Thread: What is the local calling area with a 416/647#

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What is the local calling area with a 416/647#

I was told that with a Fido 416/647 area code number you can receive calls locally from Oshawa in the East to Burlington in the West and Newmarket to the North.
    I was also told that if you are in Whitby/Oshawa/Burlington and want to call back to Toronto it is long distance.

Is this true? It just doesn't seem right to me. I thought if you could receive without long distance then you should be able to call back to this area without long distance.

Can anyone confirm?

Carrier
    Fido... I mean rogers...whatever it's all the same
    Feedback Score
    the local calling area for 416 is very similar to the old city Fido phone except barrie ( I think) so when u are in Oshawa Burlington, Newmarket Brampton and u receive a call u will not be charged LD but if u are in burlington and call TO it's LD.
    The thing the Local areas for receiving a call is different than the one for making calls

Phones
    Nokia 6020
    Nokia 1220 (tdma!) gone...
    Carriers
    Fido (2005)
    Verizon (1998), Cantel (1995)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by didouche
    ... but if u are in burlington and call TO it's LD.
    The thing the Local areas for receiving a call is different than the one for making calls
    i think (hope) you're wrong on this, didouche. i work in burlington and i was having some network (integration?) issues the other day when a call to 416 wasn't going through. i called customer service (i know you work there ) and they asked me where i was (burlington) and the number i was calling (416-xxx-xxxx) and the rep said "it's a local call so it must be an integration issue".

and while i know fido is not rogers (as is said here VERY often) my rogers account does not consider burlington LD for neither out-going nor incoming.

i have searched the entire fido site and googled "fido boundaries/zones/local zones/etc." and can't find any info. my local fido store doesn't even have any maps!

can somebody who has access to the "zone maps" confirm?

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Really depends on what part of Burlington you're in. I've found that generally anything east of the Guelph Line is local out-going to Toronto, west of the Guelph Line is long distance.

Phones
    Nokia 6020
    Carriers
    Fido (2005)
    Feedback Score
    i'm between guelph line and brant street...but that's just splitting hairs.

Carrier
    Fido... I mean rogers...whatever it's all the same
    Feedback Score
    like pk5u said it depends where u are in Burlington... only Cs has the tool to see if u are somewhere and u are calling somewhere if it will be LD but obviously I don't know all the local calling areas by heart

Phones
    Nokia 6020
    Carriers
    Fido (2005)
    Feedback Score
    are there actually areas in canada which would be local incoming and LD outgoing (or vice-versa)?

seems dumb, hard to enforce logically, and uneeded extra effort for the billing dept.!

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've an Oakville number, when I'm in Hamilton incoming calls are local. People from Toronto can call me locally, so I don't pay long distance when they call. However, to call them back I have to pay long distance. I can, however, still call Oakville locally.