Thread: What does the Restricted Caller ID mean?

Phone
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

What does the Restricted Caller ID mean?

I've wondered this for quite some time. 3 of my good friends all have Altell and they are the only ones that call me with Altell and everyone of them come up Restricted on my phone (VX6000). Cingular or TMo callers are fine, they come up with their name and number as it should, but all Altell callers come up Restricted even if they are in my Contact List. Any idea why that would be? I know for sometime you could dial something before the number that would block the caller ID but my buddies just dial my number.

Phones
    Bionic, Thunderbolt, iPhone4, Droid X, Incredible, Droid, Devour, Omnia II, Tour, Storm, Curve,
    Pearl, Touch, Q9m, Dare, Voyager,
    Chocolate, Flipshot, Juke, Mobi, Alias, Boulder, Razr, 2128i, VX7000
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flybub
    I've wondered this for quite some time. 3 of my good friends all have Altell and they are the only ones that call me with Altell and everyone of them come up Restricted on my phone (VX6000). Cingular or TMo callers are fine, they come up with their name and number as it should, but all Altell callers come up Restricted even if they are in my Contact List. Any idea why that would be? I know for sometime you could dial something before the number that would block the caller ID but my buddies just dial my number.
    There are 3 possibilities for display with Caller ID:

Caller ID - shows the number or the number and name if the number is in your contacts list.

No Caller ID - usually shows as "unavailable" - is the same as "unknown" or "out of area" on a landline - usually because the "switch" they are calling from is not Caller ID ready or compatible.

Restricted - usually shows as "restricted" or "blocked" - Caller ID information is blocked - either by the caller or by the system they are calling from.

Maybe the default on Alltel is to block all Caller ID information - Perhaps your friends have the option to "turn it on" much like we have the option to "turn off" Caller ID for our VZW numbers.
    Last edited by Smuuth; 06-16-2005 at 10:59 PM.
    Member, Verizon Wireless Customer Council