes.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile's rural coverage is far less than other carriers'. I suggest you look at www.roamer1.org. In general the two carriers with the most coverage in the SE US are Cingular and Alltel. Most of Verizon's native coverage in the SE is 1900 MHz PCS and in many areas you will just roam on Alltel.

Of course, you titled your question "Coverage" but then broke off into a discussion of pricing, which is a whole different kettle of fish.
    Donald Newcomb

Phones
    SE TM506!!
    Nokia 3220
    Nokia 6133
    Carrier
    T mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ah ok. I was always thinking T-mobile had almost all of the US covered, though I can't remmeber where I read it. Wow that roamer1 site is great . Nothing I trust more than firsthand experience and looks like Cingular, T-mobile, and Verizon are all good in my area. So hard to decide .

This is off topic, but out of these 3, do any of them offer use of the cell phone as a modem and only using your minutes? Thanks

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmies
    This is off topic, but out of these 3, do any of them offer use of the cell phone as a modem and only using your minutes? Thanks
    T-Mobile does at 9600 baud. It used to be standard on all accounts. I think there's a trick with Verizon where you can do it too but I don't know the details.

Phones
    SE TM506!!
    Nokia 3220
    Nokia 6133
    Carrier
    T mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb
    T-Mobile does at 9600 baud. It used to be standard on all accounts. I think there's a trick with Verizon where you can do it too but I don't know the details.
    Ah I see. I'm really liking T-mobile at the moment . gonna get some more info about this.

Phone
    Audiovox 5600
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Cingular is not in Va (my mom moved there a year ago, she had to break her contract with Cingular). They told her she would be in breach of her contract if her phone was used more the two weeks in Va.
    She switched to Verizon, but her (and many friends) say service in spotty everywhere in southern Va.

Phones
    SE TM506!!
    Nokia 3220
    Nokia 6133
    Carrier
    T mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phrmctcls
    Cingular is not in Va (my mom moved there a year ago, she had to break her contract with Cingular). They told her she would be in breach of her contract if her phone was used more the two weeks in Va.
    She switched to Verizon, but her (and many friends) say service in spotty everywhere in southern Va.
    thanks for the info

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phrmctcls
    Cingular is not in Va (my mom moved there a year ago, she had to break her contract with Cingular).
    Was this before the merger of Cingular and ATTWS? I checked Stanley Cline's website and it looks like Cingular has PCS service in almost every market in Virginia.