Phones
    |D) |R\ (O) |I| |D)
    BB Curve - Still love you
    BB 8703e (sold to a friend)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Voice Privacy

I did a search, but couldnt find anything on here about this.

What is Voice Privacy? I have it on my treo, but dont know what it is.

Phones
    LG Chocolate Blue Mint (VX8550)
    Motorola Q - Retired
    Motorola E815 - Retired
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Isn't supported by the networks.
    American by birth. Tattooed by choice. Irish by the grace of God.

Former Verizon Wireless WDTS.

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&Tingular
    Feedback Score
    Voice privacy is encryption for your voice. It prevents others from hearing your conversations.

Feedback Score
    I think Voice Privacy was an additional security layer invented after Sprint was able to hack and listen into CDMA phone calls using specialized Qualcomm-equipment over the air.http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...9158680,00.htm

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by impact93
    I think Voice Privacy was an additional security layer invented after Sprint was able to hack and listen into CDMA phone calls using specialized Qualcomm-equipment over the air.http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/commun...9158680,00.htm
    Unless you know the ESN of the phone, there is no practical way to intercept the upstream (phone to tower) data, since the signal spreading algorithm uses the ESN, and without knowing the spreading info, you cannot identify which parts of all the stuff on a CDMA carrier belongs to a particular call. The ESN is never sent over the air. If you have "acquired" the ESN by some means, you can decode the upstream signal with the right equipment. It's a whole lot easier for law enforcement to just have the tap put in the wireless provider's network. So "encryption" on CDMA networks is a bit redundant, since you cannot even find the signal unless you know the ESN.

Phones
    Samsung Alias II
    LG Spectrum
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by impact93
    It wasn't Sprint, it was Qualcomm.

And part of the text in that URL says:

"Irwin Jacobs, chairman of Qualcomm, a U.S. wireless technology firm that developed some of the CDMA technology, told the Korean news agency, Yonhap, that it was technologically possible to wiretap CDMA, but that the act is extremely difficult and requires intense effort with specialized equipment."

Not only is it hard to "spot" a particular phone's signal among all the others (all of them look like white noise), you also have to know the shared secret between the carrier and your phone.

GSM, on the other hand, has not only weak encryption to begin with (only 48 bits of the 64 aren't zero), that near real time key breaking is possible.
    This was in the press less than 2 years ago.

After that a call set-up vulnerability was disclosed (and not fixed) that makes
    it possible to get in on the call (and subsequently forge calls) at call set-up time.

And Motorola makes encrypted iDEN phones for US government agencies
    using Nextel.