Thread: Phones with External Antenna Port

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Phones with External Antenna Port

Hello,

I'm curious what CDMA phones that US Cellular currently has available with an external antenna port. I am told the VX-6100 has one, I know my VX-4400 does. I'm trying to help a friend on US Cellular find a phone which has the external antenna jack which we can connect up to an outside antenna.
    She will be in some poor signal areas and the external antenna will help solve reception problems.

Thanks,

John

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Motorola V262, V265, and V710 do.

Feedback Score
    List of currently (non-retired) available phones:

Kyocera: Phantom, SoHo, Slider, Koi, 7135
    Motorola: V262, V265, V710
    Nokia: 6019i, 6585
    LG: LX5550, VX6100
    Audiovox: 8910

Out of those, the Nokia's don't have the port, and I was unable to look at an 8910 (but the 8900 has one) or a 7135, so I'm not sure about those. The rest all have a port. Mind you, these aren't universal ports, so the other question is will you be able to find an adaptor to fit your phone? That one I'm not sure.

Keep the Faith,

Lance

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Sprint Overdrive, at&t USB Shockwave, Verizon MiFi 2
    I'm a data nut!
    Carriers
    at&t, Cellular South, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Audiovox ports stink and the Slider adapter from Wilson Electronics has been discontinued.......Most Kyocera ports are good and Motos ports are usually excellent!

Phone
    Snap!!!
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tearsonurcheek
    List of currently (non-retired) available phones:

Kyocera: Phantom, SoHo, Slider, Koi, 7135
    Motorola: V262, V265, V710
    Nokia: 6019i, 6585
    LG: LX5550, VX6100
    Audiovox: 8910

Out of those, the Nokia's don't have the port, and I was unable to look at an 8910 (but the 8900 has one) or a 7135, so I'm not sure about those. The rest all have a port. Mind you, these aren't universal ports, so the other question is will you be able to find an adaptor to fit your phone? That one I'm not sure.

Keep the Faith,

Lance
    Is this going to be in a car kit? The Nokia's have an adapter that goes on the cradle that connects an external antenna. Very nice.

Just have to be careful with using an external antenna without a cradle. I've seen lots of those RF ports ripped off the board, and if it takes the pad with it it's unrepairable
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGeek
    You will never find a more wretched hive of bad spelling and stupidity.
    Come to The Far Side. We have cookies

Phone
    Motorola VE20; Blackberry Tour 9630, Pearl 8120
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    i've seen them a lot of phones when using an external port many of them instantly go into analouge mode. Before purchasing one, i'd test it on the phone to make sure this doesn't occur. But yes, be ULTRA careful if not using it without a cradle (talking on a headset is probably the best idea), the repair of a broken RF port can sometimes exceed the value of the phone (especially if the board is broken)
    Use what works for you!

I have too many phones, with too many carriers. This is not a good thing.
    The Fleet:
    Blackberry 8100, 8120, 9630
    Motorola: V60t, V120x, StarTac 7787, T731c, V551, V810, V3m, Z6m, Q
    Nokia: 8260, 6161i, 3100b, 3220b, 8860, 3585, 6101, 6200, 6820, 6230b, 5300
    LG: VX4400, VX6000, VX10, VX2000, UX565
    Kyocera 2235
    Sony-Ericsson T637
    Samsung SCH-a670, SGH-T219
    HTC Dash

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This phone won't be used in car kit. I know the old Nokia's were notorious about breaking the external port. I'm leaning towards the LG VX-6100 based on initial price and how well my 4400 has performed. This phone will be in a house attached to an high-gain antenna mounted on the house. The house is in a poor signal area, the phone she's got now a (6019i) just goes into search mode and that's about it.
    There are several of no-signal places in North Texas and Southwest Oklahoma, but they are slowly going away. Those 5db antennas do make the difference

Thanks for all the replies !!!

John

Feedback Score
    You should also make note of those areas where you drop to analog or get no signal. Then report them to tech team, who can file a ticket for the engineers to check it out. If nothing else, it helps the engineers focus on where best to spend resources when upgrading or adding new towers.

By the way, the speakerphone works very well on the 6100. Very loud and no distortion in my experience.

Keep the Faith,

Lance

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does Nokia still use the kind of port that was on the 5160 on any phones? IIRC it was more like the Moto ports, in the back of the phone. Being I was using a 1900mhz provider back then I always had an antenna on the roof of the car...

Phones
    iPhone 4
    I'm a data nut!
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Most of the NEW Nokias DON'T have an RF port. Thats the main reason I really don't like to recommend a Nokia phone anymore.....Thank goodness the 6255 has a usuable port and Wilson is working on an adapter for that phone.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's good to hear... I consider an external antenna port to be a must for a phone.

Phones
    Motorola Electrify
    Motorola Electrify
    Retired=HTC Desire CDMA, HTC Touch Pro2
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic
    That's good to hear... I consider an external antenna port to be a must for a phone.
    Me too

Buddy

Phones
    iPhone 4
    I'm a data nut!
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't buy a phone today without an RF port. I sell alot of Wilson Products and most people are very surprised with how much difference they make when connected to the phone......I use a kyocera kx440 with a kyocera handsfree kit with a Wilson dual band 3-watt amp and there's not a whole lot of places I can't make a call.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You bring up one other requirement for me, besides the RF port.... the ability to interface the phone with a car kit. Must have.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    I'm a data nut!
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    We install about 10-15 car kits a week and most for Moto's(V551's to be exact).......My kyocera kit leaves a lot to be desired as you have to manually connect it to the phone via the headset plug everytime you take it in or out. You can't just pop it in the cradle and drive, but it works well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast